Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As far as I know, it's never been removed from the vehicle.
    Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

• Yikes!

Not since 1981? I'm surprised it run at all! Give that thing a rebuild before you throw in the towel. A little carb work should be old hat for a Rendezvous tech like yourself.
      DynoDave
      POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

• I rebuilt mine and it helped quite a bit. Unfortunately didn't help enough because I had a lean spot at the top of the throttle and ultimately i screwed things way up when i took it back apart to remove the anti-tamper caps on the APT. A tweak of that adjustment was all i would have needed to get it perfect.

I did all that because I wanted to learn carbs. Honestly i regret even bothering with it. Ive had the truck 3 years now and it still hasn't run up to my standards. For me its gonna be fitech/sniper everything from now on. If there was a Q-jet expert around the corner to answer my questions like there probably was 20 years ago, things might be different.
        Last edited by JoeliusZ28; April 12th, 2019, 07:39 AM.
        -Joel
        1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
        1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

• I'm hoping that Masterworks' "Qjet guy" is there when I bring the car down for an alignment, maybe he can give it a look over.

I hear the throttle shaft sometimes gets sticky, but the fact that it can go from a decent idle rpm and suddenly - like a switch was flipped - go up to like 1500 is what boggles me. It'll happen with no input from anything, it's just sitting there running and then it just pops up. It's GOT to be something causing it, but it might almost be too quick to be mechanical.

Comment

• Originally posted by MP81 View Post
            I'm hoping that Masterworks' "Qjet guy" is there when I bring the car down for an alignment, maybe he can give it a look over.

I hear the throttle shaft sometimes gets sticky, but the fact that it can go from a decent idle rpm and suddenly - like a switch was flipped - go up to like 1500 is what boggles me. It'll happen with no input from anything, it's just sitting there running and then it just pops up. It's GOT to be something causing it, but it might almost be too quick to be mechanical.
            Actually that sounds like your A/C high idle mode is getting triggered. There are two idle speed adjustments on the Qjet... the primary which is on the passenger side and the secondary / AC idle which is on the passenger. (There's also a mechanical high idle for the choke). I would see if adjusting the A/C idle circuit while its revving high like that brings it back down. if it does, you know something is electronically triggering that high idle mode. The first thing to do would be to bring that down to something more reasonable like 900 rpm instead of 1500. (my truck was originally set at like 1200 which was also ridiculous). Second would be to figure out whats triggering it.

However that being said i seem to remember your RPMs were creeping up. The AC circuit should be on or off... no in between.
            -Joel

Comment

• Yeah, that's what I've thought in the past too - but I've looked and that solenoid isn't pushing on the throttle linkage. I should be able to disconnect it just to be sure.

When the car idles properly, it sits down at 750. But it usually takes a shitload of heavy revs to get it to finally drop on down.

Comment

• Originally posted by MP81 View Post
                Yeah, that's what I've thought in the past too - but I've looked and that solenoid isn't pushing on the throttle linkage. I should be able to disconnect it just to be sure.

When the car idles properly, it sits down at 750. But it usually takes a shitload of heavy revs to get it to finally drop on down.
                If you can see the solenoid is not pressing, then it isn't that. Bummer.
                -Joel

Comment

• Yeah - but it's a "switch effect" like if it were...it'll suddenly click up to a higher idle (and I swear I hear some kind of click, but that could be mind, or the linkage or something) all on it's own.

It's so odd.

Comment

• Yeah, I think this will work a lot better...

JoeliusZ28 likes this.

Comment

• Looks better than the T-handle IMO
                      -Joel

Comment

• I think it will. The T-handle looks sweet, but there's just something about the classic white Hurst cue-ball. And it'll be a lot more comfortable to use - the T-handle could be...clunky...you really have to pay attention when you go to grab it.

Comment

• My '91 RS shift knob was roughly that size. I loved it.
                          DynoDave
                          POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

• T handles showed up in the early 70?s. Never cared for them. A ball is better, but nothing can top a Pistol Grip shifter in an E-body Mopar.
                            When in doubt, Whip it out !

Comment

Working...
                            X