Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's the cover I have on the donor axle I'll be building for mine.
    DynoDave
    POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

Originally posted by DynoDave View Post
      That's the cover I have on the donor axle I'll be building for mine.
      What other parts are you going to be adding on your diff?

Comment

The donor is a late 4th gen F-body piece. I don't care for the extra width of a 4th gen housing in a 3rd gen, so I'll be moving that factory Zexel Torsen diff and 3.42 gear set to a 3rd gen housing, along with the aluminum cover and LS rear disc brakes. I'll have to buy some new axles, as my '88 has 26 spline axles, and the 4th gen donor is a stronger 28 spline design. But those are Rock Auto pieces, as the last of the 3rd gens, '91-'92, also had 28 spline axles, and in (obviously) the 3rd gen width.

For me, it's a giant snowball. While the axle is out, that's the ideal time to install the Borla catback system I have. And of course, there's no need to add that to the stock cat, y-pipe and manifolds. So that means it's time to install the Ceramic coated SLP headers and dual cats. We all know those 33 year old exhaust manifold studs are not going to cooperate, so since I have them, that's the time to swap to the L30 Vortec heads. And if the top of the engine is apart, the GM/Crane roller cam and new intake make sense now too. Better water pump, rear main seal, and colder thermostat, lower temp fan switch, and host of other "while I'm in there" upgrades go in also. All the hoses are originals, so I'll have to make some date coded replacements. All that engine work means more fuel is needed, so with the axle and exhaust out, it time to drop that tank, clean and seal it, and upgrade the fuel pump and wiring. The axle gets aluminum control arms and Bilstein shocks as it goes back in, so I'll have to install the Koni front struts at the same time, as well as LS front brakes to balance the rears. And strut mounts too...those are still the originals and long since past their prime. There will probably be some mild lowering springs in that formula somewhere. The stock 700R4 probably comes out at this time to be rebuilt to handle a little more power, and a little higher stall converter will go in. I have a strut tower brace, wonder bar, and know which subframe connectors I want, so I might as well get them in now too and be done with it. It's a crazy bunch of work to take on all at once, so it will definitely be a long winter tear-down and rebuild, when the time comes.
        DynoDave
        POCI # 72200

Comment

We all know those 33 year old exhaust manifold studs are not going to cooperate
          You know, that's what I expected on mine (they were about 36 years old at that time) and I did not break a single bolt/stud. Even the nuts on the U-clamps rear of the mufflers all came off without an issue...those always break!

The whole "always a Cali car" probably helped significantly there.
          Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

True. There's always a chance they come out clean, but I'm not banking on that.
            DynoDave
            POCI # 72200

Comment

Definitely don't expect it - that way, if they do happen to all come out well, you're pleasantly surprised.

Comment

The donor is a late 4th gen F-body piece. I don't care for the extra width of a 4th gen housing in a 3rd gen, so I'll be moving that factory Zexel Torsen diff and 3.42 gear set to a 3rd gen housing, along with the aluminum cover and LS rear disc brakes. I'll have to buy some new axles, as my '88 has 26 spline axles, and the 4th gen donor is a stronger 28 spline design. But those are Rock Auto pieces, as the last of the 3rd gens, '91-'92, also had 28 spline axles, and in (obviously) the 3rd gen width.
                Wonder if i should do the same since the 98-02 housing is the weak point of the diff. Is it wise to do the same you're doing to my rear end? I was thinking if just installing it in, and just swap in the aluminum cover..
                Last edited by Pyramid_Head; April 12th, 2021, 11:30 PM.

Comment

“I'd rather be a pessimist because then I can only be pleasantly surprised.”

― Ben Franklin
                  MP81 likes this.
                  DynoDave
                  POCI # 72200

Comment

Very true. I'd rather spend a little more and have a piece of mind than see what i've worked so hard just fall apart.
                    Last edited by Pyramid_Head; April 12th, 2021, 11:29 PM.

Comment

After lots of drama in the family, my dad being dx with a GIST, i finally had time today to continue cleaning up the block, but found this... hope it doesnt hurt much.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Pyramid_Head; April 20th, 2021, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Well that's nice...

Comment

Well, seems like this engine built has come to a hault again. Block has a crack, and my son dropped a piston, putting a nice dent at the top. At least i have some working 350 vortec heads... and a whole bunch of new parts.... just my luck...

Attached Files
                          Last edited by Pyramid_Head; April 20th, 2021, 08:56 PM.

Comment

It's obvious that i need to swap out that piston... i might upgrade to some flat tops. As for the block.... i dont know... It might still fly since it's only a surface crack that has to do with accessories, and not internal stuff. I may just send it out to a machinist and have it repaired. .... more $$$$$.... more nagging from the wife
                            Last edited by Pyramid_Head; April 20th, 2021, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Yeah...I mean, it can probably be used, but it seems like a good time to upgrade, as you said - bump up that CR for more power and efficiency.

Comment

What is that cracked ear a mount for?
                                DynoDave
                                POCI # 72200

Comment

Working...
                                X