Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL...yeah, I couldn't scrape the ice off the van windshield this morning...hands hurt too much.

I'm guessing re-anodizing will be too expensive. May leave it as is, or consider having it powder coated. But that too will probably be more money than I want to put into this $10 part. In a few years, the rest of the trailer will match it, and I'm not polishing that bad boy.
    DynoDave
    POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

I can't imagine it would be oppressively expensive, but more than likely a couple hundred bucks, due to the size.
      Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

Maybe finish cleaning it by hand then shooting a few coats of clear on it.
        When in doubt, Whip it out !

Comment

I think you are right Kyle, and a few hundred bucks is going to be too much for this this $10 part. Job 1 is UV protection, decent appearance is required, but it's not a show piece.

I may just spray bomb it in clear. Won't last too long, but there are quite a few spots where the anodizing is compromised. Without some kind of protection, it will look pretty bad in those spots pretty fast.
          DynoDave
          POCI # 72200

Comment

While it's tough to do much with an anodized coating, I tried polishing an area of it with Flitz. Section on the right and middle have been done, the left side has not. It helped bring it back to more of a silver color, and less of a milky white look.

I think this is about as far as I'm going to go. Stripping the anodizing, and having it reapplied is just more money than I want to put into the old part. I may clear coat it, but that's about it. My finger tips are not looking forward to finishing this job.
            DynoDave
            POCI # 72200

Comment

Sort of like potato chips...I just couldn't stop.

Went around once with the Flitz, and was very pleased with the progress. Took a nylon panel beating hammer and straightened a bend near the latch. And looking it over thought, this one spot didn't come out well...and that lead to going over the whole thing a second time. Made a great difference, and now I AM DONE. My arm, shoulder and fingers demand it.

The centers arrived in the mail too. One for the front, one for the back.

DynoDave
              POCI # 72200

Comment

Damn. Looks new.
                When in doubt, Whip it out !

Comment

Impressively done!
                  Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

Just completed my registration for the 2019 Trans Am Nationals!

Anyone else registered yet?
                    DynoDave
                    POCI # 72200

Comment

• Registration card for the T/A Nationals came in the mail this week. #27!
                      DynoDave
                      POCI # 72200

Comment

Working...
                      X