Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Try a tr6 gapped at .035 i think it will solve your problems (thats what i use). 0.050 gap was for sure way too much.
    -Joel
    1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
    1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

• It's been a while since this thread was updated. Work is a little slow today, so I might as well give an update!

I replaced my spark plugs with NGK TR5s gapped at .040". That took care of the flashing SES light, but not the high speed ignition problem. That, I'm afraid, may be optispark-related. I bought this Chandler optispark brand new from Jentry ( [MENTION=1724]jetice[/MENTION] ) in 2012, and it sat for a couple years before I ever got around to installing it. I did some more research, and it sounds like Chandler optisparks don't exactly have a stellar track record. There were multiple reports of their units being DOA, brand new out of the box. Unfortunately, I'm guessing the chances are pretty good that I was the unlucky recipient of one of these defective units. Now to find an AC Delco or Delphi replacement.

The car has been sitting in the garage, untouched, since November. I haven't covered it up in the vain hope it will convince me to actually work on it this winter. Other than the optispark, I want to get the headliner redone and fix an exhaust leak in time for spring. We'll see if that actually happens!

1996 Camaro Z28 cam, heads, stall, and a few other goodies
      Alumni Member, MSU Racing Club
      THREE-PEAT MiFbody Meet & Greet "Longest Hauler Award" 2010, 2011, 2012
      Originally posted by JasonH
      It's amazing what you can get done when you throw copious amounts of money at something.

Comment

• 24x Conversion time?

Comment

• If only it didn't cost $1000

It's amazing what you can get done when you throw copious amounts of money at something.

Comment

• Originally posted by alone_and_insane View Post
            If only it didn't cost $1000
            is it really that much? What does a Delco Opti cost?

Start collecting the parts now, and be ready by spring. $200 here and there isnt bad.

Comment

• It's quite pricey. $1000 is conservative and doing all the wiring yourself. They have a newer one that is plug and play without the harness that's really nice but I think around $1200-1300. Full swap with the harness for the original setup is like $1500-2k new IIRC.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

• I haven't updated this thread in forever, time I remedy that.

I went to the Meet & Greet Car Show and brought home some hardware:

One of my exhaust hangers broke, and I was in a pinch, so I improvised a solution:

I replaced my Chandler Opti, which caused misfire issues at high RPM and when lugging at highway speeds, with a reman ACDelco unit from RockAuto:

Only issue it still has is that now on every startup it throws a P0336 crank position sensor code. Never threw it once before the opti swap. I haven't had much luck finding any definitive answers as to what the cause is, or what the fix is, other than that it's related to the Opti. Doesn't seem to be causing any drivability issues, though. It only sets on startup, never while driving.

Last weekend I accomplished my goal of driving the car back to Wisconsin for my 10-year high school reunion. About 900 miles over the weekend, with no issues. I don't have the AC working yet, so I had the tops off pretty much the whole drive. It did a number on my already-deteriorating headliner:

Fortunately there's a shop right next door to where I work that does headliners. A few short hours and $150 later, all better!

Comment

• So my New Year's Resolution this year is to get into the habit of budgeting and paying closer attention to my finances. So before January 1st, I ordered new exhaust for the Camaro went with the Hooker Blackheart system https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hok-70501413rhkr and it looks like it's a good thing I ordered it when I did, it's back up to full price now!

Plan is to cut out my old janky exhaust, install the new headers, then have the rest of the work done by Keith's Muffler in Westland. And while I'm at it, I might have them weld in my SFC's that have been sitting in my garage for the last two years.

Comment

• Someone on here put that system on and said it went on pretty easy. Sounded great too
                    When in doubt, Whip it out !

Comment

• Atrus has it. I made the recommendation for it when Peter posed the question on FB, based on his feedback on his.

It's a damn fine system.
                      alone_and_insane likes this.
                      Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

• Originally posted by MP81 View Post
                        Atrus has it. I made the recommendation for it when Peter posed the question on FB, based on his feedback on his.

It's a damn fine system.
                        And it was discounted something like $70, so it was the time to buy!

Comment

• Absolutely!
                          Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

• Originally posted by alone_and_insane View Post
                            So my New Year's Resolution this year is to get into the habit of budgeting and paying closer attention to my finances. So before January 1st, I ordered new exhaust for the Camaro

DynoDave
                            POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

• I watch for the eBay emails announcing the one day discounts. They are 10,15, or 20%. The headers and midpipe I want are $480. Waiting for a 20% coupon.
                              When in doubt, Whip it out !

Comment

• Originally posted by farmington View Post
                                I watch for the eBay emails announcing the one day discounts. They are 10,15, or 20%. The headers and midpipe I want are $480. Waiting for a 20% coupon.
                                That's how I bought half the stuff for my recent engine work. Between that and picking up things used I think I knocked something like $800 off the cost of everything versus if I had just bought it all from WS6Store/TSP.
                                1994 Z28 - 2002 M3 - 2015 1.0T Mileage Accumulator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X