Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dynoed the Firebird and put on a new 750 carb!

Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kingofhill21 View Post
    Well yes i am going to be getting it repainted hopefully teh same color. Why you ask? Well some of the body needs alignment and there are some runs in the paint. You may never see it but i do! I just want it close as it can to perfection! I was always taught to do it the right way.
    In My Opnion....

I will give you the best advise I can.
    Do not repaint the car!!!! I have seen people do this too many times!!! If you repaint the car you will stop enjoying the car. You will not drive it as often because it could get wet, or you could get a stone chip, door ding etc. The people who have the most fun with there cars drive them all the time! It sounds like your car is more of a drag/fun car than a show car.

These cars were never perfect, to make them perfect and do it right you need to disassble the car COMPLETELY, have it media blasted, then need to start making repairs,perfecting gaps, fitments, and making the body panels flat. Any other paint job will have tap lines, masked off trim, glass, jams, etc. Its impossible to make it perfect with the car assembled.

I wish I didn't media blast my car. Unfortunatly when I got it back was full of rust holes covered by body filler. My car was a bigger project than I need for my first time around. I ended up replacing the hood, fenders, door skins, full quarters, wheel houses, deck lid, tulip panel, and several patches. Because of money and a deadline I said it is good enough. There are a few minor flaws in the body that I know about. I could spent a week or two sanding finding finding every minor imperfection, But you have to draw the line somewhere. I want to be able to drive the car an enjoy it.

I know I sound like a hypocrit, But If I could do it over again, I should have just put some blue paint over the nasty green paint, droped in a LS1 with blower and called it done.
    Last edited by bri2203; April 2nd, 2009, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bri2203 View Post
      In My Opnion....

I will give you the best advise I can.
      Do not repaint the car!!!! I have seen people do this too many times!!! If you repaint the car you will stop enjoying the car. You will not drive it as often because it could get wet, or you could get a stone chip, door ding etc. The people who have the most fun with there cars drive them all the time! It sounds like your car is more of a drag/fun car than a show car.

These cars were never perfect, to make them perfect and do it right you need to disassble the car COMPLETELY, have it media blasted, then need to start making repairs,perfecting gaps, fitments, and making the body panels flat. Any other paint job will have tap lines, masked off trim, glass, jams, etc. Its impossible to make it perfect with the car assembled.

I wish I didn't media blast my car. Unfortunatly when I got it back was full of rust holes covered by body filler. My car was a bigger project than I need for my first time around. I ended up replacing the hood, fenders, door skins, full quarters, wheel houses, deck lid, tulip panel, and several patches. Because of money and a deadline I said it is good enough. There are a few minor flaws in the body that I know about. I could spent a week or two sanding finding finding every minor imperfection, But you have to draw the line somewhere. I want to be able to drive the car an enjoy it.

I know I sound like a hypocrit, But If I could do it over again, I should have just put some blue paint over the nasty green paint, droped in a LS1 with blower and called it done.

Hum interesting concept and words you have. Makes me think too! I would like to build the motor up and get some better hp and tq numbers maybe your right. I will deff keep this in mind!

Comment

For your ram air hood, would it be possible to remove / cut out the openings in the hood and let that cooler / fresh air feed in across the top of the motor? Maybe throw on a K&N cover filter, and let in more air on top the carb along with the sides? Seems simple enough?? Maybe even incorporate some sort of deflector on the hood or back of the air cleaner that deflects the air passing thru on the underside of the hood down onto the carb??

Hope this makes sense?

I have the SS chrome panels on my camaro and I have been tossing around the idea of removing the covers from the underside, and letting the air pass out of the engine bay thru them, possibly cooling the engine compartment and maybe increasing air flow across my air cleaner.......

IMO - Don't do the cowl hood. I love that hood on your Firebird.
        CHEV 383
        1968 Camaro SS
        383 Stroked Small Block | Barry Grant 750cfm | Edelbrock RPM Heads and Air Gap Intake | MSD Ignition, 6AL box and Blaster 2 coil | Hooker Headers (Thanks CS3Auto) | Stock Muffler

4-Speed manual (Saginaw) - 3:31 gears

Comment

Originally posted by bri2203 View Post
          In My Opnion....

I would have to agree with this. I have contemplated painting my car, but I know that I would be so afraid of driving it, after dumping $4-8k in a paint job... Enjoy the car. Some day when you are old and want it to look pristine, then paint it. Just my thoughts.
          CHEV 383
          1968 Camaro SS
          383 Stroked Small Block | Barry Grant 750cfm | Edelbrock RPM Heads and Air Gap Intake | MSD Ignition, 6AL box and Blaster 2 coil | Hooker Headers (Thanks CS3Auto) | Stock Muffler

4-Speed manual (Saginaw) - 3:31 gears

Comment

Originally posted by CHEV 383 View Post
            For your ram air hood, would it be possible to remove / cut out the openings in the hood and let that cooler / fresh air feed in across the top of the motor? Maybe throw on a K&N cover filter, and let in more air on top the carb along with the sides? Seems simple enough?? Maybe even incorporate some sort of deflector on the hood or back of the air cleaner that deflects the air passing thru on the underside of the hood down onto the carb??

Hope this makes sense?

I have the SS chrome panels on my camaro and I have been tossing around the idea of removing the covers from the underside, and letting the air pass out of the engine bay thru them, possibly cooling the engine compartment and maybe increasing air flow across my air cleaner.......

IMO - Don't do the cowl hood. I love that hood on your Firebird.

ive been told the k&n air top messes the airflow up and loose power but yes cut the holes open and get fresh cool air the the top of the carb
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CHEV 383 View Post
              Honestly, it's probably not worth the time or expense.

You need to make it a sealed system to see any significant gains...and I'm only talking like 10 hp here...which means you'll need a real RA hood (easy enough to find), RA air cleaner assembly (impossible to find), and rubber/foam grommets to create a seal between the two.

The air cleaner assembly will likely cost you more than the hood...and the air cleaner will likely only fit the original Rochester carb...easily modified though...assuming you're o.k. with chopping up a $1200 original air cleaner.

There are other options that won't look original that cost much, much less. One would be what looks like the RA setup on a 68 Hurst Olds with the twin snorkels that collect air from under the front bumper...you can probably do that one for $500.

Frankly, GM's "Ram Air" hood promotion over the last 40 years is little more than that...a marketing promotion. What they didn't tell you is that very often when you checked the Ram Air option you may also have gotten a different cam, carb, intake or even heads, and that's where the extra horsepower comes from.

The hood has little to nothing to do with it.
              Originally posted by Redd8407
              I WANT NOISE! SPEED! AN ENGINE THAT SHAKES MY INTERNAL ORGANS LIKE THEY GOT PARKINSON'S! I DONT WANT AN ENGINE THAT IS PARTIALLY POWERED BY MY LAPTOP BATTERY!
              Originally posted by Z28ISGR8
              WHY THE F*CK IS THERE A GOAT ON A FERRARI?
              Originally posted by Darren
              I think it is because I take it in and out all the time, the rubber has just stretched out, especially at the bottom where it is really thin. It annoys me more then anything.

Comment

i think a 2 or 4 inch would look nice on it, the one on my dads car is 6 i think and it still looks good being soo big, it looks better then he snorkel he had in the 90's
                Attached Files
                sigpic

1996 Base Model
                +2 cylinder mod

Comment

I am also a fan of the cowl hood but the hood you have on there does look great too! But also IMO instead of spending the money on the hood there may be a better place under the hood to spend it and have a lot more fun with

Comment

Nice

One day I will get a 383 small block ? in the 425 hp range - 25% drivetrain loss..(??? around 318hp at the wheels ) But can not get my self to cough up the $$ at this time.
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC
                    Stainless works headers/cats Roto fab CAI /
                    Corsa install and tune Livernois
                    TSW Nuburgring 9 &10" x 20 on Invos (315 & 275 )
                    JL Audio XD400/4 amp
                    Pfadt trailing arms & tie rods sway bars.
                    pedders street 1 package

Comment

I would be more then happy with 300-350 rwhp and 400-500 rwtq

Comment

Originally posted by skar View Post
                        Nice

One day I will get a 383 small block ? in the 425 hp range - 25% drivetrain loss..(??? around 318hp at the wheels ) But can not get my self to cough up the $$ at this time.
                        You should hang out with people who have the flu or a cold..... within a few days you should be pretty close to affording a crate motor.

Comment

My nephew Justyn....we picked up a Pontiac 400 motor for his car that is pushing around 450hp.

(yeah we spun a bearing in his 455)

Should be nice to drive that!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kingofhill21 View Post
                            I would be more then happy with 300-350 rwhp and 400-500 rwtq
                            Small blocks you can get the HP but it is hard to beat the tourk OF A BIG BLOCK.

LS engine would also be sweet.
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC
                            JL Audio XD400/4 amp
                            pedders street 1 package

Comment

Originally posted by skar View Post
                              Small blocks you can get the HP but it is hard to beat the tourk OF A BIG BLOCK.

LS engine would also be sweet.
                              Oh i think i can make the 300-350 rwhp on the 455 with the right heads and cam set! Hopeing to get 400-500rwtq while doing that lol

Comment

You bet can.
                                Should be no problem. For you one HP per cubic inch that shoud be easy.
                                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC
                                JL Audio XD400/4 amp
                                pedders street 1 package

Comment

Working...
                                X