Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah yeah, textbook breakover angle, haha.

And great work! Hopefully that means it'll be making it out to Woodward/to the Meet & Greet this year?

Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

That's the hope is to make it out there. I'm also hoping to get it to the Camaro Rally mid May at Tail of the Dragon. Gotta get some miles on it to make sure it's ready for a 10 hr trip down to TN/NC.

Comment

Oh, if it's able to make it down, through and back from TOAD, it'll certainly be good for the M&G!

Mine is more just under the assumption the computer-controlled Quadrajet actually behaves, so you're probably far more likely. TOAD always looks like a blast - maybe one day I'll make it out there.

Comment

Still on jack stands, went to bleed the brakes and both of the rear caliper bleeders were stripped out. New calipers showed up yesterday and installed, one is still leaking at the line so I'll have to play with that today. Fixed up some of the exhaust leaks as well as changed out the Loudmouth "muffler" with one from Magnaflow to quiet the exhaust down just a little bit. SLP Loudmouth would have been cool in my 20s, but it's a bit much to drive around now that I'm pushing 40 lol.
          I also found out the service engine soon light doesn't work. Doesn't come on at key up, and there is an active code for crank learn. Tech2 shows that MIL is ON, yet there is no MIL. So I'll probably have to pull the cluster apart and solder in a new LED.
          All in all, hoping I can get it out to drive at least around the neighborhood to see how things go (no plates yet).

Comment

The Loudmouth is just...yep...it's loud as shit. Loud and raspy.

The bulb is probably just burnt out...or removed.

And I had a similar experience with bleeders on my Cavalier...went to bleed the front brakes and the bleeder snapped right off. I bought new (well, reman) calipers for a whole $12 each (at the store, no less, not even online!) and paid the same amount for speed bleeders and put those in my "new" calipers. Those made bleeding so, so easy. I REALLY need to change the brake fluid in the Cobalt, and I'm very seriously considering changing to speed bleeders just for that same ease.

Comment

The check engine light on these is an LED soldered to the board, not a replaceable bulb. The only bulbs the cluster has is for back lights, turn signals, high beam indicator, and low coolant level lamp. All other lamps are LEDs on the board

Comment

Ahh, okay - weird that they went out...LEDs don't normally do that, but it is 22 years old, so..

Comment

That's what I thought too. Though, they may have had the LED removed too. I'll know once I get the cluster out. Not high on the priority list though. Still need to get it aligned, AC recharged and tuned.

Comment

Making some great progress!

Comment

Got it on all 4s and was able to test drive it around the neighborhood a bit. DEFINITELY needs an alignment after replacing everything up front lol. Has a bit of an issue wanting to stall out when turning at a stop, but other than that seems to run fine. I haven't gotten it up above 30 yet though so don't really know what it does. Rear brakes are leaking at the lines, even with new washers, so I'll have to play with that. The A/C lines I bought don't quite fit on to the condenser........ that's what I get for buying cheap aftermarket ones.
                      House projects have been taking up all my extra "lockdown" time lol. I'll probably jump back out there and work on it some more this week. I'm close!!
                      DynoDave likes this.

Comment

Ooh yeah, major front end replacements can have a tendency to do that. I remember when I replaced the whole front subframe on the Cavalier (the subframe itself, lower torque strut and new lower control arms) and the second I got the car above 45 it started wandering around violently because the toe-out was so extreme.

Had a similar experience when I redid literally everything on the front of the Camaro - upper and lower control arms, springs and more importantly: all steering linkage. It was the night before the M&G in 2018 that my brother and I went out to test drive it and it was absolutely terrifying. Toe out combined with a horrifically worn rag joint - going straight was practically impossible. Needless to say: I took the Cobalt that year.

Sounds like you only have a few minor things to take care of, and you should be in good shape!

Comment

Had to realign the exhaust since it drags on the driveway a bit, might have to get another hanger welded in, we'll see. I took it for a drive Saturday, to the gas station and everything felt pretty good. The stalling issue is gone and it seems to run better. Maybe old gas since it did sit for a while. Going to take it in for an alignment this morning and see if they can tuck the exhaust up under any better so I can get in and out of the garage. I also did the "heater hose mod" to the rear springs to get the car to sit a bit more level in the rear.
                          Still need to get to the A/C, but just don't feel like fighting with the compressor and lines right now lol. I'll have to see if any shops are doing tuning and what their schedules are looking like. I really want to see what this engine can do, but being a 6.0L now and tuned as a 5.7, I know it will be a bit lean so I've held back. It doesn't take much to kick the back end out though. Gives you that little kid grin as it happens

Comment

Got it aligned, nice and straight down the road now. Also had the exhaust tucked up a bit further under the car. Took them 10 minutes, would have taken me who knows how long on my back under the car. I miss having access to a hoist!!
                            DynoDave likes this.

Comment

Who did your alignment?
                              DynoDave
                              POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

AC Tire in Waterford on Dixie Highway

Comment

Working...
                                X