X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 t/a alternator help!!

1979 T/A. When I test my alternator it is only putting out about 12 volts. Even when I rev the engine. I check all grounds they are good even ran my own ground from the casing to the engine block just in case. Could a bad battery make my alternator not put out enough? The alternator is a rebuilt one. Could it be faulty? Or could it be my wiring? I'm really lost at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The old alternators use to have a diode trio in a single heat sink / bridge. The failure of one of the 3 would leave you with about 12v, not the 13-14 needed. I'd have a shop or parts store test it.
    DynoDave
    POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

Figured it out. My alternator was bad. Auto parts store said it was good but that's because they don't put a load on it. I took it to an actual place that rebuilds them and they said it was bad right away. Got it rebuild and boom fixed. Even the remanufactured unit I bought from AutoZone was bad. Glade I fixed it. Never trust the auto parts stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Glad to hear it worked out.

For anyone that cares here's a good place that I've used for 20+ yrs

https://madisonpowersystems.com/

13th!!! Annual Michigan FBody Meet & Greet Car Show 2017
        June 10th, 2017 - 9am to 3pm!!!
        Bakers of Milford, Milford, MI

Classics only cost alot if you add up what you spend!

sigpic

"The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose."
        - Dale Earnhardt -

Comment

Good deal!
          DynoDave
          POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

Working...
          X