Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement build thread. 1999 firebird.

Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking up the block and crank on monday. I had the block painted old school Pontiac blue. Can't wait to get started!

As far as porting the heads go. . It's just aluminum. What could go wrong?

Comment

• Originally posted by zeeman View Post
      Picking up the block and crank on monday. I had the block painted old school Pontiac blue. Can't wait to get started!

As far as porting the heads go. . It's just aluminum. What could go wrong?
      Worst case and most likely scenario in my case would be buying new heads hell I already had to have some on fix spark plug threads(I didn't do it)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Well these are just 706 heads. I'm probably going to go with them unless I find a cheap set, and that's not likely to happen. It'll be good experience. I've done a bunch of research, watched videos. It'll get done.
        The spark plug thing is from over tightening them when they are put in. The heat and pressure tends tu fuse the threads together. They just need to be tight enough to seal.

Comment

• Well, block and crank are home, no pics yet, to cold out. I stayed everything down with a mineral spirits/ oil concoction to keep them from rusting. I might start tearing the heads down tonight. So I can get the porting going.

Comment

• Not sure if I mentioned it before, but it's worth saying again. Check to see if those heads were poured by Castech. Look for a symbol that resembles a battery (1 in photo) and if so, they are known to crack (2 in photo) and leak coolant into the oil.
            castech.jpg

1998 Camaro Z28 - Bright Red, 6.0 TR224, 4l60e, 3.42 Eaton TrueTrac
            1989 Camaro IROC-Z Convertible - 355 big tube TPI, WC T5, 3.42 Zexel Torsen, CTS-V/C4 brakes
            1955 Bel Air 2 Door Post - 357 TPI, Muncie M20, 4 wheel disc

2006 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Daily Driver

Comment

• Yes they are castecs. Thus is why I am somewhat reluctant to use them. But they aren't cracked now. And they have 90 k on them. Unless I can find some reasonably priced heads I'm going to run them.

Comment

• 20160217_183011.jpg
                Here's the block.

Comment

• Sounds like a Porsche problem

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
                  1994 Z28 - 2002 M3 - 2015 1.0T Mileage Accumulator

sigpic

Comment

• If it was a porsche, it wouldn't really be a problem.

I'm going to go pick up a set of 862s tonight. I don't need the headache of ported 706s.

Comment

• 862's are @ the welders getting the notches filled in.

Comment

• 862's are home, currently soaking in some purple cleaner. I need to make an adapter for my spring compresser. Welds came out super.
                        Rings and bearings are here too. The guy I got the heads from gave me a set of bolts for the heads but they don't apear to be correct. The lengths are all different.
                        I corrupted him and brought him here to this site. I think his user name is 99 Anthony. Young man's got a nice bird he's planning to turbo. Anyways thanks man and welcome aboard!
                        Last edited by zeeman; February 28th, 2016, 09:02 PM.

Comment

• Well, 8 hours plus and everything on the exhaust side of the heads is roughed in.
                          20160228_193723.jpg

20160228_193743.jpg

20160228_193730.jpg
                          Last edited by zeeman; February 28th, 2016, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• I did a conservative port match. Opened up the bowls, cleaned them up a ton, blended them into the seats. Bullet shaped the valve guide bosses. Then blended everything together.I also filed out the notches I had filled with weld. They came out good enough to run....but I'm probably going to have the heads decked anyways.

Comment

• Oh my God oh my God oh my God oh my God oh my God oh my God.
                              Got my hood !!!!
                              20160309_191914.jpg

Comment

• No. I don't know if it matches. But it looks good in the family room!

Comment

Working...
                                X