X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 Formula Firebird

My name is Robert. I am the original owner of a 1979 Formula Firebird. I've constantly kept it maintained all these years. One thing that I need information on is how to replace the power antenna. The one i have now just runs on without stopping. The nylon cable inside has finally snapped. I have an original one that I rebuilt and is ready to be installed. It looks like I would have to remove the wheel and inner fender. Anyone have any ideas on how to do this easier? I have one picture that a photographer took of it to load, but I will take some of my own & load them when I get a chance.
    Last edited by robmauro79; March 23rd, 2018, 12:55 PM.

Welcome aboard Robert. I always liked the Formulas for their clean looks and that low profile double scooped hood.

I had to replace mine a year or two back. But I have an '88, so the specific steps probably won't help you. I did have to removed the inner wheel liner to gain access. That, and a lot of other little things. The project sort of snowballed.

Details are posted here if your curious.

Members Firebirds - My new 1988 T/A - I wasn't sure what sort of grease cutting cleaner to use on this area. I was almost out of Simple Green, so I grabbed some Fantastic, blue shop towels, q-tips and toothpicks, and started in on it. After cleaning the first small area with Fantastic, I wasn't comfortable with the
    DynoDave
    POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

Thanks Dave,
      I did look at your pictures. It's just as I suspected. It will require the inner fender liner and all attachments to be removed.

Comment

It did on mine. And I refused to cut the harness in half to take it out (some do). So that made it a lot more work, as I had to pull harness from the dash and radio to get it out as one piece. Then once I had that stuff apart, completing another half dozen other outstanding projects became the smart thing to do. So I made it worse than it had to be in one sense, but I'm glad with the way it all turned out.
        DynoDave
        POCI # 72200

Comment

I see that your name is connected to the Michigan Firebird Club. Con you tell me where it is located and how do I join? Also, I just added a few more pictures of my car that I took by myself. Please view if you are interested.

Comment

As I understand it, the actual "club" was not a part of MIFB...Brian just allowed them forum space. It was barely breathing when I got here 4 years ago, and has since expired. I just post interesting Firebird related stories in there from time to time.
            DynoDave
            POCI # 72200

Comment

Welcome to the site Robert! I apologize because our site is kind of in transition. The latest version of vBulletin5 sucks. But we're trying to make it easier to use the site.
              - Brian Meissen
              Owner, MiFBody.com
              Administrator, LTxTech.com

1994 Camaro LT1 Transplant - 357ci LT1, cammed, stalled, and driven.
              2016 Camaro LFX A8 - "Elmo"
              14th Annual Michigan FBody Meet & Greet Car Show 2018
              June 9th, 2018 - 8am to 3pm!!!
              The HUB Stadium, Auburn Hills, MI

Comment

Hi Brian,
                Thanks for the welcome. I am looking forward to checking out all the threads.

Comment

Working...
                X