X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Project] 1991 Camaro RS - Turbo 3.1l Project

Well as the title states, the 91' is getting a little faster for next summer. Maybe i will be able to pass minivans in a 55 zone... lol. I'll try to keep this thread updated as much as I can since there isn't a whole lot of information on these builds. Maybe it can help someone down the road.

Please keep negative comments to yourself, thanks!

List of work to do over the winter:
    - Pull engine/transmission/AC
    - Paint engine bay
    - Clean/paint engine
    - Install new 36# Injectors
    - Install new transmission
    - Fabricate log headers
    - Install turbo/wastegate/BOV
    - Mount Intercooler
    - Run Downpipe
    - Hook up oiling system
    - Install rear end
    - Upgrade front brakes
    - Tune/Datalog

Parts already bought:

- Ebay GT3582r
    - t3 Flange/gasket
    - 38mm wastegate
    - GM boost solenoid
    - GM pig tail
    - 3 Bar Map Sensor
    - Oil fittings/lines
    - CX Racing Intercooler kit
    - 36# from Southbay Fuel Injectors
    - 700r4
    vette servo, boost valves, intermediate valves
    - 2800 stall converter
    - A/C delete box with blower
    - Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 sensor
    - Moates Burn2
    - Moates GP1 package
    - OBD1 ALDL Cable

The car is also getting:
    - 4th gen rear end with posi 3.73 gears, and a DTS Girdle (bought)
    - 98-02 Front brakes
    - Competition Engineering 3-way drag shocks (bought)
    - Adj. panhard bar/other goodies

** STILL NEED TO BUY ** (If you happen to be selling any of this, please let me know!)
    - Adj. panhard bar/other suspension goodies
    - 2 inch lowering springs
    - 2.8/3.1/3.4 header flanges
    - Oil pan bung

I will be tuning the car myself with the help of a good friend. I will be tuning the stock 7730 using $59 (modified typhoon/syclone code). Ideally, my goal horsepower is 250 rwhp @ 7-8 psi. I think that is a solid mark and I wouldn't be surprised if I far surpass it. There isn't a whole lot of people who are doing this, but those that have taken the time and energy have gotten great results. I want to keep the car street friendly and reliable, I don't need anything crazy... just faster than the minivans that pass me!

I'm sure I'm forgetting somethings and I will come back through and update it later if I remember. Looking forward to sharing this project and hopefully seeing what it can do. If it blows up, well there is 10 other 3.1-3.4 engines in the junkyard 3 miles from my house. Thanks guys!

Last edited by C2YT; November 10th, 2015, 08:27 PM.
    1991 Camaro RS: "Tiny Turbo Mullet"

sigpic

Awesome project!
    You have a lot of work to get accomplish this winter!

Comment

[MENTION=709]bri2203[/MENTION], thank you! Hopefully it will keep me busy through the spring. It will be pretty cool when its all done, definitely something I will be proud of. Not a lot of people out there can point to their car and say "I did that."

sigpic

Comment

Sounds cool! I know I'll be keeping an eye on this thread
        91 Firebird 305 TBI

Comment

Sounds awesome! Always been interested in the eBay turbo, but never wanted to take the plunge

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks guys, I will try to keep this as updated as i can. Probably buying the header flanges tonight.

[MENTION=3597]ruckusz28[/MENTION], I was pretty hesitant too. But looking over the part I was surprised and the quality and packaging. I do plan to upgrade to a better turbo down the road, but the price of a "name brand" turbo would cost me more than everything else i bought.

sigpic

Comment

Cool project, will be watching. Ever consider swapping rear ends in your 91' and 92'?

Comment

Originally posted by C2YT View Post
                Thanks guys, I will try to keep this as updated as i can. Probably buying the header flanges tonight.

@ruckusz28, I was pretty hesitant too. But looking over the part I was surprised and the quality and packaging. I do plan to upgrade to a better turbo down the road, but the price of a "name brand" turbo would cost me more than everything else i bought.
                The housings are usually solid - it's the internals that you'll eventually want to replace. If I recall, @Hugger Z did something similar. Or perhaps it was someone else. It was a while back, so I don't quite remember.
                Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

Thanks for all the positive comments guys, I really appreciate it.
                  @jakes_GSXR I believe they are the exact same. Both have drums, 3.23 gears, and one wheel peel. I might have confused you in my signature, but the 92' still has the stock rear end in it. I have the iroc rear right next to my 4th gen one. Both are waiting to go in lol
                  @MP81 That is what I have heard too. I think you can get a name brand rebuild kit and change out the internals and it fixes the problem. Either way, running a good air filter will help keep crap out. I also plan to upgrade it down the road, this turbo was $185 so I couldn't go wrong even if it only lasts a summer. My friend who is helping me ran his for about 2 years of track abuse and driving around town, it finally gave out when something went through his filter at the track.
                  Last edited by C2YT; November 12th, 2015, 12:29 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Sweet build and GOOD LUCK with everything!!!
                    sigpic

Comment

Sounds like a fun project John. I love seeing something different. Would be a great time to build a hybrid...3.1L with 3.4L heads. They breath a lot better.
                      DynoDave
                      POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

Thanks guys!
                        [MENTION=4659]DynoDave[/MENTION] I would love to do that, but for this winter I just want to see what the stock engine will do. Next winter I might look into a cam (delta 260 grind $110) and a little head work. But that's all up in the air, I just want to drive it and be faster than minivans lol

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MP81 View Post
                          The housings are usually solid - it's the internals that you'll eventually want to replace. If I recall, @Hugger Z did something similar. Or perhaps it was someone else. It was a while back, so I don't quite remember.
                          Yeah my APS kit was purported to come with Mitsubishi 20g turbo's. It was later found out that they were cheap chinese knockoffs. I got lucky and mine lasted 2yrs. Some guys didn't even make it out of their garage with them. Thankfully the knock-offs were dimensionally accurate. So when the seals started to wear and the turbo's smoked under boost, I found a set of replacement center sections for them. The new centers were true Mitsubishi center sections. They bolted & clamped up to all of the same parts, pipes, tubes, etc. And they spooled up faster than the originals and so far have lasted a lot longer.
                          My Toys: Hugger Orange 1999 Z28 6-Spd Twin Turbo
                          1937 Chevy Extended Cab Pick-up (One of a kind)
                          Future Toy: Orange Ultima GTR or SLC

Comment

Great to hear, I really can't wait to see what my car will do. My expectations are pretty reasonable, but just any gain over 140hp is a gain! Lol

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hugger Z View Post
                              Yeah my APS kit was purported to come with Mitsubishi 20g turbo's. It was later found out that they were cheap chinese knockoffs. I got lucky and mine lasted 2yrs. Some guys didn't even make it out of their garage with them. Thankfully the knock-offs were dimensionally accurate. So when the seals started to wear and the turbo's smoked under boost, I found a set of replacement center sections for them. The new centers were true Mitsubishi center sections. They bolted & clamped up to all of the same parts, pipes, tubes, etc. And they spooled up faster than the originals and so far have lasted a lot longer.
                              I'm glad you mentioned this. I was wondering about new turbos at that price point.
                              DynoDave
                              POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

Working...
                              X