Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firebird/Trans Am Chrome Vent Ring Install How To

Firebird/Trans Am Chrome Vent Ring Install How To

First and foremost I’d like to mention that the two outer vents are SLIGHTLY bigger than the 3 in the center. So whatever you do, DON’T get these mixed up. They wont fit in or slide right when reinstalling. Id also recommend to do this install on a warmer day, my plastic pieces were brittle in my frozen car.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
    Vent Rings
    Very Small Flathead Screwdriver or Picks
    A “hook” shaped screwdriver tool
    Dremel Tool or Sandpaper
    JB Weld or glue of choice

HOW TO REMOVE THE VENTS

Here are some pics of the clips and how to get to them...Once you DO one you will see how it works and it will be easy.

Use a pair of pics or a flat head screwdriver and pop the center section out. Do it where the "slider" thing is. I found it easiest to just stick the flathead in aiming downward, and then move the screwdriver down to release the front cover.

After the front cover is removed GENTLY remove the vent blades, upon careful viewing you will see one side is a touch bigger than the other. Try and gently pry out the smaller side. Pull the blades out as one entire piece. Be VERY careful during this, with my car still half frozen in the winter I broke two blades by rushing. I found “hooks” to work pretty good for releasing the blades as well.

See in this picture the two round holes...thats what the vent pops into. But you still have to pull the back piece out and reassemble it. All you do is pull up this tab and pull it out:

As for what to sand/dremel, it will be pretty obvious, just remove enough so that the ring lays flat on the cover. I used JB Weld to glue the rings to my vents but I can imagine almost anything would work. When you are completely finished just reassemble the ENTIRE vent, blades, outer shell, and that part that clicks in/slides. Reinstalling in the car is a breeze, just click them into the housings and admire your work! If you do it right it should look like these…

*NOTE* These pictures are from 97ramsst on LS1tech.com. New pictures from my car will be provided when the car comes out for the spring.
    -Derek-
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am Ram Air- Lots of Boltons..

That looks great, Derek! Thanks for posting the tutorial!!!
    - Brian Meissen
    Owner, MiFBody.com
    Administrator, LTxTech.com

1994 Camaro LT1 Transplant - 357ci LT1, cammed, stalled, and driven.
    2022 Camaro LT1 - "Cherry Bomb 2"
    Michigan FBody Meet & Greet Car Show 2022
    June 4th, 2022 - 9am to 3pm!!!
    The HUB Stadium, Auburn Hills, MI

Comment

hey ,yeah this was a reason to register aswell, apart from that this is a great forum!
      Well this write up surely will help people to install the rings,thanks man great work!

Comment

Working...
      X