Clear All

• Those super chargers are made here in michigan
    When in doubt, Whip it out !

Comment

• Well no shit!
      Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

• I'll have to read that article. Interesting. Never heard of that brand of supercharger.
        DynoDave
        POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

• Problem is even that boost application used TFS heads. The wheezy stock heads and cost of those TFS replacements are 90% of the problem with building a 305. A 350 with a set of vortecs has neither of those problems to start with and you can bolt the same supercharger on and make more power for less money if you know where to look.

Point is, if GM had simply given the 305 some decent heads to start with, it would have much less of a crappy reputation and be worth building. The HOs were probably the closest thing to OK, but thats not what either Kyle or myself are working with.

Technically theres no reason not to throw a set of those heads on, and whatever boost system and make relatively decent power. Its just the polar opposite of cost effective and tends to makes the statement you have a habit of overlooking better options Building one in the name of "science" can be fun so long as all the parts you select can get transferred to a 350 once you blow up the 305.
          Last edited by JoeliusZ28; December 24th, 2018, 09:24 AM.
          -Joel
          1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
          1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

• Plus the fact that you can buy a decent running 5.3 LS for what those heads will cost and be that much farther ahead.

Comment

• That's kind of my thought - whatever I install on/in the 305 can be sold, as used, once I swap to an LS engine in the future.

As it stands right now, I have absolutely no space to do any kind of engine swap. Joel has seen my garage - it's god damn tiny. The Camaro barely fits in there, so there is definitely no space to have two cars and an engine on a stand, with room to work on it.

If TFS heads and a cam get me something that makes the 305 significantly more fun to drive, that I can sell once I am ready (and by "I", I mean my garage, once it is expanded) to swap engines, then why not.

The TFS heads are about $1100, assembled, for the set, and are aluminum - so that is weight off the front end (combine that with an aluminum intake for even more flow and weight savings), and along with a cam, and maybe Fitech (instead of tuning the computer-controlled Qjet - I'll need a fuel system setup for fuel injection anyway, so that's not a wasted step right there) should make the 305 pretty damn stout, for what it is, for really not a whole shit ton of money - roughly what I spent on the suspension, to be honest.

I'm glad Summit didn't have a sale on TFS during Black Friday, or being the dumbass I am, I'd have bought them, and for a third year in a row, had a disassembled car come cruising season.

As it stands, I just need and alignment and she's good to go. I'm hoping to keep it that way.

Seats might happen, but if they're the Corbeaus I am looking at, those have bolt-in brackets.

Comment

• Was watching a car auction show a couple of days ago. Had a very nice 3rd gen with a 5.3. I think it sold for $14k.

Comment

• Originally posted by MP81 View Post
                  That's kind of my thought - whatever I install on/in the 305 can be sold, as used, once I swap to an LS engine in the future.

As it stands right now, I have absolutely no space to do any kind of engine swap. Joel has seen my garage - it's god damn tiny. The Camaro barely fits in there, so there is definitely no space to have two cars and an engine on a stand, with room to work on it.

If TFS heads and a cam get me something that makes the 305 significantly more fun to drive, that I can sell once I am ready (and by "I", I mean my garage, once it is expanded) to swap engines, then why not.

The TFS heads are about $1100, assembled, for the set, and are aluminum - so that is weight off the front end (combine that with an aluminum intake for even more flow and weight savings), and along with a cam, and maybe Fitech (instead of tuning the computer-controlled Qjet - I'll need a fuel system setup for fuel injection anyway, so that's not a wasted step right there) should make the 305 pretty damn stout, for what it is, for really not a whole shit ton of money - roughly what I spent on the suspension, to be honest.

I'm glad Summit didn't have a sale on TFS during Black Friday, or being the dumbass I am, I'd have bought them, and for a third year in a row, had a disassembled car come cruising season.

As it stands, I just need and alignment and she's good to go. I'm hoping to keep it that way.

Seats might happen, but if they're the Corbeaus I am looking at, those have bolt-in brackets.
                  If you are going to sell the heads you should buy them used now, otherwise youre going to eat the cost of depreciation when it comes time to sell them.

Your garage is small, but I think an engine swap can still be done
                  -Joel

Comment

• With so many people focusing on the LS platform it would seem that the market for SBC parts should be down. Would be a good time to try to snag good used parts at a decent price.

Comment

• Detroit Automotive Swap Meet
                      Add To Outlook Calendar
                      Event Description
                      Dates: January 5 - 6, 2019​

Times: Saturday: 7 am - 6 pm
                      Sunday: 8 am - 3 pm

Admission: Weekend pass - $10.00

Women and Kids - Free

Location of Event: Hall C

Event Description: Clean out your garage and turn those unused auto parts into cash! Come out and see new and used high performance and collector car parts, tools, literature, and other accessories!

Parking Fee: $5.00

Contact Information: Huey at 513-616-4840

https://secure.suburbancollectionsho...8&oc=10&cc=COE

Web Site: www.facebook.com/detroitswapmeet/
                      DynoDave
                      POCI # 72200

Comment

• I picked up a set of World Products Torquer S/R 305s for mine. Revised ports, 1.94 intakes, screw-in studs, Crane 96802 springs for roller cam, 16k miles on them, 58cc chambers, and are a "Std." Chevy head, not requiring a Vortec intake, springs, etc. $400 + shipping.

I had hoped to find a set of Vortec L30 (305) heads, but they are not easy to come by. And they require Vortec parts, which a somewhat less likely to be swapmeet items. Plus by the time you buy used, and have them reworked (or buy some already refreshed), they are $600+. I think the chamber and ports one the 059 L30 heads might be slightly better than the WP S/R, but that's just a gut feeling.

You can use (I'm told) L31 5.7L Vortec heads on a 305, but you'll lose some C/R, and I could never warm to the idea of having a lip at the top of the chamber, no matter how slight.
                        DynoDave
                        POCI # 72200

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeliusZ28 View Post
                          If you are going to sell the heads you should buy them used now, otherwise youre going to eat the cost of depreciation when it comes time to sell them.
                          Originally posted by farmington View Post
                          With so many people focusing on the LS platform it would seem that the market for SBC parts should be down. Would be a good time to try to snag good used parts at a decent price.
                          That's what I'm going to try and look to see if I can find, maybe on eBay so I can search by part number. I went used for a lot of the parts on the Cobalt - almost all of the SC swap and suspension swap were used. Mainly because I was in college, so the cost of new wasn't something I could afford - and used was perfectly fine.

As long as they're not like the AFR heads my buddy, his friend and I drove all the way out to Monroe to look at for his '88 5.0, then we're good. They had chunks of piston in the combustion chambers, and the guy was convinced the heads were fine and still wanted $1200 for what was essentially trash.

His girlfriend was hot though, and she drove an absolutely flawless light-yellow 3rd gen Firebird. It was a non-V8 car, and was immaculate, so at least the trip wasn't a complete loss.

Originally posted by JoeliusZ28 View Post
                          Your garage is small, but I think an engine swap can still be done
                          If I remember, I'll go snap a picture when I get home. I can barely fit between the nose of the car and the garage door - and it's backed up to the point where any further and the drawers won't open to give me access to my tools.

Originally posted by DynoDave View Post
                          I picked up a set of World Products Torquer S/R 305s for mine. Revised ports, 1.94 intakes, screw-in studs, Crane 96802 springs for roller cam, 16k miles on them, 58cc chambers, and are a "Std." Chevy head, not requiring a Vortec intake, springs, etc. $400 + shipping.

I had hoped to find a set of Vortec L30 (305) heads, but they are not easy to come by. And they require Vortec parts, which a somewhat less likely to be swapmeet items. Plus by the time you buy used, and have them reworked (or buy some already refreshed), they are $600+. I think the chamber and ports one the 059 L30 heads might be slightly better than the WP S/R, but that's just a gut feeling.

You can use (I'm told) L31 5.7L Vortec heads on a 305, but you'll lose some C/R, and I could never warm to the idea of having a lip at the top of the chamber, no matter how slight.
                          That's the nice part about the TFS 23 heads - they have a small chamber specifically suited for the small bore of a 305, which is what drew me to them (especially since they've been used on multiple magazine 305 builds). And being aluminum, they'd be a massive weight savings off the front end.

I still have to see what would be necessary, with those heads, to support a roller cam. Flat tappet is much easier and cheaper, since it's a pre-roller engine, but if I don't need those lifters with the linkage to support a roller, then why not?

Comment

If I remember, I'll go snap a picture when I get home. I can barely fit between the nose of the car and the garage door - and it's backed up to the point where any further and the drawers won't open to give me access to my tools.

Youre still assuming the entire job has to be done in the garage . If you have it planned out well, you should be able to knock the majority of the swap out in the driveway in a couple hours before the neighborhood association has a chance to notice
                            -Joel

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeliusZ28 View Post

Youre still assuming the entire job has to be done in the garage . If you have it planned out well, you should be able to knock the majority of the swap out in the driveway in a couple hours before the neighborhood association has a chance to notice
                              Well, in the summer I don't care - I can open the door and have plenty of room.

I'd want to work over winter, which is where the space limitation becomes a problem.

Comment

Well, in the summer I don't care - I can open the door and have plenty of room.

I'd want to work over winter, which is where the space limitation becomes a problem.
                                Youre still mentally limiting yourself. No, youre not going to do it in a snowstorm but if you have a dry day like we have now it'll be fine. If everything is disconnected and ready to go you just roll the car out.... yank engine.... set engine down... pick up new engine, drop it in loosely on the mounts, then roll the car back in the garage. Could literally be a 20 minute task. And of course also have a truck ready to dispose of the 305.
                                Last edited by JoeliusZ28; January 3rd, 2019, 02:11 PM.
                                -Joel

Comment

Working...
                                X