X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 92 camaro build

About to start a build on the 92 Camaro i bought not too long ago. I picked up a 880 vortec engine from a rear ended 97 silverado. It's a 2 bolt, but i'm not interested on going butt crazy on it. I'm presently tearing it down.

Just ordered a few parts for a rebuild. Someone told me to up to a 383, but dont have another grand for a new balanced rotating assembly, so i'm just going to treat the bottom with a hot tank tx, new bearings, rings, connectors. It will be a carb conversion (750cfm), some minor head work (tougher springs and 1.6 rockers for the vortecs), still thinking about what cam.

Got a full suspension setup, but havent had time to install it. Brakes will be LS1. Transmission will be upgraded to a built 700r4 with 2400-2800 stall, but haven't got the funds yet. Rear end will be a 9" with 3.42 gears... presently have a complete LS1 rear from a 02 ss with 3.42, but i've heard horror stories on them.

Wife is pissed, but hahaha! I'm still doing it! I'll have pics soon

Should be quite the fun project!
    Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

Sounds like a good plan Al. From what I read, Vortec 350s with a good cam and a little other work can be upwards of 400 horse without breaking a sweat.

Are you building the heads, or having them done for you? I ask because stock Vortecs don't need a lot of port work in stock form for street use. It's actually easy to screw them up by doing to much, so proceed with caution. Also, they are limited to about .450" lift or a little less. With a more aggressive cam and higher ratio rockers, you really need to measure carefully, and do some modifications to get the clearance you need for the lift you have in mind.

The 3rd and 4th gen. axles are a little on the small / weak side. Automatic helps. Being an '02 axle helps a little...it has the stronger Zexel Torsen differential, and it has 28 spline axles. These survived with moderate care (and no slicks) behind LS powered cars for many years. With an automatic, street tires and a modicum of adult self restraint, it should be OK. I have one I plan to put into my T/A. Getting an aluminum rear cover with cast in support / truss and bolts that reinforce the caps holding the differential in place will help too.
      DynoDave
      POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

Yup. Upgrading them with some

Valve Spring, Single, Beehive, 1.075 in. Outside Diameter, 372 lbs./in. Rate, 1.100 in. Coil Bind (CCA-26918-16)

Valve Spring Retainers, Steel, 7 Degree, 1.055 in. Outside Diameter, .640 in. Inside Diameter (CCA-787-16)

Rocker Arms, Stud Mount, Roller Tip, Steel, 1.6 Ratio, Fits 3/8 in. Stud (CCA-1418-16)

and Valve Locks, Machined, Hardened Steel, 7 Degree, 1-Groove, 11/32 in. Valve Stem (CCA-648-16)

All from summit.

Comment

I'm deciding to keep it with a 700r4 because i'm done with manuals. I've owned cars in the past that had standard transmissions, so i've done my time. I was hpoing to get something like this,

https://probuiltautomatics.com/shop/...sion-1993-1997

but for a 400hp build, it may be overkill. I honestly don't need that much power, but i want my RS to be camaro worthy so i can let it go wild occasionally.

Comment

I honestly don't think "overkill" exists when talking about a 700R4/4L60, since they do like to grenade - being built should help tremendously.

Don't blame ya on sticking with the auto, especially with LA traffic.

Comment

Any advice on the intake/exhause valves themselves? Should i reuse, or buy new ones?

If i do buy new ones, they may be these

intake:
              https://www.summitracing.com/parts/man-10576-8

Exhaust:
              https://www.summitracing.com/parts/man-10577-8

Or if anyone has a better option, please let me know. A box full of new stuff for my engine is coming soon!

Comment

Nothing wrong with the stock valves that I'm aware of. If they are in good shape, maybe give them a little back cut, and you should be good. But if any have a condition issue, I wouldn't hesitate to use those Manley valves you linked to.

Looks to me like you've done you're homework!
                DynoDave
                POCI # 72200

Comment

My project is kind of at a hault right now due to a minor pelvic injury (non-work related). Hopefully i can recuperate soon.

My box full of goodies came in yesterday. Still can't decide what cam to use, but to keep it streetable, probably a comp cam with 224 degree single pattern at .050 int and exh lobes, and a 108 lsa. It may equal to a .560-.565 valve lift on int, and .528 on exh, which is why i upped to a set of 1.6 rockers.

I'm still trying to figure it out with different kinds of stall ratings on converters and 3.42 gears. I hate math, but gotta crack my noggin to build it right. I've also been reading articles on how to choose cams/convertors/rear ends, and i'm really liking the 26-2800's, plus, i found a built 700r4 in summit's website that caught my attention. I have an account with them already. I might as well purchase it soon after i'm done with the engine build.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fti-s0009

or.... should i just rebuild my own 4l60 that i already have with this kit:

https://www.monstertransmission.com/...93_p_5248.html

It'll save me a whole lot of $$$$, plus my brother in law is a master mechanic down at the GMC in LA.... Maybe he can give me a hand with this.
                  the kit, plus the torque converter would be about $1600; i'll be saving more than half!

So many ways to do this!
                  Last edited by Pyramid_Head; March 29th, 2021, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Hah... pelvic injury... i'm getting old.

Comment

Just ordered my comp cam. It's gonna take til mid June to arrive, but i dont mind. It'll give me time to install my mountain of suspension parts, decide which route to take for a transmission, and treat the rear end.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the injury.

Personally, I'm on the fence about what converter I will use too. I"m either going stock parts store cheap (a V6 S-10 converter behind a very mild SBC will get you in the 2400-2600 rpm range, which is about where I want to be. It will keep lock=up, and behave like a stock converter in most respects.

But a $$$ custom converter would be more efficient. And you have the luxury of just calling the maker, give them all your cars specs, your rpm goals, and they'll build you what you need. Very tempting.

Decisions, decisions....
                        DynoDave
                        POCI # 72200

Comment

Just got this from Hawks (TA Performance diff cover) on ebay. Hope it helps out the puny ls1 ss 3.42 rear end.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Camaro-Fire....c100904.m5276

I was thinking about getting an eaton lsd, but if it aint broke, dont fix it. I'm going to borrow my in law's backlash tool to check out the rear end. It has 97k on it when i bought it. Hope it's still good enough.
                          Last edited by Pyramid_Head; April 2nd, 2021, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Those covers do help, well, as much as they can on a 7.5" 10-bolt. You're automatic and as long as you keep sticky tires off it, you should be good.
                            Last edited by MP81; April 2nd, 2021, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MP81 View Post
                              Those covers do help, well, as much as they can on a 7.5" 10-bolt. You're automatic and as long as you keep sticky tires off it, you should be good.
                              Very comforting to know. Thanks!
                              my back is kind of getting better, so i might start cleaning up the block soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X