X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by farmington View Post
    Was going to suggest the electronic ign pkg. glad you have one. They are pretty bulletproof. The ballast resistors don’t like water leaks.
    Just like a module for HEI, always carry a spare ballast in your glovebox.

Was going to dig into the battery from the bottom yesterday. Even started to center punch the holes I was going to drill in the bottom of the case. But I thought I should make sure it was completely dead. So I checked it with a multi-meter, and the darned thing is still making volts! 2.6-2.7v to be exact.

49775123442_ffe2d95784_b.jpg

Lacking a carbon pile load tester to drain off the remaining voltage, I added an 1157-style bulb on some test leads. Not enough voltage to illuminate it, but hoped by giving the current a load, that I could drain it. After sitting like that all night, I'm happy to say that as of this morning, I'm down to 00.8v, not even enough to create a spark when I jumper the two terminals together. So I think I'm going to call that good enough, and dig into it tonight.
    DynoDave
    POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

• Well, I would have dug into it more. But....SQUIRREL! I got distracted by another set of headers for sale. Was pretty excited about them though, so I spent most of my "old car" time tonight driving. After I got home, I did take the time to disconnect everything from the battery, flip it over, and drilled holes in the four corners. I'll let it sit tonight, with the fan blowing through those holes to try and dry the inside some more. Then tomorrow I will "connect the dots" to slice the bottom open.
      DynoDave
      POCI # 72200

Comment

• Headers for...?

And I sure hope you managed to do that in a way that was entirely void of person to person contact...
        Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

• Yep, just me in the Jeep for an hour out, and an hour back. The closest I got to the guy was to hand him the money. Nice guy. We stood around his shop and talked cars for a 1/2 hour or so.

3rd gen. SLP stainless steel shorty Tri-Y headers, but without the special Y-pipe. They would be sort of a project. Would like to use them, but between restoration, JetHot coating, and custom Y-pipe, they won't be cheap. But they are sorta special!

I already have a full system that is ready to bolt in, so I have options.
          DynoDave
          POCI # 72200

Comment

• I'd recommend having QC Coatings over in Shelby Township do the ceramic coating. I'd imagine it'll be cheaper than Jet Hot, it's local, and they do an outstanding job.

Comment

• Last weekend I bought a 2010 Z06 exhaust system that had 50 miles on it. Guy was cool, put the parts in pickup bed. I drove over, loaded my car, and put cash in an envelope under his door mat. Drove home.
              When in doubt, Whip it out !

Comment

Last weekend I bought a 2010 Z06 exhaust system that had 50 miles on it. Guy was cool, put the parts in pickup bed. I drove over, loaded my car, and put cash in an envelope under his door mat. Drove home.
                That is the perfect way to do it - zero contact! I did a similar thing with a growler a few weeks back (the last full week in March) - drove over (to white lake), they had put the growler on the front porch, and we talked briefly through their glass storm door. No actual contact, I got my beer and we still got to have some real human interaction (even if it was through glass).

Comment

• Z06...is that a titanium exhaust system Don?

Started to cut the case open. Painting mask, rubber gloves, safety glasses, hat. Glad there was no one to take a picture of me.

I had bought this HF tool when they were on some super sale...was less than $10 as I recall. Never had a need for it until now. Cuts pretty good. I'm not so hot at cutting a straight line, even when using the edge of the tool along the edge of the battery as a guide. Not quite sure how that happens.

49782120998_133d47bbfa_b.jpg

Then the bit snapped. Of course, in our current C-19 world...do I have a spare? I do not. Are any of the stores that would have one open? They are not. So I guess I'm done with battery work for the night.

49782983052_18b7cc22df_b.jpg

As a note to anyone who might do this same job later....the bottom of this case is not the same material as the sides. Almost seems like a poured material of some sort. When center punching it, or drill holes, it chips and flakes apart to a small degree. Makes a fair amount of dust when cutting it, so I kept a vacuum handy. Doesn't smell too good either.
                  DynoDave
                  POCI # 72200

Comment

• The C5 had Ti mufflers. These are the NPP dual mode mufflers.
                    When in doubt, Whip it out !

Comment

The C5 had Ti mufflers. These are the NPP dual mode mufflers.
                      It actually includes the portion of exhaust from just before the rear axle, over the axle to the muffler, along with the tips, as well. 17.6 lbs lighter.

Comment

• My brothers Vette has that.Was just curious.
                        DynoDave
                        POCI # 72200

Comment

• A less than wonderful garage day.

Broke another rotozip bit, but had purchased 4!

Got around the perimeter of the bottom of the case. Tried to leave an edge to put some screws into later for a new bottom plate, but I think that's going to have to come off, which isn't going to be easy now.

Two corners of the case cracked, one quite seriously. I hope it holds together through the rest of the process of gutting it. Thank God I have a Thermoguard to cover it.

And is it just the lead and acid fumes, or did none of my photos come out in-focus this time?

49786868107_0684ef1cab_b.jpg
                          49786545471_59408fc664_b.jpg
                          49786006278_1a7ecb5aa0_b.jpg
                          49786006203_07ded16f85_b.jpg
                          DynoDave
                          POCI # 72200

Comment

• Looks like one of the pictures of the Elephant's Foot over at the Chernobyl NPP right after the accident!

Comment

• I feel like this guy when I go out there, wearing lavender kitchen gloves that cover the better part of my forearms as well as hands, paint respirator, safety glasses, and grungy shop hat. Probably way overkill, but better safe than sorry.

49789659982_9a4ea972b3_o.jpg
                              DynoDave
                              POCI # 72200

Comment

• It's battery acid - you can never be too safe.

I remember touching the small hard vent line that snaps into the Cobalt's battery once, and my skin immediately started to feel like it was burning - and that was probably just minor condensation from vapor.

Comment

Working...
                                X