X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing issues...

As you may or maynot know, last week my car's radiator and wheel bearings took a dump and i had to be towed home. I have an issue now that i have the front splitter (which compleatly encloses the underside of the nose) the tow truck driver was having trouble finding a spot to wench it from. He wanted to pull it from the sway bar but i said no to that. He was eventually able to hook it onto the holes in the jack boxes behind the front wheels....

Question is this... Can pulling it from the sway bar be ok or will that bend and cause issues? If its a bad idea (which i think it is) has anyone ever installed a "tow hook" to the frame and if so, where and how did you mount it. Heaven forbid i should need a tow in the future but should something happen i dont want to have to argue with the driver on where to wench it from...
    sigpic
    1992 Camaro Z28 - 305 TPI Targa-top : Jessica Rabbit
    1996 Camaro Z28 - LT4 roadster : Epic - SOLD
    2000 Camaro RS - 3.8 V6 T-top : Edge - SOLD
    1988 Camaro RS - 2.8L V6 Hardtop : Blade - SOLD

did you use a flatbed or a traditional tow truck? If it was a flatbed and you just pulled car up I don't think that using the sway bar would be a big deal but if using a tow truck, no, that wouldn't be cool.
    When in doubt, Whip it out !

Comment

Agreed with Don. When my car has been flatbedded home in the past I know they used the holes for the jack boxes like you were talking about. But I've only been flatbedded, I've never let it be "towed"
      - Brian Meissen
      Owner, MiFBody.com
      Administrator, LTxTech.com

1994 Camaro LT1 Transplant - 357ci LT1, cammed, stalled, and driven.
      2022 Camaro LT1 - "Cherry Bomb 2"
      Michigan FBody Meet & Greet Car Show 2022
      June 4th, 2022 - 9am to 3pm!!!
      The HUB Stadium, Auburn Hills, MI

Comment

I've used an axle strap around the front sway bar a million times to winch the car onto a trailer with no ill effects. Agreed with the others though, no way should the car be towed by that thing.

Quick disclaimer: the sway bar was 35mm so probably a little stronger than stock although I honestly doubt it matters.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

It was a flat bed. Its always a flat bed. Im only talking about the wench they use to drag it up. So it might be ok then?
          sigpic

Comment

I tie my car down and winch with the loops behind the front tires

Comment

After thinking about it and googling some images, i think im going to try to install a tow hook. This is the pic that clintched it for me

I know the car is a little importish but the tow hook isnt as loud as i thought itd be and i think itll bolt to the impact bar fairly easily. Could fit the look of the splitter too...
              sigpic

Comment

It's not a ford.you don't really need a tow hook lol

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
                94' Camaro Z28 M6

Comment

Working...
                X