• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sexy.
    Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

Anyone a body guy by trade here? Wondering what the recommended method is to seal up a plug/flange weld. Since this steel is so thin and easy to warp, and the fact that this seam will be hidden under the flare, I decided to flange the bedside and do a seam/plug-weld joint instead of the typical stitch weld. It worked in the sense that it seems much stronger and doesn't seem prone to warping. However now that I have this tacked into place I'm thinking about the bare metal that will be inside this seam, and wondering how prone it will be to rusting inside out. In theory if i seal it externally 100% the bare metal inside should never be an issue. I could undo my 3-4 tack welds and spray the joint with weld-through primer. Not sure if its worth the headache or not, welding with the primer might be a lot messier. I could also try to leave just enough gap on the outside to "fill" the seam with paint, but not sure how well that would work.

Curt_irocz what say you?

Attached Files
      Last edited by JoeliusZ28; January 27th, 2019, 08:51 PM.
      -Joel
      1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
      1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

Use the Zinc weld-through primer.

We use that in similar situations when reworking the Fiat Doblo into the Ram ProMaster City.

Comment

Originally posted by MP81 View Post
          Use the Zinc weld-through primer.

We use that in similar situations when reworking the Fiat Doblo into the Ram ProMaster City.
          Thanks, It doesn't make the weld splatter or burn through or anything like that?
          -Joel
          1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
          1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

No, I don't believe so - assembly plants tend to get whiny about that kind of stuff, but I see it used pretty widely in a lot of the car TV shows as well. It's good stuff.

Comment

You can use a weld threw primer on the inside. Before you weld it in. But if your concerned about the inside rusting... you can take the body plugs out of the inner wheel well, and coat inside. Or take the tail light out, and use cavity wax with a long wand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X