Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With the official Dream Cruise cancelled, this will be interesting. Maybe it will just be car people out there.
    When in doubt, Whip it out !

Comment

• Yeah, it'll be a weird one...but I mean, this whole year has.

Trying to figure out what the plan will be. It's very likely that there won't be as many people walking, so my brother and I (and maybe my wife) could still do that. But that really all depends on how everything is going by August. We could be in wave two by then.

Or it could be snowing. Because 2020.
      Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

• Originally posted by farmington View Post
        With the official Dream Cruise cancelled, this will be interesting. Maybe it will just be car people out there.
        Crap. When did that happen?

DynoDave
        POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

• Yesterday
          When in doubt, Whip it out !

Comment

• That sucks.

Maybe Ferndale will be the holdout, and have their own event!

I gotta get back to the office. This WFH thing is leaving me with far too much time to shop for car stuff I don't need. Embarrassing admission after I pick the parts up tomorrow.
            DynoDave
            POCI # 72200

Comment

• About 8:30pm, I had a hankering to make my presence known on Woodward. Sure enough, some cruisers, and way too many cops for the situation. WAY too many. Don't get me wrong, I'm a police supporter, and never met a tax increase for more law enforcement that I didn't vote for. But this is just a stupid use of a valuable resource IMO.

Anyway, gassed up in Lake Orion. As this was the first fill-up of the season, I wanted to run a tank of premium with alcohol through it. Filled up, completed the entry in the log book (just over 20 mpg from that last tank full), and left the log book on the passenger seat "just in case" as it has my registration and proof of insurance in it.

Ran on down 24 with a guy in a new Mustang (which could, let's be honest, absolutely eat me alive in a straight line). Got to the 75 ramp ahead of him by one car, which apparently annoyed him. So he passed the car in between us on the short straight between the Palace and 75. I let him hang around the first quarter of the ramp, then slowly accelerated through the second quarter and he kept pace, then I jumped on it the last half, and left him. WS6 baby! Of course, having a car that is substantially under powered means you CAN go WOT in any turn, and not have to worry about the back end coming around.

At Woodward...well, I didn't get off of Square Lake before catching the first police cruiser. Yet another ugly unmarked Ford Exploder. I took the first turn-around south by the Moose Preserve and he continued north up Woodward, which struck me as a little odd. I kept an eye on him in my rear-view, and sure enough, he took the second turnaround, and came up behind me and two Chargers in traffic. He wasn't fooling anyone though, as the Chargers had seen him too. We all moseyed along at 5 under, and he finally gave up and turned off.

It was like Christmas in July, err, Birmingham when I got there. Lights everywhere. And again usually two units per cruiser pulled over. Max drama. Me and another Mustang did our 5 under cruise all the way through. It was 9:45pm by now, and I was enjoying a little FM radio...94.7. Much to my surprise they mentioned that Dee Snider's House of Hair was on at 10:00pm. I had not heard that show in years since 103.1 in Lapeer dropped or moved it. What could be better for an '80s hard rock fan than cruising in a Trans Am on a Saturday night to the House of Hair!

I was getting a little thirsty (I always forget to bring a bottle of water from home), so on my second lap around I slid into the Shell, and got a nice second row spot with an open space behind me. Bought myself a little snack and a bottle of water, and sat in the car enjoying the music, eating my peanut butter M&Ms, and watching the cars cruise by. About 10:30pm the popo showed up, lights blazing, to speak with a few nice young gentlemen (again in a pair of Chargers...might have been the same ones I saw up at Square Lake now that I think about it). I just left the windows down and the tunes up at a modest level. Later Fife barked something over the loud speaker of the Exploder, but I honestly could not make it out. No one else in the lot made a move to leave, so I just ignored it.

Fireworks start going off overhead...that can't be legal this time of year...coming from the street just behind us. Does this interest the anti-cruising brigade? It does not. Do they leave to investigate? They do not. Oh well. Not my problem. I'm about to the end of my M&Ms, so I set the bag on the seat, and pick up my log book just to make sure all is in order, as I expect office Fife to be along any moment to chase me and the others around me out of the lot. Sure enough, there's my printed out page for proof of insurance, there's my roadside service card, and there's my registration....from 2019. 2019? That's odd. I was quite sure I had renewed the plate. So I nonchalantly strolled to the rear of the car and opened the hatch, as if to check something. With trees and other cars the police could not see me duck down to check the ORANGE 2019 decal on my plate, and a quick glance at the cars next to me confirmed that the 2020 decal is green. You could spot this expired tag a mile away! And here I've been out with it the last three weeks.

I wanted to stay out until midnight, and the end of the House of Hair program. Buuuuuttttttt...I thought leaving now might be a better plan. I got in and started the car up, and who decides it's time to leave the Charger boys alone, and come visit the rest of us? Yes, officer Fife. Pulls that big butt-ugly Exploder right up in front of the three of us parked there side by side. I flipped the lights on, and they spring open (thank you plastic gear pucks for not failing at this moment), and Fife just sits there. He's left me just enough room to get out, but I'm going to play it like I don't think there's enough room, and wave him by. Because I'm sure as hell knot showing him the ass-end of my T/A tonight.

He just sits there. I roll forward a foot or so and wait for him to take the hint, and he still just sits there. But, I have one card left...the open spot behind me. I put it in reverse, back through both spots, and head for the exit behind the Shell station and on to the side streets, away from Woodward. Barney does not follow. Whew.

I make it to Coolidge, to Long Lake, then onto 75. I'm in the home stretch on Joslyn, not too many miles to the house, when who pulls out of the neighborhood just past Canterbury Village? Oakland County Sheriff's deputy. Oh, I'm just screwed. Not speeding, have the cruise control set for the speed limit. There's no way he won't see this glowing orange plate decal. But he's a little slow pulling out, and getting up to speed. By the time he's rolling, I'm maybe an 1/8th mile ahead. I time the light at Clarkston just right so that I don't have to stop, roll through on the green, and he turns at Clarkston road. 2nd whew of the night!

Made it the last few miles without incident. I've already been on the SOS site and renewed the plate...have a printed receipt to put in the car until the decal arrives. I'm ready for next Saturday night!
              DynoDave
              POCI # 72200

Comment

• I heard it was definitely hopping out there from multiple sources on Facebook. I'm sure RO or Birmingham would have pulled over my brothers Mustang just to be a giant collective bag of dicks - so I probably saved him an illegal, invalid ticket by having his car up here

And oh man, I'm surprised you never renewed it along with your other vehicles! I once did something similar on the Cobalt - driving it around in April when I noticed a few of the tags on other cars I was around, with Jan-Apr tags were a different color than the tag on mine...then I realized, I renewed my tags, but never put them on the plate! If I recall, I also had the old registration, too. Thankfully, in the system, it would show as up to date. But still, I had been driving around since late February with the old tags and registration - when I still lived in Royal Oak, no less! When I got home that day I immediately swapped to the new tag and registration.

Comment

• Yeah, this car and my daughters...for some reason the state does NOT send renewals by mail. The other vehicles they do, but not these two. I did my daughters, but forgot to do this one.

Yeah, your brothers tags may have drawn some unwanted attention.

Have you driven it yet with the new suspension in place?
                  DynoDave
                  POCI # 72200

Comment

• Weird!

Oh, his tags are good, but it's not a quiet car. And it has blacked out lights (which are plenty legal, per Michigan laws, via the LED bulbs), so they'd just stop him to be *******s and to give him a fake ticket he can't fight at the moment.

No, car's not done yet - plenty more to go, though the front end is about 3/4 of the way there.

Comment

• It's been a good month for T/A parts.

First I got a great deal on the Magnaflow RPO N10 mandrel bent stainless dual head pipes, cats, and 3" merge.

And yesterday I picked up these. May not be exciting to most here, but I've been looking for a set of these for years. These are 5.0L (305) Vortec heads. Just like with the 350 Vortecs, these are the best factory head ever for the 305, outperforming any other factory head for this engine by a large margin. These came off of a boat motor with 190 hours. They are super clean...hell even the paint on the outside looks good! I have a few David Vizard ideas in mind for them, but nothing major at all.

I'll need a machine shop (any suggestions guys?). I want them hot tanked to get rid of the lake water corrosion in the coolant passages, and to be magnafluxed. I'll probably buy the Comp Cams tools to cut the seat and thin the guide casting for better spring choices (Comp beehives). Also a cutter to thin the seal area, and shorten the guide casting for more lift. Not sure if I'm keeping the pressed in 3/8 studs or not. I'm aware of the greater strength of the 7/16 stud, and of screw in Vs pressed in. But at the RPM and spring rates I'll be running, pressed 3/8 are probably just fine. And the rocker choices for 3/8 stud are 10 to 1 better than for 7/16. Also self aligning Vs guide plates. But I'll make those decisions before I send them to a shop.

49931698358_c452898264_b.jpg

49932208531_c66952093c_b.jpg

49931697878_eaac05d350_b.jpg

49932207226_a5029d1f64_b.jpg
                      DynoDave
                      POCI # 72200

Comment

• Wow, those are clean as hell! The stock heads are absolute trash, so this is going to be a nice upgrade. I've been looking at heads for the 305 as well...but all in good time (whenever they run a good sale on Trick Flows...).

And if you're thinking of taking them to a machine shop, they should be able to do any modifications to the valve seal area for you, probably for a minimal amount, while they have the heads - prior to them hot tanking em.

Comment

• Yes, so far everything he's told me about them is true. Right casting numbers, and I have no reason to suspect his story about 190 hours of use is not true. If they magnaflux out OK, I'll be happy.

I may have a machine shop do all the work...just depends on what they want for their time Vs the cost of the cutters and doing it myself.

I told my brother this is the 3rd set of heads I've bought to upgrade the engine. The only move up from mere in my book is the Trick Flows. But I don't see me finding a bargain like this on those heads. And I'm cheap, so...I think this is where I stop. May even sell the ones I'm not using...me selling parts...that would be a first! LOL
                          DynoDave
                          POCI # 72200

Comment

• Yeah, I think the Super 23s, which are made for small bores (so they work really well with a 305) are about $550 a piece assembled, which isn't too bad in all honesty for an upgraded aluminum head.

I'm still only planning to buy them when they're on sale.

Comment

• $1100.00 for a pair is not crazy at all for what you are getting. I'd love to lose the extra pounds off the nose of the car, but I just don't see it happening. The car needs too many other things.

When your brother pays you for all that brand F suspension work you did for him, you should have no problem swinging the purchase of a set of heads for Brownie.
                              DynoDave
                              POCI # 72200

Comment

• Exactly - why they're a great deal...I still could find ways not to spend that. But if they're on sale...or your idea works too! I was going to have him buy us a beverage fridge - something we very much need. And something that'll be handy if I decide to cold-condition some of my brewed beers!

Comment

Working...
                                X