• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got this from

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f10/spark-...e-chart-13070/

Stock – MFG Recommendations: approx under 9:1 compression
    Heat Range: 4
    Gap: Consult ignition mfg.
    Plug: NGK FR4 (stock number 5155); NGK BKR5EIX (stock number 6341); Autolite 3926; Champion RC12YC (stock number 71); Denso IK16 (stock number 5303)

MFG Recommendations: approx 10.5:1 compression
    Heat Range: 5
    Plug: NGK FR5 (stock number 7373); Autolite AR3924 (Racing Plug); Autolite 3924; Champion RC9YC (stock number 2075); Denso K20PR-U (stock number 3145); Denso IK20 (stock number 5304)

MFG Recommendations: approx 11:1 compression
    Heat Range: 8
    Plug: NGK R5672A-8 (stock number 7173); Autolite AR3911; Champion C63YC (stock number 796); Denso IQ24 (stock number 5314)

MFG Recommendations: approx 12:1 compression
    Heat Range: 9
    Plug: NGK R5672A-9 (stock number 7405); Autolite AR3910; Champion C61YC (stock number 785); Denso IQ27 (stock number 5315)

MFG Recommendations: approx 13:1 compression
    Heat Range: 9 - 10
    Plug: NGK R5671A-9 (stock number 5238); Autolite AR3933; Champion C59CX (stock number 296); Denso IK27 (stock number 5312)

MFG Recommendations: approx 14:1 compression
    Heat Range: 10
    Plug: NGK R5671A-10 (stock number 5820); Autolite AR3932; Champion C57CX (stock number 295); Denso IK-31 (stock number 5321)

**NOTE: Use chart for static compression and adjust heat range for nitrous use accordingly.
    sigpic

1996 Base Model
    +2 cylinder mod

Comment

• I've got some TR55's in it now, along with a new set on the shelf. I will just use the old ones for the initial start up, and break in. See how they run, maybe I'll try a TR6, it's only half a heat range colder.
      sigpic

1996 Base Model
      +2 cylinder mod

Comment

• Originally posted by Boost Addict View Post
        Look I'm not hear to debate plugs with you, I know well enough how and when to read plugs. He asked for opinions on plugs and that's what he got. If you want to run a hot plug in an almost 12:1 engine on pump than that's up to you. NGK will tell you the same thing I am.
        I wasn't aware he was going to be running that high of compression I had thought he was just swapping the cam for now. I'm not a plug expert or anything and the answer you gave was exactly what I was looking for. If you talked to NGK and that is what they recommended that would suffice better than "they looked good when I pulled them" I'm not trying to argue as much as I'd like everyone to understand the reason for the plug choice. That way next time around they can make the decision on their own with what they have learned.
        Doing less with more

Comment

• Originally posted by DETROITMUSCLE View Post
          I wasn't aware he was going to be running that high of compression I had thought he was just swapping the cam for now. I'm not a plug expert or anything and the answer you gave was exactly what I was looking for. If you talked to NGK and that is what they recommended that would suffice better than "they looked good when I pulled them" I'm not trying to argue as much as I'd like everyone to understand the reason for the plug choice. That way next time around they can make the decision on their own with what they have learned.
          Sorry Jeff I should have stated that in the first place. My mistake
          2015 Silverado

Originally posted by JoeliusZ28
          If you need 6 and half grand to break your tires loose you shouldnt be attempting a holeshot.

Comment

• Lots of time sanding and working the polishing wheel paid off.small.jpg
            sigpic

1996 Base Model
            +2 cylinder mod

Comment

• i dont want to lead away from your topic, sry - but i was thinking of getting a new cam in my engine (stock at the moment).... low on cash, so only able to do like one thing at a time- is cam a good idea, or are there other upgrades i should do first?

Comment

• Originally posted by 455 big block View Post
                i dont want to lead away from your topic, sry - but i was thinking of getting a new cam in my engine (stock at the moment).... low on cash, so only able to do like one thing at a time- is cam a good idea, or are there other upgrades i should do first?
                I guess that really depends on what is done to it and what you plan to do with it. A cam is not something to do when you're low on cash though. To do it properly will cost some money. Also, you never know what will go wrong, so you need some wiggle room.
                sigpic

1996 Base Model
                +2 cylinder mod

Comment

• Converter is a far better mod. If your doing a cam your also doing pushrods, springs, locks, and retainers. You will get a significantly better seat of the pants feel from a converter as well.
                  1999 Camaro - 6 liters of fury.....

Comment

• i see- thank you

Comment

• Originally posted by 455 big block View Post
                      i see- thank you
                      I agree that you'll see the best gains from a converter and gears. But all three together is lots of fun too.

On a side note, was going through my dad's old LT1 parts box, found a BBK underdrive kit?

Worth installing for free?
                      sigpic

1996 Base Model
                      +2 cylinder mod

Comment

• Any advanges on 10.5 over stock wires on a lt1 that been modded a little. thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by slp ss View Post
                          Any advanges on 10.5 over stock wires on a lt1 that been modded a little. thanks
                          A thinner wallet?

Being modded a little probably does not need anything but stock.
                          sigpic

1996 Base Model
                          +2 cylinder mod

Comment

• I got a lot done today, crank pulley, crank hub, opti, timing cover, lifters and cam all removed.
                            Only ran into one issue. One of the allen head bolts holding the cam plate in got stripped out a little, can I buy a set anywhere?

Also, I was wondering if there should be any free play, or room in this part of the oil pump drive?DSCN0132.JPG
                            sigpic

1996 Base Model
                            +2 cylinder mod

Comment

• Got the part number for the bolts, ordered two.

Anyone want to chime in on the oil pump drive?
                              sigpic

1996 Base Model
                              +2 cylinder mod

Comment

• Mine had free play too. Good move on getting the billet piece - it's way overboard for builds like ours, but the insurance it gives is priceless. Is that the stock gear or the hardened one from Jegs?
                                - Brian Meissen
                                Owner, MiFBody.com
                                Administrator, LTxTech.com

1994 Camaro LT1 Transplant - 357ci LT1, cammed, stalled, and driven.
                                2022 Camaro LT1 - "Cherry Bomb 2"
                                Michigan FBody Meet & Greet Car Show 2022
                                June 4th, 2022 - 9am to 3pm!!!
                                The HUB Stadium, Auburn Hills, MI

Comment

Working...
                                X