Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a small bullet heater that runs on propane that I?m not using if you would like to borrow it. Have a half full propane tank too
    When in doubt, Whip it out !

Comment

• The propane stinks a whole lot less than kerosene. s.reef and I used a kerosene bullet when we were working on the Monte and man that thing put out some fumes.
      mcalus likes this.
      Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

• The kerosene makes my eyes water after a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by farmington
          I have a small bullet heater that runs on propane that I?m not using if you would like to borrow it. Have a half full propane tank too
          I really appreciate it! My dad has one I?ll see if I can borrow and see how it does but thank you for the offer!!

I have been thinking of more stuff I need to buy yet. I wanted to do it slowly along the way but I don?t think that?s going to happen since as soon as I install one thing I?ll need the other to move on.

Stuff I still need. Also where are my go-to places for this stuff? I know TSP has all of it but their shipping seems kinda high. Should I check amazon first? Has anyone heard of Michigan motorsports on amazon?

LS7 lifters- $110 MM
          Timing cover/water pump gaskets- $40 Tick
          Blue printed oil pump- $140 Tick (blueprinted?
          Timing set- $110 Hawks
          Plugs and wires- $100
          Longtubes-$220 speed engineering
          Comp Trunion kit- $130 Tick
          Trans cooler- $100 TSP
          Frost tune- $200
          Fluids-
          Headgaskets-
          Head bolts-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          2002 Z28 Camaro A4
          1993 Z28 Camaro M6- SOLD
          1999 Z28 Camaro M6- SOLD
          2008 Ford Fusion SE - DD
          -- MCALUS MOLDED PILLAR PODS, PM ME FOR MORE INFO--
          sigpic

Comment

• Summit/Jegs are always a good resource, too. They've been running some promo codes off total purchases as of late - but none right now.
            mcalus likes this.

Comment

• No to the Comp trunion kit. They wear out. Check out the kit from CHE. Uses bronze bushings instead of roller bearings.
              mcalus likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by farmington
                No to the Comp trunion kit. They wear out. Check out the kit from CHE. Uses bronze bushings instead of roller bearings.
                Good call I was wondering the difference between all of the kits! Thank you!

2002 Z28 Camaro A4
                1993 Z28 Camaro M6- SOLD
                1999 Z28 Camaro M6- SOLD
                2008 Ford Fusion SE - DD
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by MP81 View Post
                  The propane stinks a whole lot less than kerosene. s.reef and I used a kerosene bullet when we were working on the Monte and man that thing put out some fumes.
                  Of the two I used to have, one was much cleaner running than the other. It would always have a totally cherry red/orange nose cone when running. The other was always slower starting, and the cone would only get orange around the very edge. The center stayed darker. THAT ONE would make your eyes water. I ran it as little as possible, and it eventually died.
                  mcalus likes this.
                  DynoDave
                  POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

• Originally posted by mcalus View Post
                    Either of these options sound like my best bang for my buck.

I'm certainly not "up" on the latest machine shop pricing. But that doesn't sound bad to me. On the face of it, I'd want the bigger valves for only $200 more. But...that all the seats removed and replaced, along with the other labor to be performed either way. Seems very cheap to me. I'd certainly like to know where those stainless valves are coming from. If they are chinese, I'd personally be hesitant.
                    DynoDave
                    POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

• Lloyd has been around for years. He is really well know in the LT1 crowd. I?d definitely take his recommendations, although to answer your question I have no idea if they are Chinese parts or not lol.

Anyone ever used old wheels as jack stands? I did this back in the day for my cam swap on my lt1 and my long tubes on my 99 but I?m trying to be wiser as I get older lol it seemed like they flexed when I let the weight of the car on them.

2002 Z28 Camaro A4
                      1993 Z28 Camaro M6- SOLD
                      1999 Z28 Camaro M6- SOLD
                      2008 Ford Fusion SE - DD
                      sigpic

Comment

• I never have, but meissen did when the engine got yanked.

mcalus likes this.

Comment

• The baby let me get some stuff done to the car tonight lol.

Removed the lid, maf, tb, lid base/radiator thing, water pump, belt, unclipped the harness from the back of the fans, unplugged fans.

I need to get a (13mm I believe) line wrench for the bottom trans cooler line. I didn?t want to strip it out so I called it a night.

Do people usually install a 160 thermostat in the LS cars?

Should I replace the water pump?

Only other thing I noticed is I have a small oil leak either coming from the rear main or the oil pan.

Come assembly time now is the time I should flush the coolant really well and switch to green?

JoeliusZ28 likes this.
                          2002 Z28 Camaro A4
                          1993 Z28 Camaro M6- SOLD
                          1999 Z28 Camaro M6- SOLD
                          2008 Ford Fusion SE - DD
                          sigpic

Comment

• You can switch to green if you'd like, but modern Dexcool is plenty good stuff, without all the nasty side effects it had when it first was introduced. Does a great job at its function as coolant and lasts a long time, as well.

And it's orangish-pink, so it's pretty.

Comment

• in my experience the problem with dexcool is when it does break down and go bad it does so very quickly. so as long as youre ahead of the recommend maintenance schedule with changes it shouldn't be a problem. I'd never go 100k miles on a change, probably do more like 5 years / 50k whichever comes first.
                              -Joel
                              1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
                              1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

• Honestly, I can't say I've seen anything like that in the Cobalt...and I'm getting pretty close to 100k on the build...something like 85k since I installed the M62...:wow:

I have it in both the engine and the heat exchanger circuit (separate).

But being this is a "fun" car, that coolant will probably come out, for some reason or another, well before 100k - if the car even sees that many miles. Mine was my DD for a long while - including the first year or so up in Flushing - but now it's a car I drive maybe 1k miles a year?

Comment

Working...
                                X