Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, it still needs a good amount of work/tweaking, but at least it's a decent starting point, unlike the previous one, which was so colossally bad I'd have just wasted my time.
    Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

• Looks like I can finally update this, even just slightly - got the front end up in the air today, so I could pull the O2 sensor out and make a true extension harness and not have to cut up the new O2 that I bought for the car when I put the headers in.

I also pulled the front wheels off to check on why the brakes were basically screeching any time I used them the last time I drove the car - the RF inner pad's squealer (or more like "screecher") was touching the rotor. I've still got about 1/4" of pad left, so I bent the tab back a bit so I can run them down a touch more.

Comment

• Getting ready for a little springtime cruising are we?
        DynoDave
        POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

• About time I get to work on the car, huh?

Comment

• I have NO room to make comments like that my friend!
            DynoDave
            POCI # 72200

Comment

• Haha - I've been lagging pretty badly on getting all the work done on both cars before it's time to break them out for the season, so it really is about time. I really was waiting on making sure my brother's car was all done (at least replacing the harness) before I went and put my jacks/stands/cribs out of commission. Figured I had "plenty of time" during winter, so of course it's now March.

Since I pushed the wear-indicator back, the brakes should be good for the year, but the bigger thing is doing this with the O2 and then replacing the upper coolant temp sensor (and corresponding harness clip, since they conveniently sell zero sensors that use the factory connector. Said connector is barely attached with more than 2 strands of wires anyway, so it's by no means any kind of big loss). Hopefully the two latter items allow this carb to finally work properly...it's back to where it always was, funky-ass idle and all, but if that's the case, the car should have no issues going to WOT, at least.

Guess we'll see!

Then I have some work to do on the Cobalt as well, just to further add to my list of shit to do.

Comment

• I may or may not have tackled this during work today - this will be light years better than a simply-extended O2 sensor, and will allow me to use a sensor that isn't a questionable number of decades old...with the side benefit of not turning the sensor wiring into a giant spiral. I can get this "permanently" mounted into the vehicle and just disconnect right at the sensor end.

So I probably should order a new coolant sensor for the top, maybe.

Comment

• Installed the new O2 sensor today...and the car literally sat at 700 RPM for 20 minutes. It never jumped up and went all over the place like it used to. It idled flawlessly. Rev it up, and they came back down - they didn't hang up.

My assumption is that the old O2 (picture below) was reading lean, so that "jump" in RPM I always noticed was the car going into closed loop, where it would just throw fuel into the carb to "correct" it, causing the revs to spike up, and hang.

Once it's a touch warmer, I'll get coverage back on the car and take it out and see if it truly solved the issues!

Comment

• And for those with Facebook...

https://www.facebook.com/514618596/v...7216454793597/

Comment

• Excellent!

Old O2 on the right? What the paste on the threads of the new one?
                      DynoDave
                      POCI # 72200

Comment

• Correct - and that's just the anti-seize it comes with already applied.

Comment

Working...
                        X