X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No crank no start, Battery nut is stripping battery terminals

Having no crank no start issues, replaced a battery after the mechanic said the cable had a loose connection, it did. Got a new battery, it screwed in great. Thought all the problems were solved. Car started and ran for a few days. Drove it work, then after turning it off it's back to no crank no start. I disconnected the negative and reconnected it thinking security or key issue? It ended up stripping the new one day old battery terminal all over again. I'll need another battery and new cables (if these are even sold??). Can I replace just the nut on the end or does the entire cable get replaced? Or do a hack job and convert them to top-mount connectors?

What else could be causing this issue? Mechanic originally said starter and alternator had normal numbers when tested.
    2000 Firebird A4 black hardtop
    intake/exhaust, fuel/ignition, pcm retune, rims/tires
    ~Phil

just replace the bolt on the cable. you can probably fix the battery too. Possibly just the new bolt will do it or a helicoil. or retap to the next size bigger in metric and use a short bolt of the appropriate size

As far as the no strart goes. You need to see if the battery has power. if yes go to starter draw test. If no. why? bad Alternator or belt,cable etc. Also try to strart the car in neutral , a bad neutral safety switch will prevent the car from starting also. Keep a foot on the brake when trying this.
    A quick way to test the starter for draw. turn the headlights on, and leave them on. have someone turn the key and try to start the car while you watch the lights. If they flicker or dim then the starter is drawing power. if nothing happens then there is no current draw from the starter system. If the lights remain bright and steady when the key is turned I put a test light on the small signal wire (test light clamp) on the starter, ground the probe end and have someone turn the key while you watch the light. if the light lights up , the starter circuit from the ignition is ok and starter is most likely bad. taking into account the battery cables are good and everything else is ok. This is just my method to diagnose starting issues. Also check the ignition fuses .
    Last edited by zeeman; September 17th, 2014, 06:35 PM.

Comment

go see my buddy at Discount battery in Commerce he can make a new one with GM connections, be just like stock but all new
      '91 Camaro Modded, LSx, House of Kolor Intense White, lowered, GS chrome 18" wheels, 14" Brembo CTS-V on all 4 corners, LS rear end, FP suspension components

" When in doubt...throttle out ! "
      ENVYsion Entertainment Group

Comment

Sounds like a charging system issue. Not fully understanding the stripping of battery...

Comment

I should have followed up on this earlier but the issue was a bad starter. They were also able to replace just the nut on the battery cable ends. Works great again. The tow truck guy was able to get it started in the parking lot when he did the old bang on the starter with a tire iron trick. I think it was actually from manually making the connection but either way it worked. Thanks for the replies.
          Just need to fix my headlight motor issue now.
          2000 Firebird A4 black hardtop
          intake/exhaust, fuel/ignition, pcm retune, rims/tires
          ~Phil

Comment

Working...
          X