X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW TO: Nightshade/TINT/BLACKOUT taillights

Well I haven't came around a write up on how to nightshade/tint/blackout your taillights. So if there already is one maybe this will also help someone out. Maybe this will be enough interest to make it a sticky who knows. If you have any questions please feel free to ask!

Things you will need:

A can of VHT Nightshade (local parts store, online)
    Torx screwdriver
    Your choice of clearcoat, personally I picked rattle can Dupi-Color
    Clean rag
    Green Scotch Bright pad
    Newspaper or cardboard
    Something to prop up your taillights ( I used a 2x4 )

This is a picture of the can of nightshade and clearcoat

Pics of removing the tails, there are 2 plastic wing nuts behind the carpet in your trunk.

Once you have every lens you want to tint, use a green Scotch Bright pad and scuff every part where you will spray. I doesn't really matter which direction you go in just as long as you DONT see any shiny spots.

Now the fun part! Make sure everything is well wiped with the clean rag. Grab the Nightshade and shake for about 1 min, and start spraying keep the can about 12" away from the taillight. You DONT want to spray it on too heavy or it will run this stuff is very thin! Put as many coats as you want, depending on the darkness. Let each coat sit for about 2-3 min. I like the tails real dark so here is my progress of the shades.

About 5 or 6 coats later...

Once you let the Nightshade COMPLETELY dry, use the green Scotch Bright pad and re scuff the taillights and what ever else you decided to tint.

Next is to put about 2-3 coats of clearcoat on the Nightshaded parts. Put the clear on as thick as possible with out running it, so do a couple of tests on a piece of paper so you have an idea on how thick/thin it will come out.

Just and idea on how shiny it should be-

Once dry to the touch reinstall on the car.

I am not responsible for any mess ups or damage to your car or taillights!

I Hope this helped out. After your clear has dried you can sand and buff. Once I do this I will add onto this.

Michael
    2002 Z28 Camaro A4
    1993 Z28 Camaro M6- SOLD
    1999 Z28 Camaro M6- SOLD
    2008 Ford Fusion SE - DD
    -- MCALUS MOLDED PILLAR PODS, PM ME FOR MORE INFO--
    sigpic

Looks nice...but why wouldn't u just buy light covers for the taillights? Now when you get pulled over for it you're going to have to get new taillights. Or just have to pay the ticket.
    98 Trans Am WS.6
    Cam
    Heads
    Intake
    Full exhaust
    More mods to come

Comment

last i knew tinted tail lights wernt illegal

Comment

Nice write up.. A lot of people just say ohhhhh use night shade thats what i did!... and don't get into it.. and pics are a big help.

Good job. they look nice.
        1989 Chevrolet Camaro- Currently in pieces...

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Phoenix View Post
          Looks nice...but why wouldn't u just buy light covers for the taillights? Now when you get pulled over for it you're going to have to get new taillights. Or just have to pay the ticket.
          Well people say the covers will ruin your taillights and cost them to fade and melt of some sort, and you dont have to worry about people jacking your taillight covers...Imagine you walking out to your car and seeing someone trying to take these ... LOL

As for the cops chances are you wont get a fined ticket, usually its a warning or fix-it ticket. I have only had 1 problem with cops and that was on my old LT1 Camaro... It was 2 in the morning in a small town, he just didn't have anything better to do.

Sticky worthy???
          2002 Z28 Camaro A4
          1993 Z28 Camaro M6- SOLD
          1999 Z28 Camaro M6- SOLD
          2008 Ford Fusion SE - DD
          sigpic

Comment

Tinted tailights are illegal.

Good writeup. I also recommend sanding off the part numbers or whatever is molded onto the lenses. You can also achieve the best shined doing the final polishing with a rotary buffer.

Also in response to Phoenix - you cant do this with covers:
            watermark-1.jpg
            -Joel
            1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
            1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

I have some pics I am going to post up tonight I did end up sanding and buffing them. Looks great! Just put a good coat of wax on once or twice a month and your good.
              2002 Z28 Camaro A4
              1993 Z28 Camaro M6- SOLD
              1999 Z28 Camaro M6- SOLD
              2008 Ford Fusion SE - DD
              sigpic

Comment

Another word of advice to those who want perfection:

There are seems between the different colors of lenses, and theses seams arent exactly smooth from the factory. DONT BOTHER trying to smooth them out, it doesnt work. The seam will remain there no matter how much you sand.
                -Joel
                1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
                1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

hey not to hijack your thread but I'm pretty sure I saw your car in Chelsea on Wednesday. Looks great, it was parked in a plaza a little way from 94

2011 Mustang GT
                  20" Satin Black AMRs with 305/35 & 275/35 MT Street Radials, Saleen Grille, CS Lower Valance, Roush Axleback, GT500 Spoiler, resonator delete

In Progress: Brembo 6-piston brake upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by k0261886 View Post
                    hey not to hijack your thread but I'm pretty sure I saw your car in Chelsea on Wednesday. Looks great, it was parked in a plaza a little way from 94
                    94 and Fletcher exit, yes that was me
                    2002 Z28 Camaro A4
                    1993 Z28 Camaro M6- SOLD
                    1999 Z28 Camaro M6- SOLD
                    2008 Ford Fusion SE - DD
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Phoenix View Post
                      .... Now when you get pulled over for it you're going to have to get new taillights. Or just have to pay the ticket.
                      Originally posted by kammi10 View Post
                      last i knew tinted tail lights wernt illegal
                      Heres the law you decide.

Question:
                      Is having smoked tail light/brake covers legal in Michigan? How about the smoked ones with slashes or vents in them showing a small part of the original red lens?

Answer:
                      MCL 257.686 requires a tail lamp to emit a red light plainly visible for at least 500 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

MCL 257.697 requires stop lamps to emit a red or amber light and be capable of being seen and distinguished from other lamps for a distance of 100 feet, including during normal daylight. If the cover you apply prohibits the lamp from meeting these requirements then it is unlawful.
                      Last edited by WMCC Gary; April 14th, 2008, 03:49 PM.
                      Western Michigan Camaro Club ~ President
                      1987 Camaro IROC-Z Pearl White & Black w/ Red Pearl, 355 TPI, A4, 3:42, AirRide,"GOMARO"
                      2017 Silverado Double Cab Z71 Pepperdust Metallic, 5.3, A6, 3:42, "SASYZ71"
                      2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT White, 3800
                      WMCC Website www.wmcamaro.org

"A government big enough to give you everything you want,
                      is strong enough to take everything you have." — Thomas Jefferson

"Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who
                      are willing to work and give to those who would not."
                      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Sounds like it depends on if the cop is having a bad day or not. lol

Comment

ohh interesting

Comment

they look good on your red car, dont think it would look as nice black on black. if i had a different color car, i think id try this. good write up, be sure to let us know if the popo raises any hell.
                            sigpic
                            11.84 @ 117 w 1.66 60' (previous na best)

- - 5.3/4L80e/T7875 - -
                            - Huron Speed Turbo Kit -

1998 Formula

Comment

Sure Will!!!

I guess its a your call type of thing...I dont worry about the cops. I am 19 and have been pulled over 18 times for just about every reason lol...0 Tickets knock on wood.
                              2002 Z28 Camaro A4
                              1993 Z28 Camaro M6- SOLD
                              1999 Z28 Camaro M6- SOLD
                              2008 Ford Fusion SE - DD
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X