Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement build thread. 1999 firebird.

Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't know where my update went so I'll write it again.

2 air conditioning lines are made up. But.. I had to rip into the wiring harness to find the wiring for the air conditioning and plug them into the pcm.
    Also, the car wasn't running right, it idled great but driving it was a challenge. It hot a little better but, stl not right.
    After dome digging found the tps would send position % data but it had no reference voltage. I had to change the pin location to an alternate 5v port.. much better now!! Still down on power but way smoother.
    3rd thing. I somehow managed to break my new windshield.
    Car was outside, windows down. 95 degrees. I was working in the garage and a storm rolled in. I jumped in the car, started it to roll the windows up, and hit the wipers. Kapow! Something under the cowl popped, the drivers wiper stopped. The bracket for the wiper pivot broke and something hit the edge of the windshiel and cracked it.
    one step forward 2 steps back lol.

Comment

• It seems it was posted to Visitor Messages - from you to you

https://www.mifbody.com/forums/membe...an#post1490393
      zeeman likes this.
      Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

• Well thats just awesome

Comment

• Progress. After my buddy Bob and I fought with the air conditioning for 2 nights. I spent a couple hours downloading schematics and diagrams one morning. Then went in the garage with a gallon of ice tea and a fan.
          A couple things weren't adding up. No reference voltage wire and no relay control wire. I found the reference voltage wire taped up in the loom with the identity tag still on it. Made up a couple other wires to complete some circuits. Bingo! We have air cobditioning!
          Tomorrow Bob is going to finish charging the system. I owe him big time!
          Today I spent a couple hours, testing wires and tracing locations. Coils, injectors, o2's. Everything is where it is supposed to be. So I put in a call to Ken C. Of you tube fame (he is go ls1 go, on here) and just talked about what's possibly causing my running issues .
          Going to swap out the 28 lbs injectors for some 43 lbs ones. Hes going to bring his lap top out Sunday, and scope it out,, see whats what.
          I cant wait!

Comment

• Well the windshield thing sucks, but the rest is good news.
            zeeman likes this.
            DynoDave
            POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

• Yeah, such is life sometimes. Put a full freon charge in it today. Works great.

DynoDave likes this.

Comment

• Went to see Ken C. Today, did some tweeking to the tune. Oh yeah, put in some 42 lbs. Injectors on Friday, that helped it out a lot. Ken got things manageable lowered my base idle a skosh, got rid of the throttle cracker so it would decelerate. Adjusted some timing. Much more drivable than before.
                I think that one or more of the 28 lbs. Injectors may have been plugged,, or just not functioning correctly.. its way better with the new injectors.
                Its getting there.
                DynoDave likes this.

Comment

• Chased the blower resistor issue a bit yesterday, since I had the dash apart. No result. Still can't find it! Lol.
                  removed the cluster, and removed the bulb for the oil light that wouldn't shut off. No wiring or sensor for it, no reason for it to be on anyways. Fixed the interior light dimmer switch.
                  Swapped out the throttle body to one I ported and polished inside and out. Has a better linkage than the other one , I believe its from a truck.
                  I'm drive it for a while and see if Ken will go another round with it. Idle is just a skosh low, stumbles at lights, maybe put back some timing.Its great on the E way. Vvvvrrrroooooommmmmmm!

Comment

• Man it's just getting better and better. Took 3 days, Remove the interior, Installed the stereo system. Last 2 days I was looking for why it was whining. Turned out to be a bad patch cord to the amp. Sounds good, and its loud! One friken Cheap ass cord, cost me about 15 hours.
                    Rebuilt the seat bottoms, painted the tracks, since the seats were out. I also glued fabric to the seat bottoms and added a spring to the suspension,, it really firms up the seat bottom,, way more comfortable

Its really starting to run strong. Break in is over now. I hit it in anger yesterday and it is frightening past 4 k rpms how hard it pulls. I think I need to add some timing back into the bottom. Its not slow at the low end but needs more violence off the line. We took 6 degrees out of it down low, I think we need to add at least half of that back into it.

Comment

• Yeah, I hate having to redo shit. When I put the touchscreen in the Cobalt last year, I ended up amping all the speakers, so I had three pairs of RCA's running to the back, all with nice metal ends.

Well, those metal ends decided they liked to rattle, a lot - especially because the car has solid/poly mounts.

Ended up taking the interior trim back off, the head unit out (I had to install a transistor to bypass the parking brake anyway, so I could actually use Android Auto) and zip-tying all the RCAs together, and that seems to have fixed it. But having to take things back apart is always irritating.
                      zeeman likes this.

Comment

• Well, I get to redo the power side anyway cuz I gotta have a box of bass back there. Stereo sounds real good...when the rca makes contact,lol. Ill just remove the rear seat and head unit and fish a new one in soon as the other parts show up. Its a fun ass car to drive!

Comment

• On the 26th she's going to go to the dyno for turning. I'll try to report back

Comment

• 51043209956_b01ecd0640_b.jpg
                            DynoDave
                            POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

• Tuning went great! 330 hp 315 ftlbs torque . It shifts properly now, hard, but @ the correct time. Also bought a new steering wheel for it. June it might be going to the body shop for the quarter pannel repair and paint.

On a sadder note. I sold the purple Camaro. Getting ready to move. Too much stuff. Etc.

Comment

• Solid numbers! Hard shifts are always better for the trans and damn do they feel nice - I love the 1-2 in the Cobalt (especially paired with the poly trans mounts and poly/solid engine mount).

Comment

Working...
                                X