• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DynoDave
    POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

• Speaking of "screaming", now that I have an actual accurate tach reading with the new cluster, it's readily apparent that when I was shifting at what I thought was probably redline and what "felt" like the right time to shift is definitely not redline...but is still the time I shift. I'm not sure I've ripped it out entirely to redline, because it doesn't really...do anything...past where I feel like shifting.

But who knows, I forget where I set the redline indicator at. It's not like I'm exactly staring at the tach while I'm driving.
      Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

• That's a good point. As you change things on the engine (headers, cam, etc.) you move the power band. So the redline on the factory tach becomes less relevant. I'd probably still be shifting by the seat of my pants in that case.
        DynoDave
        POCI # 72200

Comment

• The factory redline is hilariously low, at 5000 RPM, though. The heads just don't flow well.

If I change heads and throw in a cam (and obviously an intake along with it all), then it'll probably have no issue revving up to, or past, that "redline".

Comment

• Yeah, mine goes "yellow" at 4500, red at 5k.
            DynoDave
            POCI # 72200

Comment

• It's the same redline as my wife's Cruze Diesel.

Comment

• With those swirl port heads, restrictive exhaust, peanut cam, and a torque peak at 2400rpm, it really is all over by 4500.
                DynoDave
                POCI # 72200

Comment

• Yeah, it doesn't do jack shit past that, except make a bunch of noise - you know, like a Mustang.

So, I still need to get this thing aligned, but with this fall's weather being absolute garbage - cold and constantly raining, I really don't expect that I'll drive the car again for the rest of this year. And even if I did decide to take it down to get aligned - the car has no functional heat, so it won't even be comfortable.

Thinking I might call it for the year (with both cars), get them plugged in and moved to storage insurance.

What a terrible, terrible fall.

Comment

• Yes, week of working all week to get to the weekend, then having it be rainy both days. Not helping me get my outdoor chores done.
                    DynoDave
                    POCI # 72200

Comment

• Me neither - I still at some point need to take the hose out of the reel, drain that, and drain the shorter hose on the other side of the house. I also need to get the grille put into the garage as well. But all of those things usually happen after I do not need the lawnmower anymore. Given the cold temps at night - and cold temps in the day, I wouldn't be surprised if one more mow - real short, should cover it for the remainder of the year.

Of course, with all the rain, my yard will be a disgusting squishy muddy mess.

Comment

• Yeah, I definitely need to get in one more mowing before I put the mower away.
                        DynoDave
                        POCI # 72200

Comment

• Yep, last mow is done, hoses and grill are in the garage and outside water is turned off. Volt/Cruze switched over to winter tires and planning to get the Cobalt switched over to the all-seasons for winter storage. Thinking I might want to turn the Camaro around for winter so that the exhaust points out, as I like to start it and let it run for a bit a few times during the winter, and would rather not fill the garage with exhaust.

Comment

• Well, I was going to take the car out yesterday, but it was not sunny at all, wasn't particularly warm (an issue in a car with no working heat) and the thought of going back onto the road would have likely ended with me committing some form of light murder, so the car stayed put.

I did check the power steering and that dipstick was entirely dry. Explains the screaming it was doing the last time I drove it. I filled it up - which resulted in it overflowing much quicker than I expected, and made a large mess, and is overfull now. I'm hoping that it sucks some down since it was so low before.

But I'm pretty sure I'm just going to call it for the year and plug the car into the battery tender - the Cobalt already is, as of yesterday (after I brought out the big charger because its battery was totally dead).

On the note of modifications over the winter - does anyone have or know anyone with Corbeau seats? I'm considering the LG1s, as they have a shit ton of bolstering, yet don't look out of place (Super Chevy swapped them into an early 2nd gen and they looked good).
                            Last edited by MP81; November 9th, 2018, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X