Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The only word of caution I would offer is that on TGO, many members have dumped the rag joint in favor of a Jeep or Astro/Safari shaft that is a lot like that Borgeson piece. The only consistent comment or complaint about them is that they transfer a lot of steering pump noise up the shaft to the wheel and into the cabin. Some don't mind, others it drives the nuts.

Can't swear the Borg piece will do that, but any time you take some compliance and isolation out, it's probably realistic to expect a little more NVH.
    DynoDave
    POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

• That wouldn't surprise me, it is introducing much less compliance into the system - but I don't mind noise too much (if I want quiet, I have the Volt to drive). It doesn't sound like it transmits vibrations, though, so that is what matters.
      Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

• I didnt notice any difference when i changed to the LS1 shaft on my 4th gen, and that has essentially zero give to it.
        -Joel
        1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
        1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

• I got the shaft on Saturday morning (about 19 hours after I placed the order), should get the U-joints today.

Need to measure a bunch, and see how much material I need to cut off the shaft - obviously biasing towards being slightly too long, since it is collapsible. I don't have a chop saw, so going to get my arm workout in by using a hacksaw. Then once I confirm it is the proper length, I can go ahead and drill some very shallow holes to act as a positive engagement for the set screws, giving me some extra security in the joints not moving.

Somewhat unrelated: some people on NastyZ28 seem to be under the impression that the rag joint is a safety device. It is not - that is the collapsible column's job. The rag joint is there simply as a steering vibration dampener.

Comment

• Measuring was actually pretty easy. The shaft actually came with some thorough instructions - and the simple measurement I needed was just one from shaft to shaft. My brother took it with him to his co-op job, and is having one of the techs cut it down for me where I marked it - a whole lot easier than me taking an hour to cut through it (it is tubing on the larger end - but still 1" DD, with probably 3/16" walls) with a hacksaw. Should have that back today after work, then I can drill my through hole for the steering column side, as well as the inset for the set screw on the steering box side.

Comment

• Had the shaft cut down today to the measured length, then got my through hole at the column drilled, as well as the "inset" for the steering box side's set screw (to give it a bit more positive location). Just need to paint the shaft itself, but it was still too humid since we barely got any rain, despite the 90% chance all day...

New versus old (prior to drilling)

Shaft drilled

Test fitting everything, just need to paint.

Comment

• Shaft turned out pretty nice, all painted up. There's a small shaft jutting out of the end of the steering box input shaft that isn't allowing me to get the lower U-joint onto the steering box completely, so I need to figure out how to get that off...

Comment

• Turned out nice. Should feel better (steering) and improve header clearance. Double win.
                  DynoDave
                  POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

• Yup! Well, once I figure out how to get this smaller shaft off the input shaft...

Comment

• Glad its finally fixed and ready for cruising
                      -Joel

Comment

• Well, nothing is fixed yet. I have to cut off some of the small shaft at the end of the input splines to fit the new U-joint. Then it'll be ready to drive. Hopefully the guesslignment is decent enough.

Comment

• Well I'm glad it'll be ready for friday
                          -Joel

Comment

• I sure hope so. I'm sick of fixing this stupid thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by MP81 View Post
                              Well, nothing is fixed yet. I have to cut off some of the small shaft at the end of the input splines to fit the new U-joint. Then it'll be ready to drive. Hopefully the guesslignment is decent enough.
                              Aren't you worried about burning up those kickass performance tires with a bad alignment?
                              2000 SS Convertible #1414 - Light Pewter 6 Speed

Comment

• Not at all - I'm worried about it still trying to wander all over the road. It shouldn't, but I won't know until it's done.

Had my wife pick up some more cutoff wheels for my Dremel while she was at Meijer yesterday - as I found out I had zero (well, I had 3 or 4, but they were all shattered ) when I went to cut the shaft yesterday. Given its location, I believe the Dremel is my best bet anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X