Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotta make sure it has #bignastycam - or at least something with some chop. All that together should make for one hell of an improvement over the 305.

So what is leaking - the trans, or the engine? I think the output has a very small leak on my ST10, so I will probably ignore that.
    Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

• If i leave the crate 350 longblock stock it has a 3 year 100k mile warranty from GM so im probably going to leave it alone. From all the research I've done, the basic crate 350 makes pretty decent power as it is as long as it can breath, and the setup i described will make an easy 260hp / 330tq. And because of the conservative compression its not going to complain when i put a trailer behind it.

Maybe I'll do heads and cam later but I think a dependable 260hp will be plenty enjoyable. The 305 might make its rated 160hp if i wine, dine, and serenade it when its in a good mood.

Both seals are leaking. Both were replaced when I had it apart last time and now leak worse than they did before
      -Joel
      1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
      1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

• The 305 will do ~250 rwhp with a few extra things - granted, in a vehicle with a little less drivetrain loss.

But would be similar to the 350, minus the warranty, and any extra potential for far more power.

Comment

• Yes. I can "fix" the 305 with trick flow aluminum heads, and then all the other same bolt ons id use on the the 350. I've considered it. But its well over half the cost of the 350 to do and at that point it really isn't stock anymore anyway. Then you have the risk of worn rings or cracked pistons... meh.. I'm done screwing around.
          -Joel

Comment

• I say Farmtruck it.

13th!!! Annual Michigan FBody Meet & Greet Car Show 2017
            June 10th, 2017 - 9am to 3pm!!!
            Bakers of Milford, Milford, MI

Classics only cost alot if you add up what you spend!

sigpic

"The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose."
            - Dale Earnhardt -

Comment

• Originally posted by TSTONE View Post
              I say Farmtruck it.
              Nah. However, yes because it is in my plans to build an LS powered daily driver C10 at some point.
              -Joel

Comment

• Or just go all-in: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/w...make/chevrolet

I bet if you used the heads off my engine, which should drop the CR, all your problems would be gone.

Also, boost.

Comment

• Link didn't work. And I do find it ironic that your lower compression 305 makes more power than my high compression 305. I wonder how much i could reduce compression with a double gasket on the heads.
                  -Joel

Comment

• Interesting, it worked when I clicked it. No matter:

And yes, I do find that interesting - it's gotta be the heads.

Comment

• running too lean at part throttle is also a strong possibility. Which would probably be hard to tell from the plugs since i also know its rich at WOT and idle.
                      -Joel

Comment

• Just to be a post whore... added oem tow hooks this weekend. Scored them out of a junkyard for a measily $16, however took me two hours to liberate them from a rusted out K5. (I wasliterally using a driveshaft as a sledgehammer). New re-mans aren't available, so this was the best option. Sandblasted and painted and then installed with grade-8 hardware.
                        -Joel

Comment

• Those look awesome. Such a small item that makes such a big impact, surprisingly.

Comment

• Very nice - I'm surprised there wasn't an A/M option

13th!!! Annual Michigan FBody Meet & Greet Car Show 2017
                            June 10th, 2017 - 9am to 3pm!!!
                            Bakers of Milford, Milford, MI

Classics only cost alot if you add up what you spend!

sigpic

"The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose."
                            - Dale Earnhardt -

Comment

• Originally posted by TSTONE View Post
                              Very nice - I'm surprised there wasn't an A/M option
                              Its about a 50/50 mix with the aftermarket on these trucks. Theres enough stuff available you can pretty much build an entire truck out of a magazine yet theres a good amount of parts that are not reproduced or reproduced well. The front bumper guards are another example I had to find used. The 83-84 only grille my truck has also isn't reproduced and for that reason you don't see many of them anymore... one fender bender and youre basically looking at udpating to 85-87 unless youre lucky enough to find used parts.
                              Last edited by JoeliusZ28; March 28th, 2018, 01:01 PM.
                              -Joel

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeliusZ28 View Post
                                Just to be a post whore... added oem tow hooks this weekend. Scored them out of a junkyard for a measily $16, however took me two hours to liberate them from a rusted out K5. (I wasliterally using a driveshaft as a sledgehammer). New re-mans aren't available, so this was the best option. Sandblasted and painted and then installed with grade-8 hardware.
                                I have a set of those laying around. Had to take them off my old K5 when putting the snowplow on.
                                Western Michigan Camaro Club ~ President
                                1987 Camaro IROC-Z Pearl White & Black w/ Red Pearl, 355 TPI, A4, 3:42, AirRide,"GOMARO"
                                2017 Silverado Double Cab Z71 Pepperdust Metallic, 5.3, A6, 3:42, "SASYZ71"
                                2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT White, 3800
                                WMCC Website www.wmcamaro.org

"A government big enough to give you everything you want,
                                is strong enough to take everything you have." — Thomas Jefferson

"Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who
                                are willing to work and give to those who would not."
                                Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                                X