Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've only read good things about the Blackheart.
    DynoDave
    POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

• Got the new headers and exhaust installed!

(does anybody know how to embed video?)

On the way to the shop though, the car started running pretty rough, and it's still rich. So much so that it stunk up my clothes on the drive back home from the shop I'm not sure if I may have fouled a plug, or damaged one of them in the process of removing installing/removing the headers, or what. I guess the next step is to remove each of them and inspect them.

1996 Camaro Z28 cam, heads, stall, and a few other goodies
      Alumni Member, MSU Racing Club
      THREE-PEAT MiFbody Meet & Greet "Longest Hauler Award" 2010, 2011, 2012
      Originally posted by JasonH
      It's amazing what you can get done when you throw copious amounts of money at something.

Comment

• Well, it LOOKS good.

I would guess the answer would be something simple like you are describing. Is the Check Engine lamp on?
        DynoDave
        POCI # 72200

Comment

• It flashed a couple times on the way to the shop, but no codes. I cleared codes (only had the same EVAP code I get sometimes) before heading back home, and no CEL on the drive back. Could changing the exhaust really have messed with the tune that bad that I'd be running significantly richer now? Only other thing that makes sense is that I'm not burning fuel properly because of the plugs not creating proper ignition and combustion.

It's amazing what you can get done when you throw copious amounts of money at something.

Comment

• Sounds like an O2 sensor issue of some kind
            When in doubt, Whip it out !

Comment

• If they replaced headers im guessing you burned a plug wire or two. Cracked spark plugs are also possible. Seems like a really nice setup youve got there.
              -Joel
              1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
              1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

• Originally posted by farmington View Post
                Sounds like an O2 sensor issue of some kind
                I just reinstalled the same O2 sensors that I had before. There are no downstream O2 sensors anymore, because there are no cats. Do new headers do bad things to O2 sensors?

Originally posted by JoeliusZ28 View Post
                If they replaced headers im guessing you burned a plug wire or two. Cracked spark plugs are also possible. Seems like a really nice setup youve got there.
                I replaced the headers, the shop just installed the Blackheart kit. I'm pretty sure the wires are fine, but cracked plugs seem more likely. I had a heck of a time getting the old headers out and the new ones in by myself.

Comment

• Did you take the plugs off when you installed the headers?
                  Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

• Some of them, yes. But usually only after struggling with header removal for some period of time and resigning to the fact that it needed to be done. There was one spark plug that I recall had a little chunk of something between the electrodes, so there was no gap. I removed the chunk and it looked fine otherwise, so I just threw it back in.

...Typing it out like that makes me feel like that was a dumb thing to do

But it seemed to run fine for the first couple miles of the trip to the shop

Comment

• plugs are cheap, replace them all and it'll probably be mint.
                      -Joel
                      1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
                      1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

• Just so I understand...this is still an OBD1 vehicle, and never had post-catalytic converter O2 sensors?
                        DynoDave
                        POCI # 72200

Comment

• '96+ is OBD2.

I think Peter deleted the rear O2s earlier.
                          Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

• Originally posted by MP81 View Post
                            '96+ is OBD2.

I think Peter deleted the rear O2s earlier.
                            Right. Just making sure a PCM conversion hadn't happened. And there were OBD 1.5 vehicles in '95 as well. So we are saying those were tuned out of the mix way back? That's good. Post-O2 sensors don't have a big impact on driveability when a little lazy, but flat up missing 2 input signals should be throwing a hard check engine lamp/code. If he's not getting that (barring a tune to turn them off) then there's another problem.
                            DynoDave
                            POCI # 72200

Comment

• That's correct. The rear O2s were deleted a long time ago, and I had the codes deleted. I also had it tuned a couple years ago after getting the new motor in, but with the old headers and exhaust and a bad Optispark that didn't work at high RPM. I've since installed a new Opti and completely redid the exhaust.

Comment

• Let us know if the plugs and wires check out OK, or solve the problem.
                                DynoDave
                                POCI # 72200

Comment

Working...
                                X