X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not a fbody but need help with the stereo

Well guys my stock stereo acts weird, the rear speakers work when they want, the radio has never been out of the dash since new, but I would like to keep the stock stuff cause of the steering wheels controls.. any suggestions?

99 Buick Regal GS
    99 Buick Regal GS- New DD

SOLD-1983 Firebird-305-2.5 inch custom bent exhaust w/ dynomax muffler-2004r-87 TA 3.08 posi-90 Camaro brakes-91-92 Hatch-87 TA bumpers and GFX-89 TA Tailights-87 TA front fenders-16 inch GTA wheels
    SOLD-1967 Buick Skylark

Originally posted by ThreeHonks
    I like having a loud car, every time the neighbors dog barks, I just go let my car sit and idle in the driveway

Loose connections somewhere between the unit and the speakers, or possibly at the unit itself. The speakers could also be going bad as well. Only way to tell is to start investigating and looking into the condition of the wiring and speakers.

Comment

you know you can buy an adapter for the steering wheel controls right?
      2004 Impala LS (DD)
      sigpic
      1997 Firebird 3800 (current project)
      http://www.mifbody.com/vbulletin/sho...oject-FireTurd

www.hellfiremotorsports.com/garage

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
        Loose connections somewhere between the unit and the speakers, or possibly at the unit itself. The speakers could also be going bad as well. Only way to tell is to start investigating and looking into the condition of the wiring and speakers.
        nothing loose , so was going to change out the head unit, is there anything I have to do to get a new monsoon radio and plug it in, or is there a security thing I have to have the dealer shut off or turn on?

Originally posted by 04DetroitLS View Post
        you know you can buy an adapter for the steering wheel controls right?
        no, how so, and where? I just want my stereo to work and use the cool stuff the car has, you know

SOLD-1983 Firebird-305-2.5 inch custom bent exhaust w/ dynomax muffler-2004r-87 TA 3.08 posi-90 Camaro brakes-91-92 Hatch-87 TA bumpers and GFX-89 TA Tailights-87 TA front fenders-16 inch GTA wheels
        SOLD-1967 Buick Skylark

I like having a loud car, every time the neighbors dog barks, I just go let my car sit and idle in the driveway

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-ASWC-Uni.../dp/B0039H2W66

you can try that, but check he w body forums first.... ie grandprixfroums.net impalaforums.com etc
          2004 Impala LS (DD)
          sigpic
          1997 Firebird 3800 (current project)
          http://www.mifbody.com/vbulletin/sho...oject-FireTurd

www.hellfiremotorsports.com/garage

Comment

thanks for the info, will check it out..

SOLD-1967 Buick Skylark

Comment

Originally posted by 04DetroitLS View Post
              http://www.amazon.com/Metra-ASWC-Uni.../dp/B0039H2W66

you can try that, but check he w body forums first.... ie grandprixfroums.net impalaforums.com etc
              This will help wiring the unit with the steering controls and such. As far as the security thing, I am not sure on. I know some cars had that where the radio needed to be "unlocked" if thats the case just buy a working used one that is already unlocked. I believe I ran into this problem with my girls' grand prix so I put a aftermarket unit in.

Comment

thanks darren

SOLD-1967 Buick Skylark

Comment

got my new monsoon awhile back and got a great deal on it, now its time for speakers, any suggestions, not wanting to break the bank and wanna just factory replacements.. no amps or anything either..

SOLD-1967 Buick Skylark

Comment

Originally posted by Gottork View Post
                    got my new monsoon awhile back and got a great deal on it, now its time for speakers, any suggestions, not wanting to break the bank and wanna just factory replacements.. no amps or anything either..
                    audio bahn has what you need, I bought mine off ebay 5 yrs ago and they still sound good, pushing them with an after market HU.

edit: these are the newer model of what I have, just get the size you need.
                    http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDIOBAHN-AB...item19c8b6bb95
                    Last edited by Gregs_gsxr; September 30th, 2011, 06:45 PM.
                    '91 Camaro Modded, LSx, House of Kolor Intense White, lowered, GS chrome 18" wheels, 14" Brembo CTS-V on all 4 corners, LS rear end, FP suspension components

" When in doubt...throttle out ! "
                    ENVYsion Entertainment Group

Comment

FWIW that "Monsoon" is a run of the mill stereo with a label on it.
                      What makes it the "Monsoon" is the amplifier unit in the back of the vehicle, which commonly blows stock speakers as they were never really designed to handle the increased wattage, and the distortion didn't help the cause.

You can go with Stock fit speakers and an aftermarket head unit and still retain your steering wheel Controls.

PAC sells steering wheel control adapters for your vehicle. They have several models depending on the brand of head unit you pick.
                      Adapters commonly run around $40.

If both speakers are going out, it sounds like a loose connector.
                      let me know if you need the destructions on how to take your dash apart.
                      C
                      Last edited by TrickyTransAm; September 30th, 2011, 08:02 PM.

Comment

ok what should I get for rear speakers, they are just 6x9s, I was looking at a set of cerwin vegas cause the poly cone material.. but any suggestions would be awesome, ty greg

SOLD-1967 Buick Skylark

Comment

ok what should I get for rear speakers, they are just 6x9s, I was looking at a set of cerwin vegas cause the poly cone material.. but any suggestions would be awesome, ty greg
                          Did you check the contiunity of your old speakers? It seems odd both would go out at the same time.

Not sure what your budget is, but if your going to push them with only a stock stereo, pick something with an RMS value around ~30W and look closely for efficient drivers so you get the most for your money.
                          There are hundreds you can choose from really.
                          Many aftermarket speakers will already be a composite or poly cone of some sort. Very few are using a paper cone anymore, and many will accept to be amplified later if you so choose.
                          I would look for a driver that is 90db up for efficiency, and in the RMS range you need.

Kenwood 93db efficient 1W/1m http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...FC-6982ie.aspx

Pioneer 93DB http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...TS-A6983R.aspx

I can't vouch for Sony quality but...heres a 93db pair http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...S-GT6935A.aspx

MB Quarts's are always good quality..but a little lax on efficiency. 90db http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...t_FTA_169.aspx

Vega's 95DB efficient... http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...a_Vega_69.aspx

I would love to recommend Infinity Kappa speakers, but they are commonly 2 ohm which is too low for your factory radio. It may run or it may not. Running too low of a load will cause high heat and IC failure.

Your Speaker Connectors are a Metra 72-4568. This saves you from cutting your factory harness (Which many installation shops do unfortunately)

Here's a link that you can find everything to do it yourself if you so wish.
                          http://www.installer.com/cars/by_car.php?carid=609
                          Last edited by TrickyTransAm; October 2nd, 2011, 09:39 AM.

Comment

thanks tricky, I have messed with all the connections and the back speakers sometimes play but have stopped altogether.. thanks for the info..

SOLD-1967 Buick Skylark

Comment

Working...
                            X