X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin fuel pumps Question

OK, so I have a question about running twin in-tank pumps. Do you run them both all the time? Or, I was thinking about having the second pump only turn on once I hit a certian boost level, (like 3 psi). I have an ajustable switch that runs off a boost line, that I could turn on the second pump with. Does this sound like a good idea? Or am I over thinking this.

So, run both pumps all the time? Or, run one all the time and the other fired off of the boost switch? I am running a return style system.

talk with Ken (masterfab) he knows a lot on the twin pumps and everything that goes with it, he is also running twin pumps and boost, He'll is full of info
    '91 Camaro Modded, LSx, House of Kolor Intense White, lowered, GS chrome 18" wheels, 14" Brembo CTS-V on all 4 corners, LS rear end, FP suspension components

" When in doubt...throttle out ! "
    ENVYsion Entertainment Group

Comment

Either or is very common. Both methods have their positives and negatives. You will see most people run a hobbs switch to trigger on the second pump under a certain boost level. This works very well, however I have personally seen a case where the hobbs switch failed and the second pump was not kicking on at all causing the car to go very lean.
      With 2 pumps on all the time, you do create a little more heat as well as put a lot of time on both pumps as they are both being used all the time decreasing their life.

I ran them both on all the time in my last 2 set-ups, but next time around I think I will go with a hobbs switch to try that out!
      sigpic

98' Trans Am - Huron Speed Turbo Car

Comment

I already have the hobbs switch. I think I might as well run it, it's just a couple more wires.

Comment

I have lot of exsperiance with this. running 2 pumps all the time will heat the fuel up more, the return side will deliver twice the fuel that was used to cool 2 fuel pumps. on top that it lowers the life of the pump. in my opinion a hobs switch is the best way to go. your not eating power from the alternator as much. life of the pump is generally longer. fuel temps are lower and cools the fuel pump better.

even with running the 2 pumps all the time you still risk the chance of 1 pump dieing and you not knowing it and leaning the engine out.
          Last edited by masterfab; February 12th, 2013, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Are you going to be running this in a stock third gen tank? Just to give you a heads up its physically impossible to put the pumps in the tank as an assembly. The diameter of two pumps side by side is too big for the fuel sending unit opening, you actually have to assemble the pumps inside the tank. Not alot of fun but it can be done. Im also using a hobbs switch.
            2011 2SS/RS twin turbo
            1991 Z28 LS 370, 80mm turbo, 4L80E, Moser 9"
            738 rwhp 754 rwtq
            07 GSXR 750 TURBO 9.00 @152

Comment

I'm a fan of running them all the time. That's what a fuel pressure gauge is for, that's fairly easy to spot if a pump goes bad. A friend of mine had 3 walboro 255's stuffed in a Cobra tank, it was a pretty slick setup
              1998 Camaro SS Bullseye Turbo
              2002 F-250 7.3 Leveled on 20s with 35's
              2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary
              http://www.mifbody.com/vbulletin/sho...-Update/page11

Comment

Working...
              X