X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Advance vanishes

Been dealing with a very strange gremlin as of late. The camaro when it is warm and under a heavy load, say getting on the highway seems to lose all its advance timing and pulls like a slug. And until I shut the car off it will accelerate like a slug (side streets, highways...).

I can tell right when this is about to occur because the Camaro pulls really hard then almost feels like it shifted into neutral the acceleration is stopped so suddenly. The exhaust note drastically changes to a flat note, and the rpms barely move.

My transmission guy rode along with me and told me this isn't a transmission related issue but a timing issue. On a guess I replaced the ESC Module and that did not fix the issue. Only other thing I can think of is a bad PCM.

Anyone have any ideas?

1989 Stock L98, Holley Stealth Ram intake, Hooker Headers, GMMG cat-back with cat-delete, #24 Bosch D3 Injectors

What year?
    What motor?
    What trans?
    Any mods?
    Have you done any recent work to the car before this happend?
    Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by masterfab View Post
      What year?
      What motor?
      What trans?
      Any mods?
      Have you done any recent work to the car before this happend?
      All mods are in my sig just an fyi. But its a 1986 Camaro with a 1989 TPI swap with an automatic transmission. This issue has been going on for over a year. Engine was put in 3 years ago.

1989 Stock L98, Holley Stealth Ram intake, Hooker Headers, GMMG cat-back with cat-delete, #24 Bosch D3 Injectors

Comment

Originally posted by Blue_Thunder View Post
        All mods are in my sig just an fyi. But its a 1986 Camaro with a 1989 TPI swap with an automatic transmission. This issue has been going on for over a year. Engine was put in 3 years ago.
        Sorry tapatalk dont show signatures. Im wondering if your getting knock retard. That or maybe a coil problem. May I ask when your last tune up was.

Comment

Sorry tapatalk dont show signatures. Im wondering if your getting knock retard. That or maybe a coil problem. May I ask when your last tune up was.

Well it only does this when the car is warm, don't know if that helps. As far as a tune up, spark plugs, wires hei distributor are all 3 years old.

Comment

Start with a tuneup. Its cheap. See if that fixes the problem. I will get back with you before the nights out. I had a car do something close to this. I just have to remeber what I did.

Comment

Small cap HEI (computer controlled) distributor?

My guess would be somewhere in the Knock/ESC setup. 350 knock sensor and ESC? Jet chip + 24# SVO injectors probably isn't the best setup, chip is likely set for 22# injectors. Happen to know what your BLM's are? Knock count?

I'm just north of Lowell and have all the equipment to datalog as well as flash chips

1998 Camaro Z28 - Bright Red, 6.0 TR224, 4l60e, 3.42 Eaton TrueTrac
              1989 Camaro IROC-Z Convertible - 355 big tube TPI, WC T5, 3.42 Zexel Torsen, CTS-V/C4 brakes
              1955 Bel Air 2 Door Post - 357 TPI, Muncie M20, 4 wheel disc

2006 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Daily Driver

Comment

Start with a tuneup. Its cheap. See if that fixes the problem. I will get back with you before the nights out. I had a car do something close to this. I just have to remeber what I did.

This problem is not going to be fixed with a tune up. If I had bad plugs or wires I would be running bad all the time, not to mention misfiring. The entire Dizzi is 3 years old. If any of the parts were going bad, the car would be driving rough more often then not. This issue I have is only when I really stomp on the gas. Otherwise it drives fine and runs smooth. For awhile I thought my transmission was slipping but thats not the case.

Comment

Originally posted by hoogiesngrinderz View Post
                  Small cap HEI (computer controlled) distributor?

My guess would be somewhere in the Knock/ESC setup. 350 knock sensor and ESC? Jet chip + 24# SVO injectors probably isn't the best setup, chip is likely set for 22# injectors. Happen to know what your BLM's are? Knock count?

I'm just north of Lowell and have all the equipment to datalog as well as flash chips
                  Yes the HEi is computer controlled. The Jet Chip is necessary to keep the car running. Otherwise it will revert to the stock 305 engine tune and stall at idle. The Chip is for a 87 camaro with a 350.

As far as what my blms are, no, I have no idea. Last time I had a scan tool on the car was when I had my old junk 350 in it.

Comment

I understand that the chip is necessary, but these ECM's are better at adding fuel than removing it.

Stage 1 or Stage 2 Jet chip? Happen to know what temp thermostat is in it?

1989 Camaro IROC-Z Convertible - 355 big tube TPI, WC T5, 3.42 Zexel Torsen, CTS-V/C4 brakes

Comment

I understand that the chip is necessary, but these ECM's are better at adding fuel than removing it.

Stage 1 or Stage 2 Jet chip? Happen to know what temp thermostat is in it?
                      Stage 1 chip. And a 185 thermostat currently. I will be switching to a 170 when I get a new radiator this winter.

Comment

Ok, as long as your temps aren't shooting through the roof then it shouldn't be a spark curve/engine temp related issue. Do you know what the distributor is set to with the ESC unplugged? IIRC, it should be at 6* BTDC

Comment

Ok, as long as your temps aren't shooting through the roof then it shouldn't be a spark curve/engine temp related issue. Do you know what the distributor is set to with the ESC unplugged? IIRC, it should be at 6* BTDC
                          Distributor was set to stock setting when the engine was put in.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue_Thunder View Post
                            This problem is not going to be fixed with a tune up. If I had bad plugs or wires I would be running bad all the time, not to mention misfiring. The entire Dizzi is 3 years old. If any of the parts were going bad, the car would be driving rough more often then not. This issue I have is only when I really stomp on the gas. Otherwise it drives fine and runs smooth. For awhile I thought my transmission was slipping but thats not the case.
                            That statment is not entirely true. Even though I feel it more of a knock retard issue. Cabon tracks among other things on a rotor or a cap can create some havic and wont show all the time. Even Inductive fireing from crossed plug wires can create issues. Im not great with the computers on these cars. Ill be the first to say it. But it looks like you have some good help now. Good luck with your problem.

Last edited by masterfab; September 22nd, 2013, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Check lifters and rockers may be a lobe going out, bad lifters. also check TPS .54 volts. It doesn't rev up when it acks up? Try thirdgen.org

Comment

Working...
                              X