MP81 likes this.
    -Joel
    1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
    1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeliusZ28 View Post
      Miiiiiiint
      You know it - and perhaps even more today!

Got the remainder of the steering linkage out (breaking it free from the pitman arm was a bit of a ***** - had to use the leverage from the entirely disconnected center link to finally pop it out), got the new stuff guesstimated (the tie rod assemblies) and installed. Also installed the new sway bar.

So, aside from a couple minor things, the front end is all done! Those "minor" things are having to wait until the front end is back on the ground to torque the sway bar end links and, before that...putting one more zerk fitting into the center link - one of the included ones did not have any threads. So I need to get one sent to me, I can put that in, put the wheels and tires back on, drop it down, torque the lugs and torque the end links. I also need to grease the ball joints - I'm not sure my grease gun is sealing properly to the zerk fitting to put grease into the ball joint, instead just oozing it out of the side of the zerk fitting where the connection to the grease gun is. I think I also need to tighten the lock nuts on the tie rod sleeves, as well.

Anyway, I'm pretty damn happy with the progress, especially with how little progress happened in the last month.

Steering linkage removed:

Old and new steering linkage compared:

New steering components installed:

New and old sway bar - 1 1/8" vs 1 3/8":

New sway bar installed - basically wraps up the front end:

Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

• Man, you're really going to enjoy the difference these parts are going to make...especially the shocks and sway bars.
        DynoDave
        POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

• Well I had the shocks before...but with sagging springs, it's not like they did much. I cannot wait to drive the car (once it has the proper alignment, obviously), like you said - it's going to be night and day!

Comment

• Sweet, Proforged is sending me another zerk fitting today. Great customer service!

Comment

• Got the replacement zerk fittings (they sent me two) yesterday - and three stickers!!! Stickers are very important. Based on the overall product quality, and the customer service I recieved, definitely would recommend their products.

Sunday I am free, so I can get the front end all finished up and back on the ground, then start working on the rear end.

Comment

• .............I hate when my work browser won't allow pictures to load. Sounds like you're making progress Kyle.
                West Michigan Pontiac Club

"A Camaro looks like it can kick your a**, a Trans Am is coming over to do it"

Comment

• Yeah, a lot of them are pulled off FB - they'll show up for me, but not always work for everyone. They used to work, but then they changed the linking scheme and screwed it all up.

I need to see if Amazon Prime's photo hosting works for this purpose...

Comment

• Like the photos in #362...those are from FB? I don't have FB, but I can see them.
                    DynoDave
                    POCI # 72200

Comment

• Yup, those are all FB!

Comment

• Got the zerk fitting I needed (Proforged's customer service is great) installed, tightened up the jam nuts on the tie rods, and got the wheels/tires back on and the car back on the ground. Torqued the sway bar end links and the front end was done.

The car sits...about exactly how it sat before. . But I expected that, with how much those stockers were likely sagging.

Cleaned up all my old parts and moved them to the basement, started the car (since I haven't in about 3 months), and then went to start on the rear end of the car.

And that's when I discovered my jack won't jack - at least not with the short throw I'm relegated to lifting it up by the rear end...so, that's great...I PB Blasted all the bolts/nuts in preparation to actually being able to jack the back end up - and also noticed that the clunking I kept hearing out back while driving it was more than likely the fact the rear sway bar is totally broken on the left side.

I also swapped the new "Exact Fit" wipers on that hopefully won't get stuck under the cowl like the previously-new ones I put on there before.

Back on the ground

Shiny new components

Wipers

Last edited by MP81; April 29th, 2018, 04:19 PM.

Comment

• Started on the rear end of the car today. Removed the (broken) rear sway bar, then removed the right rear leaf and put the new Hotchkis spring on. It wasn't really too hard to do, but boy was it just a lot of effort considering almost all the bolts/nuts are just huge (and the new bolts that went on are even bigger)!

I'm sure glad I decided to get band clamps for the exhaust - loosening the one on the tailpipes made it simple to just drop them down to get access.

Right rear leaf spring and sway bar removed

Leaf spring bushings - some have definitely seen better days.

Stock rear sway bar. The endlink upper bushings definitely show some wear (especially the left side, with how much more it flopped around being broken).

Drilled-out U-bolt holes on the axle and the lower plate:

New vs old leaf springs

New Hotchkis leaf spring installed

Last edited by MP81; May 5th, 2018, 09:35 PM.

Comment

• Easier than the front it looks like. 3 down, 1 corner to go.
                            DynoDave
                            POCI # 72200

Comment

• Yeah - I was honestly a little nervous going into it, given I've never done leaf springs before. But aside from the extra oomph you need to put in due to the size of all the hardware, it really was quite straightforward. Getting the front eye bolt loose was a bit of a chore, since it is done off the vehicle - you basically have to rotate the front mounting bracket until it bottoms out on the leaf, while standing on the leaf, but eventually it breaks loose and then is fine.

The springs come with new nut clips for the front, and all new hardware, so everything gets replaced, which is great. At least on the right side, the outermost brake line clip on the axle can no longer be used, as the inner U-Bolt sits right next to it now (the car didn't have inner U-bolts, as there were T-bolts that held the sway bar in place. But I think it should be okay, as it all moves together, I just need to push the line back into the clip closer to the pumpkin.

Drilling out the bolt holes wasn't too bad either, as the holes are just a bit smaller than a 1/2" anyway, and I found I have like...3 air drills (all my dad's...crazy they still work for how old they are, at least 40 years, probably).

The hardest part was probably getting the bushing sleeve into the frame mount for the shackles, because some idiot didn't lube the inside of the bushings... I won't be making that mistake on the left side. Oh, and the other pain in the ass was drying to basically bench press the leaf spring up while trying to bolt it in. They weigh about 40lbs a piece, so it isn't the greatest thing, haha.

Last thing after the left leaf is that rear swaybar, but I may need to get a right angle air drill, as I have to drill like 7.5 holes...ugh.

Comment

• Got the left side tackled today - everything went a bit quicker given I now knew what to expect, and knew the process, making everything easier - well, aside from moving.

All that is left for installation is the rear sway bar, but I need to see if I will need a new drill or not. I won't have any time next weekend, so it won't likely be until the next weekend that I'll be able to tackle it.

Left spring out of the car

Bushings weren't terrible, but certainly have seen better days

Old vs new

Drilled out the U-bolt holes

New nut clips in the front mount

Both springs in the car (last couple pics are a bit blurry)

Left rear shackle

Brake lines put back "into" place - can't use 2 of the 3 clips, with the inner U-bolts, but this should work plenty fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X