X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ol Time Rock N' Roller

THANKS FOR CLEARING THAT ALL UP FOR ME GUYS...
    "OL Time Rock n' Roller on Board "

Comment

Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil...

I think VR1 is okay and it comes in 10W30 and 20W50. It's still fairly inexpensive. I have been running it in the Z since the new cam and gear drive went in and I don't have a problem. If anyone has a definative answer on the amount of ZDDS in VR1 oils I would be interested to hear it.

Comment

Holy thread from the dead batman!

I dunno about our cars, but I know oil is killing my wallet
        The Chevy Camaro was built with a single purpose in mind which it executes flawlessly...Going very very fast in a straight line until your hair catches on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by YoshiBear View Post
          Holy thread from the dead batman!

I dunno about our cars, but I know oil is killing my wallet
          yeah im with ya on that one
          sigpic Im Gonna Party Like A Rock Star, Hit A Bunch Of Strip Bars, Wake Up Naked In A Hotel Room, Through My TV Out The Window, Smoke A Bunch Endo Cause Tonight Im Wanted Dead Or Alive

Comment

Western Michigan Camaro Club ~ President
            1987 Camaro IROC-Z Pearl White & Black w/ Red Pearl, 355 TPI, A4, 3:42, AirRide,"GOMARO"
            2017 Silverado Double Cab Z71 Pepperdust Metallic, 5.3, A6, 3:42, "SASYZ71"
            2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT White, 3800
            WMCC Website www.wmcamaro.org

"A government big enough to give you everything you want,
            is strong enough to take everything you have." — Thomas Jefferson

"Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who
            are willing to work and give to those who would not."
            Thomas Jefferson

Comment

good idea to bump this back up gary now that car season has approached us

Comment

so would our ls1 motors be fine or should we switch to? i am so lost can someone clarify for me thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by camaro keith View Post
                  so would our ls1 motors be fine or should we switch to? i am so lost can someone clarify for me thanks.
                  You are fine with a good quality oil. I like Valvoline and Castrol.
                  sigpic
                  Turbo Charged LS1/T56

Comment

Only affecting flat tappet motors right? Anyway I'm running full synthetic so it shouldn't matter, but diesel oils also lack the detergents to keep the motor clean don't they?

Used to own a Firebird.

Comment

You'll have to ask Jake what regular oil and a Hyd. flat tapet do

VicePresident of West Michigan Firebird Club
                      A.K.A The Maverick
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/660128/1
                      93 TA Currently Under Construction AGAIN
                      2007 2500 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab w/ 6.0L & 3.73's

Comment

Has anyone actually found any supporting info on this article? I only spent a couple freaking hours of my life on this... and I'm done.
                        I tried to do some searches, and everything went back to about 100 different websites with the same letter from Foreign Parts Positively.
                        ...or websites selling ZDDF additives. Yeah, I'll believe them.
                        I tried to find a couple of the noted bulletins, and can't find anything... everything goes back to the original letter.

I have absolutely no respect for letters and articles that are poorly dated and reference sources without links, names, phone numbers.
                        It looks so much like a bad e-mail, I had to check Snopes. (No help there).

The best ZDDP info I found seemed to be at www.mobil1.com, but even they are a little vague. For example:
                        http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...otor_Oils.aspx
                        Mobil seems to say that the engine guys say 800ppm is OK, but if you want more ZDDP, we have products for you.
                        The Mobile1 chart of their oils with Phos levels:
                        http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...duct_Guide.pdf

What do I believe?
                        ZDDP is real.
                        It has been reduced to 800ppm max. (Higher levels are available for non-street car applications.)
                        When was it reduced? Started reducing in 1988? maybe?
                        How much is bad for cat convertor? Not clear.
                        How much is needed for engine lube (either new or old)? Not clear.

I'm not saying it's bull. I'm just saying it smells a little funky.
                        In the famous words of Cheech and Chong; if it looks like it, feels like it, smells like it, and tastes like it... it probably is...
                        Goodnight.
                        Last edited by ZeeVert; April 10th, 2010, 11:18 PM. Reason: spelling
                        Zeevert - 2002 Z28

Another View of my Z28 ... or a Bonneville GXP

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom383 View Post
                          You'll have to ask Jake what regular oil and a Hyd. flat tapet do
                          Who's Jake?

Used to own a Firebird.

Comment

Originally posted by WMCCjames View Post
                            You are fine with a good quality oil. I like Valvoline and Castrol.
                            thanks man

Comment

Originally posted by ZeeVert View Post
                              Has anyone actually found any supporting info on this article? I only spent a couple freaking hours of my life on this... and I'm done.
                              I tried to do some searches, and everything went back to about 100 different websites with the same letter from Foreign Parts Positively.
                              ...or websites selling ZDDF additives. Yeah, I'll believe them.
                              I tried to find a couple of the noted bulletins, and can't find anything... everything goes back to the original letter.

I have absolutely no respect for letters and articles that are poorly dated and reference sources without links, names, phone numbers.
                              It looks so much like a bad e-mail, I had to check Snopes. (No help there).

The best ZDDP info I found seemed to be at www.mobil1.com, but even they are a little vague. For example:
                              http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...otor_Oils.aspx
                              Mobil seems to say that the engine guys say 800ppm is OK, but if you want more ZDDP, we have products for you.
                              The Mobile1 chart of their oils with Phos levels:
                              http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...duct_Guide.pdf

What do I believe?
                              ZDDP is real.
                              It has been reduced to 800ppm max. (Higher levels are available for non-street car applications.)
                              When was it reduced? Started reducing in 1988? maybe?
                              How much is bad for cat convertor? Not clear.
                              How much is needed for engine lube (either new or old)? Not clear.

I'm not saying it's bull. I'm just saying it smells a little funky.
                              In the famous words of Cheech and Chong; if it looks like it, feels like it, smells like it, and tastes like it... it probably is...
                              Goodnight.
                              You could just ask the 1000's of guys that have lost cam lobes due to this. Me being one.
                              sigpic
                              Turbo Charged LS1/T56

Comment

Working...
                              X