Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement build thread. 1999 firebird.

Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got fed up with trying to make a bunch of used exhaust parts fit together. Ordered a loud mouth in stainless yesterday. My new tips showed up today. Timing is everything, lol
    20161223_164900.jpg

Comment

• merry christmas fellers! I did some investigative poking around the last couple days. Figured out that lt1 swap is wrong about the pinout for the firebird, in that it does need the purple wire , c2 pin 54 fuel level sensor signal. or you dont have working fuel gauge. 99 through 2002 clusters are serial data, so everything goes through the pcm, and is fed to the cluster.
      So I had to open up the harness in front of the pcm and retract the wire I had taped up in the harness for the gauge sender. I took the opportunity to add some wire to the c100 series connections, they were way to tight, to hard to route. So now I have a functioning fuel gauge!
      Just need to figure out whats up wiith the way it runs... getting closer...
      Last edited by zeeman; December 26th, 2016, 09:13 PM.

Comment

• Good catch!
        DynoDave
        POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

• So the big Brown parts trick showed up today
          20161230_124333.jpg

It's lsxmass! Woo hooo

Comment

• Sweet!
            DynoDave
            POCI # 72200

Comment

• Ok so the exhaust is installed. Wasnt as easy as the Chineesium one on the Camaro, but its done now. Sounds good! I like it. This is a loud mouth II, its nice, not as raw as the 'maro until you put your foot in it firmly.

heres a link to it running, happy new year!

actually its check gauges and service vehicle. So I dont know what those mean..
              Last edited by zeeman; January 1st, 2017, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• Alright! I had a little time today to work on the bird. Ken was supposed to come over and throw his lap top on it and see what was wrong but I cancelled. no need for him to drive all the way out here, because I fixed it! Lol!
                After yesterday, installing the exhaust system, and running it in speed density mode. It got me to thinking. soon as it tries to go into closed loop is when it starts to run bad. My brain kept screaming, O2'S! O2'S! So I went back through every thing and found my mistake. The tan wires, from the o2's all come together in the harness and are all connected together in a bundle. Then they all come back out and go to their respective pin on the pcm connector. With one extra wire coming out of the bunch and going to pin 63 which is effectively a ground. I had wired this without the extra ground wire going to pin 63. This is where it gets weird. I had it wired correctly initially but 2nd guessed myself on it and eliminated that wire. Once I reconnected the wires together and added the low reference wire back into the bunch...runs great. still rich but runs great! ran it up to operating temp and crack the throttle a bunch of times ...no problem!!! Feels good to get that out of the way!
                Last edited by zeeman; January 1st, 2017, 03:36 PM.

Comment

• Good detective work!
                  DynoDave
                  POCI # 72200

Comment

• Thanks ,felt pretty good to be able to fix it myself. I still got it...lol

Comment

• It moves under its own power. Trans feels funny in drive. Need to adjust shifter. And still have the random misfire code.

Comment

• Ok, I'm not perfect. I'm human. I make mistskes. I miswired 2 injectors. #3 and #5. That's why I had check engine light. Getting better!
                        Last edited by zeeman; January 16th, 2017, 08:49 PM.

Comment

• Well I replaced the spark plugs today with some platinum plugs. Made a world of difference.
                          Looks like it's a good thing I picked up that spare trans. I will be swapping this one out. Craigs list can suck it! God help that little shit bag if I ever see him again! I had a bad feeling that trans was going to be toast. Fml. Oh well.
                          Last edited by zeeman; January 16th, 2017, 08:50 PM.

Comment

• Got the crap transmission out today, fukin fried inside. bunch of junk in my brand new converter Ill have to get it flushed. So I went to put a new filter and gasket in the trans I picked up as a" spare"....I will never again buy a used transmission from any one...ever. loose bolts on the pan and on the Bell housing. 3/8ths of an inch of muck on the bottom of the pan, black shit on everything. metal in the filter.I wont be wasting time installing this piece of shit. Another," it worked when I drove it" No god damn way. Fuking peope make me sick. That's $500.00 in junk transmissions , not including my new converter.
                            Last edited by zeeman; January 22nd, 2017, 09:13 PM.

Comment

• Transmission is @ Detroit gearbox getting rebuilt. itll be done in a couple weeks.

Comment

• I'll order the "Happy New Transmission Day" banner this afternoon.
                                DynoDave
                                POCI # 72200

Comment

Working...
                                X