No announcement yet.

1981 Camaro Z28

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did see the speedo move as I backed it up and down the driveway - because I could not in good conscience drive the car. It is definitely running rich as Bill Gates. Inside of the tailpipes (after, like, 70 miles) are black, and it was spitting liquid out while at idle - even after it was running for 5-10 minutes. It smokes at idle and when I give it throttle, meaning it's not the idle mixture screws (which I couldn't find anyway) - perhaps the float stuck, or something like that. It's causing the car to idle high at idle, probably because it's getting so much fuel.

I'm thinking this is pointing to a carb rebuild for me. Doubt it's ever even been off the car.
    Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

• Oil pressure sender.

Choke was not getting the full voltage, and thus, was only opening about 3/16", leaving the engine on the high idle cam, and running extremely rich.

After months of dicking around with it, and troubleshooting on Cliff's High Performance, one of the members there finally mentioned that the oil pressure sender controls voltage to the choke - and asked if my oil light was on.

All the dots connected right away. This started happening right after the car disconnected the speedo cable and threw the oil light...sure enough, the connector was looser than a cheap hooker. It also seems to have managed to slightly deform itself to where it can't be installed...not a clue in the world as to how that happened.

Today, I made a quick jumper cable to bridge the connection between the oil sender and the connector, and what do you know, only a few months later, and the choke blade opens all the way, it comes down in idle (eventually - still does its funkiness because it is cold, but that's good - for now - because that's what I'm used to) and the revs don't hang.

Also, it doesn't try to murder my eyes and nose with fumes from running rich.

At least that's one thing down - can't find a new connector anywhere, but my jumper is solid and fits nice and snug, so it'll do for now.
      Atrus likes this.

Comment

• I figured today was probably my best chance at getting a drive in for the remainder of the year - so of course the speedo cable stopped working sometime after pulling out of my driveway and moving forward on my street (where I recall it working). Pissed me right off, and I took the car straight home, without even having any fun. It did seem to run properly, so that's good, but I couldn't enjoy it.

Honestly, I don't even know how this is possible anymore. Getting close to time to convert to something that doesn't seem to have a personal vendetta against me.

Comment

• Might time to move to a GPS speedometer.
          DynoDave
          POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

• Something like that - or at least electronic with a hall sensor attached directly to the trans gear. Advantage of electronic is I don't have to necessarily maintain the rear tire diameter when I move to a larger wheel/tire, as I can easily re-calibrate it (well, easy in theory).

I really like how the Dakota Digital HDX series looks. The Classic Dash with Auto Meters is great, but it kind of looks out of place - especially since it uses a different bezel. The Dakota one just replaces the cluster itself, still using the factory bezel, and the gauges really do not look out of place in the car - having a look that could be factory of the time - but then having LCD screens on the tach and speedo.

As if I didn't just spend enough money, what's a bit more at this point. At least I have all winter - I can say this is a birthday present.

Another benefit I've realized is that by getting a new cluster, I won't have a speedometer that stops at 85 (my IROC had the 145mph speedo). It's a rarity to say it - but I really wish GM had been as clever as ford was with the SVO Mustang:

Last edited by MP81; December 6th, 2017, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• Well, I did a little spending on Black Friday...

The full shipment from the first company all arrived (on 3 separate days) this week:

Hotchkis Sport Coil & Leaf Springs, 1 3/8" hollow front swaybar and 7/8" hollow rear swaybar - everything in the TVS Stage 1 Kit except for fancy tie-rod sleeves.

Based on the pictures I was shown on NastyZ28 of similar cars with stock tires and Hotchkis springs, they sit practically exactly how mine does - despite being a 2" drop up front and 1.5" drop out back, meaning my springs are way past sagging - but also meaning I get to keep the current stance, which I love.

Now, just to wait for the next set of boxes

Comment

• Nice!
                DynoDave
                POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

• Box #1 of 2 remaining delivered...just one more...

Comment

• Finally got the last box today, so of course I couldn't leave the parts in the boxes. They are currently on my basement floor, with everything else.

Global West G-Plus Upper and Lower Tubular Control Arms with Del-a-lum bushings.

I bought the control arms because I did not want to replace the riveted-in upper ball joints.

So I figure why change the bushings in upper and lower arms, and the lower ball joints (while I had everything out), when I could move up to something much better than stock...and while I have the control arms out, I should replace the sagging springs...and then I need to match the rear springs as well. The swaybars were just because of the free-shipping threshold that would have ruined the sale pricing.

Going to be busy this winter (hoping to not be an idiot this time, so I can actually drive the car for the first half of the warm weather).

Comment

Working...
                    X