X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry guys, been super busy lately.

The way I did it was by tapping into the CD player. You just use a jack from radio shack that disconnects the audio passthrough when you plug a device into it. I did myself a favor on mine and wired the jack and the radio with a cat5 jack, so they are both removable (should the need arise) then I have a 6ft or so cable running from the center console to the radio.

I have heard of some people having issues where when the radio is turned down or decently quiet they hear (quite faintly) the audio from the CD... I have noticed this on one or two occasions, but it was a super easy fix. I just made an MP3 cd and stick that in the head unit. The factory radio doesnt know what to do with it, lol. It shows as only having 1 track, and it plays that track forever, never skips or restarts. The beauty of it is, since the factor radio cant read it, it would normally just be silence...therefore no audio from the cd, so no chance of hearing it over the AUX input.

Its really a simple mod. I have seen a lot of people ghetto rig it. Dont be ghetto. Use solder and heatshrink tube. In theory it should last forever. I am SO glad I did it. Generally I have my Sirius radio plugged in.
    1999 Camaro - 6 liters of fury.....

Comment

Originally posted by sman View Post
      Sorry guys, been super busy lately.

The way I did it was by tapping into the CD player. You just use a jack from radio shack that disconnects the audio passthrough when you plug a device into it. I did myself a favor on mine and wired the jack and the radio with a cat5 jack, so they are both removable (should the need arise) then I have a 6ft or so cable running from the center console to the radio.

I have heard of some people having issues where when the radio is turned down or decently quiet they hear (quite faintly) the audio from the CD... I have noticed this on one or two occasions, but it was a super easy fix. I just made an MP3 cd and stick that in the head unit. The factory radio doesnt know what to do with it, lol. It shows as only having 1 track, and it plays that track forever, never skips or restarts. The beauty of it is, since the factor radio cant read it, it would normally just be silence...therefore no audio from the cd, so no chance of hearing it over the AUX input.

Its really a simple mod. I have seen a lot of people ghetto rig it. Dont be ghetto. Use solder and heatshrink tube. In theory it should last forever. I am SO glad I did it. Generally I have my Sirius radio plugged in.
      Can you link me to the jack you purchased? I really want to do this but I was not comfortable tearing the radio apart. I would be curious how you made it removable as well. I want to do the same run it into the center console. I am just trying to keep it clean and factory.

Comment

Darren, shoot me a text or pm later tonight and I'll happily look it up for you. Crazy day at work today, boss is gone all week so I am buried.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk
        1999 Camaro - 6 liters of fury.....

Comment

Working...
        X