X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.3 plus a magnum t-70 in a 87 IROC

Ok, so here goes! I have spent the last couple of years slowly buying the parts that I will need for the build of my 1987 IROC hard top. I have been seeing all if the amazing power numbers out of the LS based engines on here and tech. I have seen alot of cars with 500+ HP with heads, cam, and intake. But I just don't see the need to spend this kind of money when I think I can get the same or better results with a T-70 turbo setup on a basically stock motor.
    So that is what I am going to do. I just ordered my turbo components today, they were the last on the long list of parts to buy.
    I'm not sure if I want to lower the car yet, I want to see what it looks like (how it sits) with the motor in it. Since I bought the car 5-6 yrs. ago without a motor and trans. has been just sitting in storage. And I have been collecting parts ever since.
    So this is the plan, and I will be documenting with pic.s as the build comes together.
    The car just came out of the paint shop, now she has a fresh coat of arctic white with gold SS stripes (which it had from the factory), I will post pic.s later when I can get to the car.
    The plan is to install the LM7 5.3 in the car then measure everything up for the hot side for the turbo. I am sure this will take some time but it is winter and I have a shop with most all of the equipment that will be needed.
    For the motor I will be running an ls6 intake, ls1 cam, and a set of PSI bee hive springs. I'm not sure about what push rods to use yet. I will be using a ported slp oil pump, JP racing billet timing chain set, and ARP rod bolts.

As far as the fuel system goes I will be running twin in tank pumps in a 4th gen tank, -6 feed lines, and -8 return line, and aeromotive boost reference fuel pressure regulator, billet fuel rails, and 42# injectors. Not sure on what I will be doing for a filter yet.
    I will be running all of the above into a T56 trans. with a spec 3+ clutch setup, custom drive shaft, and a moser 9" reared.
    As far as the chassis goes I have a set of spohn sfc's and lca's. Like I said before, I'm not sure if I want to lower the car or not yet. I also have a set of C5 Z06 wheels 17-9.5 with 275/40/17 all the way around. On the brake side I'm going C5 Z06 front's, and ls rear's. I am thinking about a cage, maybe a 6 point. I just don't want any door bars.
    I am really looking forward to this build, and I can't wait to be able to start getting my hands dirty. I would like to have it done by this spring. I would like to be able to run it on the power tour, and the lsx nationals. This will be a street car, not a drag car or a dyno queen. I am looking for 450-500rwhp in a fairly reliable combination. I think this should be doable.
    Last edited by kammi10; March 15th, 2012, 09:20 AM.

Just a little background on the car. it is a 1987 IROC 305 carb car. No power options at all, other than brakes and steering. no AC, not even a power hatch pull down. It has 43k miles on it no rust anywhere. But when I got it the car was stripped, no motor, no trans. The interior was in good shape except the stock seats were shot. They went in the garbage. I did happen across a set of 160mph gauges/ cable driven. I haven't seen any of these before so I was like SCORE! So, what I have found out about my car is that it is 1 of 499 that were actually built for the IROC race series. Now this is just what i have been told, I don't have any documentation on this, but i guess the first 250 went to the race teams across the country. But anyway, I just ordered some stainless headers for the turbo system, the motor and trans. are ready to go in, I have my wiring harness all put together, but I will need to extend it so I am pretty close to really getting this thing rollin.
    I do have a couple of questions though. does anyone know of a good tuner for when I get this all together?
    Attached Files

Comment

Some more pics for you guys.
      As you see I have been pretty busy on the car. I got the moser 9" in the car. Motor torn down, checked out swapped out the cam, apr rod & head bolts, psi race springs, 65lb injectors, VSR fuel rails, and an aeromotive boost referenced regulator. I am getting ready to put the fuel system together, I have all of my fittings finally, so that should go together pretty simple. I have the pedals in (which was a pita by myself), but i got them in. Once I get the motor in I can start on the the hot side of the turbo system. I already have my intercooler and all of that tubing. New radiator is ready to go in, with twin fans. Then when I get all that done I will start working on the brakes. those drums on the moser are gonna go up for sale. I have the C5 Z06 fronts, and ls1 discs and calipers for the rear. This will take a little fabricating but I think it should be pretty easy. Then I can measure for the spacers for my wheels. I am hoping that I can just order the size I need, rather than getting them and having to turn them down on the lathe. I might run a nitrous kit also , just not sure yet. As you can see I have my work cut out for me.
      Attached Files

Comment

I will have a lot of parts for sale in the future. And for the most part they are all mint. If you need any ls manifolds let me know I have 3 sets that I am not using. I also have a set of Edelbrock shorty headers that I am not using for a fourth gen, a stock drive shaft, a setoff 42# injectors. I also have a set of 3 piece louvers for the hatch,a B&M Mega shifter. Like I said, I have a bunch of stuff that I won't be using.

Comment

Gonna be a sweet ride when your done.
          sigpic
          Turbo Charged LS1/T56

Comment

Going to be a nice car for sure, seems like reasonable goals as well.

I assume youve switch the stock 5.3 (862 casting) heads for some 6.0 (317) heads?
            1999 Camaro - 6 liters of fury.....

Comment

looks good andy.. glad to see your still making progress

Comment

Good progress! Was wondering when you were Gunna start a thread here. I've been following the one TGO.

Keep up the good work!

Some use bakers for a tuner and some don't but since you're on the west side then they're prolly the closest. Some people love them and hate them but you would have to talk to Sean to know where to get a tune done.
                Last edited by 85z28kid; March 15th, 2012, 12:03 PM.

Comment

i havent seen the one on tgo, looks good
                  91 Trans am, 305, Lt1 cam, 24lb injectors, headers, SLP LM2, SW chassis, massive panhard, lowered, modded TPI, Tuned, 4.10s, Lincoln locked
                  85 Z28 406/th400?/3.42 4th gen disc rear/4th gen dash
                  00 Tahoe Z71........Stock
                  97 K1500 lt4 cam, 1.6s, MPFI, Solid axled, IROKs,------winter beater

Comment

Originally posted by TylerT/AZ28 View Post
                    i havent seen the one on tgo, looks good
                    Guess you gotta look!

Comment

Headers came in today and it looks like they will fit really nice. But it looks like I will be fabbing up a ps mount and an alternator bracket. I don't think this should be that big of a deal since I have seen some of the crap people are paying $350 + for. I was looking at a couple today and they want like $529 for a ps relocation kit and the alternator brackets. Hahaha, what a rip! The alternator bracket is like seriously $10 worth of 3/8 steel plate, and 8 bolts. Really? I get all the for $149.99? I'll take 2 please. and the ps relocation kit is $379 for a piece of billet aluminum with 3 holes in it, 2 steel braided lines and a couple fittings. I think I might have just fond a new source of income. But I think I might make a really nice bracket set up to use the stock ps pump and lines. I have the vette water pump and crank pulley, so I will have to space it accordingly. This stuff isn't rocket science, but I know as well as you do people will buy something these days rather than building it. Hell, look at me, I just bought a set of headers! But I have never made a set of headers, and I knew I would have way more time into a set of headers than what I paid for these. If you know what I mean. And these headers are beautiful stainless. I will post a pic tonight when I get bak to the shop.

Comment

sounds like fun. hope to see it around town.
                        sigpic
                        11.84 @ 117 w 1.66 60' (previous na best)

- - 5.3/4L80e/T7875 - -
                        - Huron Speed Turbo Kit -

1998 Formula

Comment

Ok, so my headers showed up today, and I think they look pretty good. I did have to open up the back 2 holes on for them to line up perfectly. I also found a guy here in GR that had a set of 241's and a ported TB for sale and I picked them up tonight for a pretty good deal. Thanks Kyle. I also mounted up one said TB to my manifold. I also cleaned up my coils and brackets. Put on my new MSD wires and they won't work with these headers, they lay right on the headers. So I guess jegs will be getting a call tomorrow. I think a 90 will work, these are straight and over half of the plug cap is touching the headers. here's some pic.s
                          Attached Files

Comment

looks awesome... cant wait to see it done.. i think it might put mine to shame... lol

Comment

Looks nice. We're Gunna have 3 turboed LS motored thirdgens this year in Michigan. That I know of atleast.

Keep up the good work!!

Comment

Working...
                              X