X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel options...new vs re-"chrome"

I have the chrome SLP 10 spokes on my '00 Camaro. Overall, I like these wheels. They are starting to pit and flake, however, and I need new tires in the spring. I am thinking I'd like to take care of the wheels and tires at the same time. The car is a fair weather car - never sees salt/snow, and hardly sees rain (didn't see any rain in 2014). I'd like to stick to 17's given the crappy MI roads and to keep ride comfort.

So, my options are:

1) Get my existing wheels refinished. I assume this will be pricey. Anyone have an idea on cost and who can do it? I plan to take it by Detroit Wheel, but are there any other vendors?

2) Pick up a set of aftermarket wheels. Either some 10-spoke replicas or chrome C6 "OE wheels". My concern is that these are most likely cheaply plated as well. I am concerned as to how well they'd hold up.

3) Pick up a set of anthracite TTM's. This is the option I am most leaning towards right now.

What would you do? For reference, here's my car:

Here are the C6 wheels I am considering:

Here are 17" anthracite TTMs:
    2000 SS Convertible #1414 - Light Pewter 6 Speed

I like Option 3
    Western Michigan Camaro Club ~ President
    1987 Camaro IROC-Z Pearl White & Black w/ Red Pearl, 355 TPI, A4, 3:42, AirRide,"GOMARO"
    2017 Silverado Double Cab Z71 Pepperdust Metallic, 5.3, A6, 3:42, "SASYZ71"
    2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT White, 3800
    WMCC Website www.wmcamaro.org

"A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have." — Thomas Jefferson

"Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who
    are willing to work and give to those who would not."
    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

How bad are your 10 spokes? Sell them to me? lol. Ive been looking for a set, just cant afford new.
      1999 Camaro - 6 liters of fury.....

Comment

If I get new wheels, I plan to just stash the 10 spokes away. I'm pretty anal about being able to swap the car back to factory. I pretty much can get it back to how it was from the showroom other than the previous owner yanking out the entire Monsoon system.

Comment

rechroming wheels is not cheap.
          When in doubt, Whip it out !

Comment

there's a guy on LS1tech with a set of C6 Z06 wheels with new front tires and MT drag radials. wheels are newer aftermarket and tires same. wants $900. lives in PA but would meet in Toledo. been thinking real hard about them but if you're interested, feel free
            When in doubt, Whip it out !

Comment

Originally posted by farmington View Post
              there's a guy on LS1tech with a set of C6 Z06 wheels with new front tires and MT drag radials. wheels are newer aftermarket and tires same. wants $900. lives in PA but would meet in Toledo. been thinking real hard about them but if you're interested, feel free
              Thanks for the head's up - I won't be pulling the trigger on these until the spring...completely not in the budget right now, and the car's tucked away for the winter.

My current BFG's have a May 2005 manufacture date. They are starting to dry rot - have plenty of tread left. I also found this when I went to tuck it away for a long winter's sleep. Fate's telling me to get a new set of rubber before I wad the car (or myself) up when it blows out while I am being an idiot:
              Tire2.jpg

Comment

option 3 or keep the 10 spokes please dont get c6 wheels

Comment

Powdercoat the 10's or option 3

Comment

http://www.calchrome.com/rechroming....#rechromeprice

Not cheap.

I'd do the torque thrusts

Comment

Option 3.....C6 wheels are over-played.
                      West Michigan Pontiac Club

"A Camaro looks like it can kick your a**, a Trans Am is coming over to do it"

Comment

If you have never seen a chromed piece from a reputable shop, look into it. I was blown away by the bumpers my friend got back for his Buick...not cheap though.

Or if you want to be a little different, a nickel plating might look good with pewter.

1998 Camaro Z28 - Bright Red, 6.0 TR224, 4l60e, 3.42 Eaton TrueTrac
                        1989 Camaro IROC-Z Convertible - 355 big tube TPI, WC T5, 3.42 Zexel Torsen, CTS-V/C4 brakes
                        1955 Bel Air 2 Door Post - 357 TPI, Muncie M20, 4 wheel disc

2006 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Daily Driver

Comment

Originally posted by Fish-man View Post
                          http://www.calchrome.com/rechroming....#rechromeprice

Not cheap.

I'd do the torque thrusts
                          Ouch!

Originally posted by 92conv View Post
                          Option 3.....C6 wheels are over-played.
                          I somewhat agree, however, I don't see too many with that 5-spoke design (maybe for a reason? ) Anyway, I love the look of them on the C6's, but feeling a little iffy on the F-Body.

Originally posted by hoogiesngrinderz View Post
                          If you have never seen a chromed piece from a reputable shop, look into it. I was blown away by the bumpers my friend got back for his Buick...not cheap though.

Or if you want to be a little different, a nickel plating might look good with pewter.
                          I'll have to look that up - not hip on what nickel plating would look like.

Thanks for the input, guys - has anyone seen the TTM in Anthracite on a pewter car? Did it really look good? I was concerned that the Anthracite seems to be really close to the Pewter color, but it's not identical, so it may look like an attempt at a color match that went wrong.

Comment

Take the OE wheels off and clean them up to your satisfaction and store them until you get a scratch to go back to factory. I'll agree with Darren.. C6 wheels on Camaro's is kind of played out. I'm, personally, not a fan of the Torq Thrust style wheels on a modern looking car.

I've always been a fan of the TSW Cadwell. You'd have to run an adaptor, but what's the difference. You'd have to run a spacer with the C6 wheels.
                            http://www.tsw.com/alloy_wheels_cadwell.php

The TSW Rockingham was going to be my plan B if my current wheels wouldn't fit.
                            http://www.tsw.com/alloy_wheels_rockingham.php

Comment

There is a member on here, Fred, I think his user name is [MENTION=4484]MONGO[/MENTION], that refinishes wheels he might be a good contact for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X