Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good to see it up and running! Did you take it out to Woodward tonight? I"m over on the other side of the state, so was not able to hit Woodward.

I've always heard good things about Fairchild...this experience just adds to that.
    DynoDave
    POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

• Yup - I went and got gas earlier in the day, and ended up deciding to take it to Woodward, since I might not have another opportunity to do so this year. I just screwed the armrest directly into the door - it's supremely uncomfortable to drive the car without one - my elbow just hangs in space while using the wheel - no thanks.

So, long story short...car really didn't run great on the way there, and especially on the way back. I mean, no incidents where it wanted to stall or anything, just hit the gas and it just sputters and has very little power before suddenly clearing up and then it's fine. It did it more often than not...but there were those "not" times where it was fine. I have no clue, but it's obnoxious.

I think I need to check fuel pressure - maybe I'm dealing with a shitty fuel pump? Maybe it's because I'm probably low on oil (it's hard to tell what my actual oil level is with that stupid aftermarket dipstick/tube, but there's like...1mm of oil on it)? Who knows.

With the calibration, it should be a set it and forget it...not **** with it every time you drive the car.
      Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

• Originally posted by MP81 View Post
        With the calibration, it should be a set it and forget it...not **** with it every time you drive the car.
        Very true. I'd check the filter along with the pump if you think low fuel might be the culprit. Have you had the tank out of that car? I can't remember....

DynoDave
        POCI # 72200

Comment

• Filter is only in the carb inlet, and was replaced when I rebuilt the carb last September, but the fuel pump remains a constant. I wish there was an easy way to test it, like with a schrader valve on a fuel rail (I have a fuel pressure tester, but it's basically only for fuel injection), but not really. I don't want to replace something that isn't broken, especially right now, but at least it's literally right there on the passenger side of the block - with a huge path cleared because there is no smog pump or air injection valves in the way.

Tank has never been out of the car, but it is full now, so that would be...fun...given how large (capacity) it is. I did think about that while filling up.

Comment

• Burn that gas up this Friday on Woodward!

I would still check that filter in the carb. It will give you some idea how mush trash might be lurking inside the tank.

If you do the pump, don't forget about the pushrod.

Last edited by DynoDave; September 30th, 2020, 05:48 PM.
            DynoDave
            POCI # 72200

Comment

• It wouldn't be the worst idea to check. Getting the fuel line out is just a bit of a *****. It's not hard to get to...but it's hard to get a wrench on it without it rounding off.

At that point I might as well try and see how much it's pumping out. Maybe I can figure out some way to get some fuel line or something on it to measure pressure.

Comment

• Just got the new left hand seal from Fairchild, and now I have the matching set! That only took two months, in total. RockAuto absolutely sucked, while Fairchild was a hero!

Makes for an easier comparison to just how gigantic what is on the car right now is compared to the Fairchild (left), which looks to mimic the factory seal much better. The rear "knob" of the seal is very evident of this - the Fairchild is "carved out" while the other seal is all filled in, and all the rubber on it is way too stiff.

I'll probably wait until next week when it's a little warmer to swap the seals (especially because my Cobalt will be at the dealer - and thus, out of the garage, giving me a lot more room to work on the Camaro).
                Last edited by MP81; October 1st, 2020, 03:27 PM.
                DynoDave likes this.

Comment

• Excellent! I'm glad they came through for you.

Yes, I remember that nut on the Q-jet. Not fun.

Not a relative, and less than scientific, but the difference is dramatic.

DynoDave
                  POCI # 72200

Comment

• Yup! They rock! Can't wait to get em in the car...and my wife can't wait for those door panels to be out of the house.

As far as the fuel pump, I don't want to pull it off...but a few cranks should tell me what I need to know!

Sounds like I probably need body mounts too...explains the giant tire rub I have on the rear of the left tire on left turns...the alignment holes are off by about 1/4"...

Comment

• Installed the new Fairchild door seals last Wednesday, but only got a couple good pics of what was on the car (off the car) compared to the new ones. Pretty obvious the old ones are a lot thicker in areas they shouldn't be, but the pictures don't show just how stiff the old seals - two years old now - still are, in addition to being too large.

I went and installed the door panels today (as well as the vapor barrier on the driver side door, which has been sitting inside for almost as long as the door panels have, as I Gorilla-taped it back together, haha), and my god, what a difference. The felts touch the windows, and they sit entirely correct now. Only took six months!

This is actually the first time the left door panel has had the door handle surround since owning the car, nice not to see the metal inner door panel anymore. But it's nice to finally have the door panels reinstalled.

Comment

• Those look great. New seals, felt...all makes a big difference.
                        DynoDave
                        POCI # 72200

Comment

• Absolutely.

And not having the vapor barrier taking up the dining room table and the door panels on top of the dog's crate...makes someone else happy.

You still gotta slam the doors - but I had to do that even after I removed the seal entirely, so...something else is causing that, but I feel like after sitting closed for the weekend, I didn't have to slam it as hard, compared to the old seals, and it's only been less than a week.
                          Last edited by MP81; October 13th, 2020, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X