Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DynoDave View Post
    What is that cracked ear a mount for?
    Was figuring it out for an hour. Looks like the the mounting hole for the bracket where the power steering pump goes.
    Last edited by Pyramid_Head; April 21st, 2021, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Just ordered a set of pistons

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/uem-3437hc-std

Should be in by 3-4 weeks.

Comment

That should do the trick, doesn't appear to be too expensive, either.

It does say they drop-ship tomorrow, but who knows - things are thrown out of whack from the pandemic. I ordered some Global West subframe connectors about a week and a half ago now (from Jeg's), and they were supposed to ship from GW by about yesterday or the day before, but they haven't yet. But based on GW's website, I expect it's just delayed, which is fine - it snowed all day yesterday (despite being 80 for a couple days early last week) so I'm not exactly rushing outside to put body bushings in to then drive the car over to get the SFCs put in.
        Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

Dang. Sounds brutal. All we have here are wind gusts. Can't wait for fire season. Apparently it's year round now.

Comment

Certainly not enjoyable. Been windy here as well, but it's almost always windy. Less on the whole "fire" thing.

Comment

Cracked open the ls1 ss rear end and it looks like the gears have a lot of play. I was hoping to reuse them to save, but looks like it's not happening. Found a strange ring and pinion set for $170, but the yukon 3.42 seems more reliable. At $370, it's gonna take a huge bite on my wallet!

Comment

That's disappointing.

I haven't cracked open mine yet. Not to many Granny owner F-bodies though, so I'm not holding my breath.
                DynoDave
                POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

Just bit the bullet and bought an FTI built transmission with a 2800 stall from summit. I would have loved to learn how to rebuild my own 4L60, but honestly, I have more money than time at the moment.... I'm ready to be flamed.... hahaha

Comment

I don't think anyone would blame you for not rebuilding your automatic yourself - most wouldn't.

Comment

I can appreciate the sentiment, wanting to do it yourself. But I found no joy in rebuilding automatics in school. I'll pay to have mine done.
                      DynoDave
                      POCI # 72200

Comment

Just updating my built thread. I know it has been one heck of a year for all of us. My dad has cancer; I have been taking him constantly to the ER, and my mom recently had a stroke which really knocked her down badly. Since i am working with limited time here, i had no choice but to put my project on hold, plus all of my brothers and sister gave up on my parents, so i'm the only one taking care of them. Well, anywho, I am now working at home, moved my parents to my house, and now have enough time to come back at it again. This is where i left her off:
                        Attached Files

Comment

I was reading up on exhaust systems, and at first, I really liked the Texas Speed true duals for the 98-02 Camaros even though it needs slight fabrication work up front. Then i started reading that Y pipes aren't that bad at all for engines producing under 500hp. Since my hedman headers have a 2.5" collection, does anyone recommend a y pipe setup? I have both UMI straight panhard bar and adjustible tunnel mounted torque arm for my 700r4. Since i have these two items, i guess true duals are off the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Pyramid_Head View Post
                            I was reading up on exhaust systems, and at first, I really liked the Texas Speed true duals for the 98-02 Camaros even though it needs slight fabrication work up front. Then i started reading that Y pipes aren't that bad at all for engines producing under 500hp. Since my hedman headers have a 2.5" collection, does anyone recommend a y pipe setup? I have both UMI straight panhard bar and adjustible tunnel mounted torque arm for my 700r4. Since i have these two items, i guess true duals are off the list.
                            Hi Al. I'm sorry to hear about your folks. I lost mine a few years ago, and the final years of failing health were a rough ride. Lots of respect for what you are doing for them.

Glad you are finding some time to work on the car.

As for the duals...I know true duals on a 3rd gen are a real bear. I have not tried it myself, just know what I've been told. If it's not essential, personally I would avoid the hassle.
                            DynoDave
                            POCI # 72200

Comment

Thanks for the advice Dave. My progress will be slow, but i'll keep asking and updating.

Comment

So, i was still working on removing some old original parts underneath the car, and i couldn't help to see how old and cruddy the old driveshaft looks like. It's still good, and still works. I was wondering if it's worth replacing with an ls1 aluminum unit, or just reuse my original one. Other than surface rust and being 5lbs heavier, it looks fine to me. What do you guys think? It's old, but it aint broke.
                                Last edited by Pyramid_Head; July 12th, 2022, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X