X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get caught standing still...

Have an email in to Tony Mamo and probably going to pick up one of his ported FAST 102 manifolds. I'm also trying to limit the cost of this upgrade and it seems like at least for now, an Ebay WARR 102 TB is 95% as good as a Nick Williams unit. Figure I'll also feed it with a 85mm truck MAF instead of the ported and descreened stock unit I have now (unless of course somebody has a better budget option). I will at least be doing the gas tune myself on the street, and maybe pay for some dyno time to get the flex setup running.

This is mostly a purchase that will work well in combination with the M29 trans going in that will have the engine spinning much higher all the time. With the engine out, it's also getting L92 valve springs (now the official GM LS1 replacement spring so it's legal as stock), new pushrods, trunion upgraded stock rockers, Improved Racing pan baffle, crank scraper and windage tray, catch can, high pressure oil pump, new timing chain and gears, rod bolts, as well as all new gaskets.

The idea is to spin this thing anywhere from 6800-7000rpm to avoid shifting.
    1994 Z28 - 2002 M3 - 2015 1.0T Mileage Accumulator

sigpic

Comment

• Plans changing a bit already. Ordered the Mamo ported 102 as well as a 102 TB. Will be opening up the entire tract. Also updating to the later 241 heads as I found some really cheap. The casting is a bit smoother than the 98 heads which should help incrementally, and for $125 for the set of heads why not? Can probably get the same out of my stockers. The fact they were offered in some late 2000 MY cars with the earlier cam makes them legal. Pretty sure I've found a bolt-on TOB for the M29 trans as well.

All this because I broke the index this year and we got the biggest bump of all classes. Average PAX of all classes got harder relative to A Mod at +.002. ESP got hit at +.008.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by landstuhltaylor View Post
        Pretty sure I've found a bolt-on TOB for the M29 trans as well.
        TOB?

Originally posted by landstuhltaylor View Post
        All this because I broke the index this year and we got the biggest bump of all classes. Average PAX of all classes got harder relative to A Mod at +.002. ESP got hit at +.008.
        Gotta keep up with the Joneses!

DynoDave
        POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

• Hydraulic throwout bearing

sigpic

Comment

• Throw Out Bearing (TOB). Got it.
            DynoDave
            POCI # 72200

Comment

• Time for an update, mostly copied from FB

Motor is out and almost ready to go back in. There was tons of oil in the intake which leads me to believe all the oil leaks were from a barely functioning PCV system. Nothing looked wrong with the seals that were pulled out so I think the crankcase was getting pressurized during high RPM. Anyway, popped in new front and rear main and cover seals, ARP rod bolts, crank scraper and windage tray, pan baffle, high pressure oil pump and pickup tube brace, L92 valve springs, trunion upgrade, chromoly 7.325 pushrods, and the late LS6 valley cover. I did not resize the rods as I suspect I will pull everything apart again in at most 3 seasons so I'll roll the dice on them lasting that long. I also noticed that the coolant crossover was blocked off and will be fixing that with the Motion Raceworks V2 kit that clears the FAST intake. Combine that with a completely rusted front knock sensor and the engine swallowing oil, that may explain why the engine only ever took 25 degrees of timing. The good news is the cylinder bores look to be in excellent condition.

Still need to finish trimming the waterpump for the FAST and order a few gaskets before it's ready to go back in the car. From then on it's setting up dual catch cans and ordering the new lid and SSRA, replacing the windshield wiper motor, and rigging up the flex fuel sensor again.

sigpic

Comment

• Engine is mostly ready to go back in the car despite the fun of stripping a few threads out of the crank. Had to buy a Helicoil kit for it and I'm sure it will be interesting getting that sucker back to 230 ft-lbs but I don't have any other choice. Just waiting on Modern Driveline to get back to me with a new clutch hydraulic setup before I can reattach the trans and throw things back in. Also need to mount the coolant crossover lines and reinstall some sensors but other than that it's good to go.

I think I'm going to have to leave the FAST intake off when putting it back in the car. It is now the tallest point of the motor and I already barely had enough height to sneak it out from under the chassis.

Of course now I won't be able to work on it as I will be in Japan for the rest of February.

sigpic

Comment

• Boy...a tap in the snout of the crank...things you don't want to see. Hope it holds up for you.

Japan for a month...should be fun, but will put you behind on season prep for sure.
                  DynoDave
                  POCI # 72200

Comment

• Originally posted by DynoDave View Post
                    Boy...a tap in the snout of the crank...things you don't want to see. Hope it holds up for you.

Japan for a month...should be fun, but will put you behind on season prep for sure.
                    Not that long but it is a short month. I was supposed to go yesterday but it got delayed last minute. Hoping to book my flight tomorrow so I can leave Sunday and work through the 19th. After that, vacation in Tokyo, Kyoto, and Hiroshima until the 25th. The planning for the trip both on the work and personal side has been absorbing a lot of time so by the time it's done it will have felt like a month.

sigpic

Comment

• When your trailer is 2.5x what you paid for the tow rig... I should probably get this car back together now.

sigpic

Comment

• Gotta pay to play - and why fix what isn't broken (the truck)?
                        Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

• Yep, somebody gets it. The price gap between this trailer and a bottom of the barrel steel one isn't enough to get a truck that tows better anyway.

sigpic

Comment

• I agree with that approach. I want to do the same thing but theft is my biggest concern. I think I'll end up fencing in the area I want to park it.
                            -Joel
                            1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
                            1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

• I ordered the shorter 16 so that it fits inside my garage. Normally the truck also sits parked sideways right in front of the doors. Worst case if I need space there is a locked gated spot right next to the garage and I can use the truck to block that in too.

It's much more likely the open steel trailer that is not secured and sits directly on the opposite side of the alley from my garage would be the one that gets stolen.

sigpic

Comment

• Yeah, I'm confident id have no issues with a steel trailer sitting outside in my neighborhood. Its a low crime area but there's a lot of traffic, and a lot of people that might be interested in an aluminum trailer if it was visible. Thought about painting one black so it looks steel
                                -Joel
                                1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
                                1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

Working...
                                X