X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by meissen View Post
    Mine had free play too. Good move on getting the billet piece - it's way overboard for builds like ours, but the insurance it gives is priceless. Is that the stock gear or the hardened one from Jegs?
    It's a stock one I believe, it's a Delco.
    I rather spend the $125 for the billet one then have the "what if".
    sigpic

1996 Base Model
    +2 cylinder mod

Comment

• looking good. you should have alittle play nothing to worry about. the billet drives are the way to go. Ryans broke lightly removing it.

Comment

• Mine looked fine, but no point in letting an engine fail over the money.

Also, what should I put on the head bolts? The old ones had what looked like a sort of pipe sealant, while my new ARPs came with their torque product.
        sigpic

1996 Base Model
        +2 cylinder mod

Comment

• Originally posted by jderry View Post
          Mine looked fine, but no point in letting an engine fail over the money.

Also, what should I put on the head bolts? The old ones had what looked like a sort of pipe sealant, while my new ARPs came with their torque product.
          always use thread sealer. the head bolts thread into open coolant passages. just alittle on the begine of the head bolt will do just fine. i use arp brand.

Comment

• Alright, I'll get some of that. As far as setting the oil pick up height, I measured pan depth and got 7.75 inches. I measured the height of the pick up while it was still mounted and got 7.5. Do these numbers sound good? How should I do the new one?

Also, I think I will be getting this one brazed, should I bother?
            sigpic

1996 Base Model
            +2 cylinder mod

Comment

Alright, I'll get some of that. As far as setting the oil pick up height, I measured pan depth and got 7.75 inches. I measured the height of the pick up while it was still mounted and got 7.5. Do these numbers sound good? How should I do the new one?

Also, I think I will be getting this one brazed, should I bother?
              that sound good for the pickup, i always tig weld the pickup to the pump. i have a tig welder so i use it. brazing will be fine, just go all the way around it to ensure that it will hold and a perfect seal between the pickup and the pump. sound like you have a good grasp on things here your doing well.

Comment

• I've got a pretty nice MIG welder, I welded the last one, but I figured brazing might work better then a few welds.

Also I ordered what I thought to be a replacement timing chain for the LT1, except it only works with Comps gears.

Should I just get a new GM one, or the LT4 timing set?

Once I get my $50 whatever dollars back from Jegs, they sell the whole LT4 kit for ~ 250.
                sigpic

1996 Base Model
                +2 cylinder mod

Comment

I've got a pretty nice MIG welder, I welded the last one, but I figured brazing might work better then a few welds.

Also I ordered what I thought to be a replacement timing chain for the LT1, except it only works with Comps gears.

Should I just get a new GM one, or the LT4 timing set?

Once I get my $50 whatever dollars back from Jegs, they sell the whole LT4 kit for ~ 250.
                  the lt4 will work fine.

Comment

• Alright sounds good.
                    sigpic

1996 Base Model
                    +2 cylinder mod

Comment

• Got my oil system all squared away.

DSCN0144.JPGDSCN0145.JPG

I was wondering if anyone knows how to replace the water pump drive gear?
                      sigpic

1996 Base Model
                      +2 cylinder mod

Comment

Got my oil system all squared away.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39474[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]39475[/ATTACH]

I was wondering if anyone knows how to replace the water pump drive gear?
                        nice work.

Comment

• Now THAT is how you take care of any pick-up tube issues - nice work!
                          2000 Trans Am l 1967 Firebird

sigpic

Comment

• So does anyone know the best way to use the LT4 ED water pump gear?
                            Should I press the old one off and reuse the bearing, or get a new shaft and put the new gear onto it?
                            sigpic

1996 Base Model
                            +2 cylinder mod

Comment

So does anyone know the best way to use the LT4 ED water pump gear?
                              Should I press the old one off and reuse the bearing, or get a new shaft and put the new gear onto it?
                              im sorry john i didnt see your question. get new shaft and new gear. sorry man

Comment

• Proper attention to detail here John, looking forward to seeing this car run!
                                -Joel
                                1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
                                1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

Working...
                                X