Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't take strength into consideration when picking something like that. Couldn't care less really. And again, said if it was going to be a manual swap car
    1994 Z28 - 2002 M3 - 2015 1.0T Mileage Accumulator

sigpic

Comment

• The majority of people don?t consider it. Most won?t consider it even after they?ve broken 3 sets of 4.10 gears at the drag strip. Still a real thing though
      MP81 likes this.
      -Joel
      1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
      1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

• I seem to remember reading that the 3.90 gear set was the strongest of all the 10 bolt sets.
        When in doubt, Whip it out !

Comment

• What brand is my best bet? What?s an average price? My co worker should be able to help install them. I have traction control but 2.73s so that means it?s a 2 series 4 channel right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          2002 Z28 Camaro A4
          1993 Z28 Camaro M6- SOLD
          1999 Z28 Camaro M6- SOLD
          2008 Ford Fusion SE - DD
          -- MCALUS MOLDED PILLAR PODS, PM ME FOR MORE INFO--
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by mcalus View Post
            What brand is my best bet? What?s an average price? My co worker should be able to help install them. I have traction control but 2.73s so that means it?s a 2 series 4 channel right?

Yep. GM gears are usually considered the "best"
            -Joel

Comment

• Originally posted by farmington View Post
              I seem to remember reading that the 3.90 gear set was the strongest of all the 10 bolt sets.
              The diameter of the pinion gear is the primary determining factor (tooth count also plays a role). Generally, with some exceptions, the deeper the ratio smaller (and weaker) the pinion gear is. I don't have data on the 3.90 gearset but i have a picture that compares most of the other options and IMO it makes a fairly good argument for why GM didn't go any larger than 3.42. I'll attach it in my next reply.
              -Joel

Comment

• That is the reasoning behind (and tooth count) why the 4.10s are stronger than 4.11s (or the other way around - can't remember).
                Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

• DynoDave likes this.
                  -Joel

Comment

• AAM gear sets are what GM uses in production they are quieter than aftermarket. If you want to reuse your posi unit you will need to buy the ?thick? version of the ratio you want. The thick gears tend to be a little noisier too but a new TruTrac is about $400.
                    When in doubt, Whip it out !

Comment

• I CHALLENGE you to build a 305 that will break that 2.73:1 set.

I'm with you Don...the factory stuff is always quieter it seems. I have a factory 3.42:1 set on the shelf. With 28 spline factory ZT diff. And a LS1 brakes. And diff. cover / girdle thingy. Just need a 3rd gen housing to play with, and a set of 3rd gen 28 spline axles.

And maybe a few bottles of that crazy grape scented GM synthetic diff lube.

DynoDave
                      POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

• Got the garage cleaned up for the most part. Might still throw some odds and ends that we don?t need in there into the basement (wagon, lawnmower). Definitely feel like there is more space then I expected. Going to add a 1 or 2 more 8? lights in there tomorrow then hopefully I can get it jacked up tomorrow night.

Wondering how I?ll get the rear of the car up since it?s so close to the back of the garage. I?ll either have to move it forward a bit or hopefully I can come from the rear corner and get the back under the diff.

Of course even though the car was on a tender I pulled the car out to clean the garage out and went to pull it back in. Click... lights go out. Time for a new battery come spring.

Has anyone had LE port their LS heads? I know he?s great with the LT1. AI wants 1400 for their porting and he is 800 for the LE1 stage. Not sure how they compare though, I sent him an email. Still unsure if I?ll port the heads but I know I was bummed I didn?t do it to the 93 when the heads were off.

New stock head bolts or ARP?

What are you guys using to heat your garage? It was 36 in there and after 30 min of the kerosene heater it was a comfortable 58 then 64 by the time I called it quits but I stink terribly like kerosene and I?m sure it won?t help my brain cells either lol. Looked at a few propane options but it sounds like that gets stinky too. Might just get an electric heater from TSC for $50 and eat the electric bills although I shouldn?t have it on all day. Maybe 3-4 hours at a time at most.

2002 Z28 Camaro A4
                        1993 Z28 Camaro M6- SOLD
                        1999 Z28 Camaro M6- SOLD
                        2008 Ford Fusion SE - DD
                        sigpic

Comment

• I use one of these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo...60DG/203534107

I had it back up in Flushing, with was a very deep and wide 2 car garage (I could open the hatch on my FIL's Acadia he had, all the way with the garage door closed - and then there was still a freezer and plenty of room to walk in front of it), but was completely uninsulated. It kept the garage warm enough to work on in the winter with that thing running on medium to high, and letting it run for about an hour or so before heading out - but the lack of insulation definitely drew a lot of the heat out.

My recommendation: insulate those walls and especially your ceiling (at least cover the rafters so the heat doesn't just go up and out). Using that same heater now in my (smaller) 2 car garage, which is entirely insulated (but does have 12' ceilings), and I merely need to keep it on low before I have to turn it off because I am sweating.

Huge difference.

Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

• I tell myself every summer that I need to insulate it and here we are lol.

I was honestly quite surprised how quick it heated up and stayed warm I just need a different heat source. I?ll look into one of those. I think Costco has some different electric options too.

2002 Z28 Camaro A4
                            1993 Z28 Camaro M6- SOLD
                            1999 Z28 Camaro M6- SOLD
                            2008 Ford Fusion SE - DD
                            sigpic

Comment

• I used to work in an un-insulated pole barn with two salamanders like that running. I kept warm, but yeah, you stink of Kero when you go in the house.

My somewhat insulated and fully drywalled attached garage can be kept decently warm with electric heat.
                              mcalus likes this.
                              DynoDave
                              POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

• Either of these options sound like my best bang for my buck.

2002 Z28 Camaro A4
                                1993 Z28 Camaro M6- SOLD
                                1999 Z28 Camaro M6- SOLD
                                2008 Ford Fusion SE - DD
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X