X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drdave88 View Post
    That's a bummer, looks like a pretty good turn out from the pics I saw though.
    Are there pictures posted somewhere?

DynoDave
    POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

Angie took a good number of them, but they are on Facebook.
      Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

Finally got it out and about on the road Friday night. Lighting is causing me issues. Pass headlight motor died, then the left/right brake lights went out and the turn signals don't flash. I have to get a motor yet, and replaced the turn signal switch for the brake lights yesterday. GM thought it would be smart to run the brake circuit through the turn signal switch. Sounds like I need to flasher units, the originals are thermal and I guess there are electronic replacements? Waiting on a sway bar bracket to get shipped to me so I can get that installed, hopefully this week. Also found it needs a passenger side wheel bearing, nothing terrible yet, just hear a bit of noise out of it when loading that side down. It runs and shifts quite well though considering how long it sat before I bought it and once I owned it.
        I also need to get ahold of some speakers, the rear hatch only sound isn't exactly high quality lol. But I can at least back off on the miles I was racking up on my lease for now. That was the main reason for rushing this onto the road. I'm thinking a whole steering/suspension overhaul may be the winter project. Nothing is terrible or broken (aside from the wheel bearing), but nothing is really great either. It's all original aside from what I've replaced.

Comment

That doesn't surprise me - GM ran the cruise control through the CHMSL circuit on the Cobalt. People who switch to LEDs incorrectly in that brake light suddenly no longer have active cruise control.

And on our Cruze, the blind-spot monitors (you know, mounted in the rear fascia) on both sides corroded and shorted one (one internally and one at the connector). One of them caused the MyLink screen fuse to blow (radio still worked, and you could control it just fine), and the other would cause the cluster to turn off and back on constantly, resetting the HVAC settings, etc. It was wonderful.
          Last edited by MP81; June 25th, 2018, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MP81 View Post
            That doesn't surprise me - GM ran the cruise control through the CHMSL circuit on the Cobalt. People who switch to LEDs incorrectly in that brake light suddenly no longer have active cruise control.

And on our Cruze, the blind-spot monitors (you know, mounted in the rear fascia) on both sides corroded and shorted one (one internally and one at the connector). One of them caused the MyLink screen fuse to blow (radio still worked, and you could control it just fine), and the other would cause the cluster to turn off and back on constantly, resetting the HVAC settings, etc. It was wonderful.
            Well doesn't that just sound.......... lovely lol.

Comment

It was great. Only reason the dealer was able to diagnose it as quickly as they did is because I mentioned that the screen fuse would blow. They tracked the wiring back to the rear and it all made sense. They've been disconnected and tied up for over a year now. No blind-spot monitors, but also we have a cluster and radio screen that work.

Comment

Turn signals now work, just swapped the flasher unit with the hazards. So I'll have to pick one of those up later. I think the BCM has a fairly common issue I've read about where the radio and windows will randomly not work, then just work again. This is due to some solder connections on the board coming loose. Resolder them and everything should be A-OK. Good thing I only paid $500 for this car and knew it would be a project going into it lol. I've got my work cut out. But no rust and no major body damage, so it pretty much makes it all worth it.

Comment

Got the BCM resoldered so my windows and radio work all the time now. Finally got my headlight issue figured out. I had to replace the headlight control module so now both flip up. Now it looks like I need to replace the throttle actuator control module. It will randomly kick on the "Reduced Eng Pwr" light which is not fun to try and drive around. If I carry a code reader with me, clear codes and try again it usually is ok lol. Got the wiper linkage all back together and working properly now, so I don't fear rain.
                  I got the sway bar bracket and should be getting the whole in the frame welded up for that this weekend as well as replacing a wheel bearing that is growling.
                  I got spoiled by driving vehicles under warranty for the last couple of years, and newer vehicles for the few years before that. I had forgotten the struggles of driving old cars again lol. Oh well, as long as I don't need to get towed, I'll be fine.

Comment

Congrats...you got a LOT accomplished.
                    DynoDave
                    POCI # 72200

Comment

Got the hole in the frame patched and welded up over the weekend. Attached a nut to the back side of the piece we welded in the frame so I could get the sway bar bracket bolted back on. I was starting to have issues with the ignition randomly not doing anything in the crank position. I dropped the panel by the pedals and the issue went away, along with the reduced power issue. Must have had some wires pushing and causing both issues because neither have shown up since I dropped that, when they were almost always acting on start up.

Comment

Ugh...I hate intermittent electrical issues.
                        DynoDave
                        POCI # 72200

Comment

I know, I was ready to throw in an ignition cylinder figuring the contacts in there had worn out. Glad I didn't rip apart the column again lol. Aside from a tie rod now missing a boot (was there 2 weeks ago lol) I think I'm good to go as a daily driver now. I'm starting to kick around ideas for what the winter project is going to be. Unless I find the right donor car, it'll stay a V6 for now so I'm thinking a complete rear suspension/brake rebuild and rebuild as much as I can that is universal between V6 and V8 on the front. If I find a good deal on a clean dash, maybe ripping the old cracked one out is an option too. May have to start a Go Fund Me page lol.

Comment

Still chasing this reduced engine power issue. According to GMs diagnostics, it was a bad TAC module. So I replaced it and still have the same issue. It could be, since it was a used part, that it's also bad, but considering it worked when it came off, I'm thinking I have something else going on. So far, as long as I have a scan tool in the car to clear codes, I can clear it and the car will start. It doesn't always clear on the first or second try though. I'm rolling the dice that it won't leave me stranded at work lol.
                            Other than that, I tossed in a new wheel bearing, tie rod, brake caliper (because the caliper bolt broke off when trying to get to the wheel bearing) and power steering pressure hose. No more noises or leaks at this time.

Comment

Been a bit since I updated, haven't had anything to update lol. I picked up another parts car today, I'm planning on getting mine ready for paint next year, and part of that includes a new roof panel. I also want to get rid of the W68 ground effects package so I'm going to venture into removing the roof panel. This being a hard top car, it looks like a huge PITA. If anyone is looking for some charcoal gray interior pieces let me know. I'll also be posting it in the for sale section.

Comment

Working...
                              X