Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big replacement panels like that do 80-90% of the work for you, but there's always the work of fitting them to the vehicle...always some messaging to do. Glad you got it handled.
    DynoDave
    POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

I agree. In hindsight i wish i had flange rivited and sealed the patch panels into the original panels, and covered it over with the fender flares. Had I done that this project would have been done already and I'd have been driving it by now. This is the more involved route but its going to be 100% rust free when its done.

I got another 2-3 hours of weld time in last night, just have to do the passenger wheel well, install the braces, and the bed will be ready to come back off to weld the front edge and do the final detail paint work on everything.
      -Joel
      1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
      1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

I think the truck will have more value based on the type of repair you are doing, when the time comes to move on to another vehicle.
        DynoDave
        POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

I agree, and depending how it tows it may be traded out for a 3/4 ton sooner than later. I'm hoping it does alright though after putting all this work in
          -Joel

Comment

I mean...I'd hope it'd tow decent, unless you're towing something like...10,000 lbs.
            Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

It won't be 10,000 but it very well might exceed 6,000. I am planning on doing a 14-bolt SF 6-lug axle swap with 4.56 gears eventually. Braking will be the biggest concern. It should be pretty stable with the stronger leaf springs i already have, class 5 hitch, and the frame reinforcements I plan on adding soon here. I would also do my best to have the right setup with trailer brakes and a load leveling hitch.
              -Joel

Comment

Ahh - could an HD brake swap up front be a cheap alternative to a new truck for increased braking performance? I don't know if they're bigger or anything, just a thought.

Comment

I have to research that. It may be possible with my 17" wheels but i doubt it. I don't expect it to stop on a dime and will give myself plenty of room... its when the unexpected happens that im concerned about.
                  -Joel

Comment

Yeah, you just need something that can handle the rapid rise in heat of trying to stop with the added load. Honestly, it could just be a pad change to a tow/haul pad.

Braided brake lines might also be a good idea.
                    Last edited by MP81; April 10th, 2019, 10:54 AM.

Comment

I will say....my 2003 Yukon with vacuum assist is MUCH worse than my wife's 2004 Suburban with hydroboost. If you're serious about keeping the truck and braking while towing is a concern, I'd strongly consider a conversion.
                      2000 SS Convertible #1414 - Light Pewter 6 Speed

Comment

Originally posted by Atrus View Post
                        I will say....my 2003 Yukon with vacuum assist is MUCH worse than my wife's 2004 Suburban with hydroboost. If you're serious about keeping the truck and braking while towing is a concern, I'd strongly consider a conversion.
                        I didn't even know they used hydroboost on these things. Is the 2004 burb a half ton?
                        -Joel

Comment

Starting in 2004 they did - came down from the 2500s.

Comment

yup, the GMT800 1500's all got hydroboost in 2004.

Really is a much firmer pedal. I really have to get the 2003 down closer to the floorboard than I'd like. Seems like a lot of travel and it's soft. Keep in mind, I also have replaced calipers, rotors, pads, and all metal and soft lines. Basically kept the master cylinder, vacuum booster, and ABS block. Everything else was replaced, so none of it is old.

the 2004 is much firmer with a much earlier engagement point.

Don't get me wrong, the 2003 stops, it's just that the hydroboost setup is NOTICEABLY better.
                            Last edited by Atrus; April 11th, 2019, 02:33 PM.
                            2000 SS Convertible #1414 - Light Pewter 6 Speed

Comment

That's great to know, thanks.
                              -Joel

Comment

I think upgrading to the Hydroboost and a tow/hauling pad (PowerStop makes their Z36 extreme towing kit...but those come with drilled and slotted rotors...so, since they're drilled, can't recommend those - but the pad would likely be a good contender to look at) would be exactly what you need.

Unrelated - watching one of the car shows on TV and they just put that kit on an older Ford Super Duty Dually, so that's what sparked my memory...but drilled rotors. Nahhh.

Then I just watched them replace the rear shocks - which obviously were Rancho load-leveling shocks - with very much not Rancho shocks. Ummmmmm...
                                Last edited by MP81; April 13th, 2019, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X