X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching to the Muncie......

Well, i was asking this question on another board and not only did it occur to me that someone here might know (I am pretty sure who will ) but if we want to promote being more technical I should be doing it here too, lol.

Alright, so, last time my car was together I had a Saginaw 4 speed in it. I snagged an M20 the next winter (since I had already broken one) and have had it ready to go ever since. I did some searching but can't seem to find out for sure so I need to ask.

Does anybody know if that will line right up in a 1980 with the original 4-speed crossmember and more importantly will the 1980 driveshaft be the right length? I'd have to double check but I think my tranny is a 67 or 68 which is why my Saginaw/TH350 yoke fits (71 and newer muncie's use a 400 yoke). Just want to make sure I am not missing anything. Also, anybody know what the correct driveshaft length should be? I seem to be missing mine. Any other input or info I might be missing is appreciated.

Thanks.

i dont know, but good choice on the switch!
    -Joel
    1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
    1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

Originally posted by JoeliusZ28 View Post
      i dont know, but good choice on the switch!
      Was a no brainer many years ago, after replacing the worn stock clutch that was slipping and putting in the centerforce dual friction and the first time out dropping the hammer from a roll I took first gear right out in the first saginaw.

Little something about the tranny, I bought it off ebay from a doctor in Detroit that met me halfway to save shipping it. He had it in a 55 chevy and was going back to an auto. Had it rebuilt, it has less that 1000 miles on it. Its and aluminum case to the saginaws' cast iron case and weighs more due to the bigger stronger gears and shafts. That always made me go wow when I pulled the cover.
      Last edited by Orange Terror; March 6th, 2008, 08:15 PM.

Comment

I'd measure my drive shaft for you tomorrow, but I have a TH350 though so it wouldn't do you any good. I'll do some looking on TAC see if I can find anything.

Well did some looking and it turns out that if it's a short tail Munice (which the th350 yoke will fit in) then the driveshaft is the same length as a TH350 driveshaft. 45 7/8" Length Center to Center.

I can measure mine tomorrow to double check on the length.
        Last edited by MrMojoRisin681; March 6th, 2008, 10:53 PM.

1978 Pontiac Firebird Formula W66
        350 Small Block Chevy Bored .030 Over (355)

GM Performance Parts Vortec Heads
        Holley 650cfm Double Pumper
        Edelbrock Performer-Plus Cam
        Edelbrock Vortec Performer RPM
        Hedman Hedders 1-5/8" Long Tubes
        2-1/2" Exhaust With "H" Pipe & Hooker Aero Chamber Mufflers
        TH350 With B&M Transpak Shift Kit & 2400rpm Stall B&M Tork Master Converter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMojoRisin681 View Post
          I'd measure my drive shaft for you tomorrow, but I have a TH350 though so it wouldn't do you any good. I'll do some looking on TAC see if I can find anything.

Well did some looking and it turns out that if it's a short tail Muncie (which the th350 yoke will fit in) then the driveshaft is the same length as a TH350 driveshaft. 45 7/8" Length Center to Center.

I can measure mine tomorrow to double check on the length.
          Cool, thanks. Good stuff.

Comment

Our '76 had the Sag or BW. We put an M22 in and everything fit fine.
            '73 Z28 388 Stroker, M22 Rockcrusher 4 speed
            WMCC Photographer and owner of Redline Photography
            You are only young once but you can be immature your whole life!!!
            sigpic

Comment

Muncie, Borg-Warner, Saginaw 4-speeds are all the same length except for the long-tail Muncies used in 1965-up Big Pontiacs. These standard length 4-speeds & bellhousing = same overall length as short tail 350 THM

Comment

i have a muncie 4 speed sitin in the garage i can measure the shaft that the clutch fits on is that the shaft your talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkIV427 View Post
                  Muncie, Borg-Warner, Saginaw 4-speeds are all the same length except for the long-tail Muncies used in 1965-up Big Pontiacs. These standard length 4-speeds & bellhousing = same overall length as short tail 350 THM
                  Good to know. I thought they were. Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by beardy2 View Post
                  i have a muncie 4 speed sitin in the garage i can measure the shaft that the clutch fits on is that the shaft your talking about.
                  No, that's the input shaft, I'm talking about the driveshaft length in relation to the length of the transmission and location of the crossmember.

Comment

ok thats why i asked so i didnt post something that made ya confused

Comment

The Muncies up through 69 are a direct bolt-in for the saginaw. In 1970 the Muncies were beefed up for the 454's torque and gained the fine-spline input shaft and the turbo-400 style output spline (larger - 32 spine). I believe the length is the same, the mounts are for sure. You can purchase a special U-joint to convert the rear yolk. Later they went to the Super T-10 which is just a hair longer and requires shortening of the drive shaft (or finding a driveshaft from a later gen II ).

Comment

Working...
                      X