Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to tint your own windows site

http://www.tintdude.com/

Learn how to tint your own car or others with this sites helpful instructions. Also a forum to talk to other tinters.
    ------------------------------------------
    2004 GMC Envoy - Tuned, Airraid Intake, rest stock
    2005 Malibu - Stock, anyone have a ecotec factory gm supercharger for me? lol

5th gen Camaro V6 Forums
    http://www.bowtiev6.com

I wish I would've seen that site when I had to tint the back window on my 94 camaro!
    Nick H.
    Current MIFC Vice President

sigpic

Comment

good link! I might try that over break too. Having no tint on my side windows is starting to get on my nerves.
      -Joel
      1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
      1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

that is a verry nice site!!!

please excuse my spelling... i went to a cathlic school.
        Originally posted by 02hawk796
        3.4 Camaro > < 4.6 Stang

Comment

Originally posted by JoeliusZ28
          good link! I might try that over break too. Having no tint on my side windows is starting to get on my nerves.
          the only thing is if you do it, and you half to take it off due to cops, after you take it off you will feel like your driving your car naked.... lol

3.4 Camaro > < 4.6 Stang

Comment

ive never driven a car with tinted windows and it feels like im driving naked.
            -Joel

Comment

Originally posted by JoeliusZ28
              ive never driven a car with tinted windows and it feels like im driving naked.
              I feel the same way, but I had 25% on the front windows for a couple of weeks, and my parents made me take it off because the cops out here are pricks. I'm gonna put it back on soon, I feel so naked when I'm driving without it. . . . . TINT PARTY!

Anybody know how to strip tint off of the rear window of a 4th gen without damaging the defroster grid? The tint that's on there now was done very poorly, and there are lines and bubbles and scratches in it everywhere. I need to have it redone. Will a tint shop remove the old tint if I pay to have them reapply new tint?
              Nick H.
              Current MIFC Vice President

sigpic

Comment

Here's my 2 cents on "do it yourself tint jobs" they always look like crap and are bubble, jagged cut lines, and cheap purple looking tint from autozone....not to mension....autozone does not carry 36 inch rolls of film to do the back window of most cars in one piece. therefor "3 piece windows" are very common and add room for error. both my windshield and decklid glass are done in 1 piece tint!...i actually had to order a 40 or 45 inch roll of tint just to do my windshield.

To remove tint from side windows. peel the film off and remove the glue with lots of glass cleaner and scrape it off with a razor blade. up and down directions only. left and right may scratch glass from the curve in the window.

To remove tint from a rear window (with defrost lines) you can't use a razor blade. it'll take off you defroster lines. you have to first peel off the tint and then use a "tint remover" solution...something along the lines of adhesive remover and/or "goo-gone"...then let it soak for a little bit until it softens up and use a "scotch brite" pad or something along those lines to scuff up the glue. i then use a squeegy to "squeeg" off the glue. then repeat numerous times until all glue is off....

we remove other tint at my work, but it's usually a good couple of $$ because that purple tint stuff never peels off in one piece. it always comes off in little bits and pieces like wallpaper. my windows are "professionally" done. and not only is it flawless. it has a lifetime warranty against any i mean ANY defects. even if there's a spec or two of dirt that bothers you!!!
                Attached Files
                1998 Camaro SS Bullseye Turbo
                2002 F-250 7.3 Leveled on 20s with 35's
                2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary
                http://www.mifbody.com/vbulletin/sho...-Update/page11

Comment

Originally posted by SS4Matt
                  they always look like crap and are bubble, jagged cut lines, and cheap purple looking tint from autozone....
                  haha we have a couple cars around here like that... purple tint with half dollar size bubbles in it HAHAHA

3.4 Camaro > < 4.6 Stang

Comment

is there any place you can buy quality tint off the shelf? I was able to do a half-way decent job on 3 windows in my old truck---right before my buddy came along and totalled the f*** out of it
                    -Joel

Comment

Originally posted by SS4Matt
                      Here's my 2 cents on "do it yourself tint jobs" they always look like crap and are bubble, jagged cut lines, and cheap purple looking tint from autozone....not to mension....autozone does not carry 36 inch rolls of film to do the back window of most cars in one piece. therefor "3 piece windows" are very common and add room for error. both my windshield and decklid glass are done in 1 piece tint!...i actually had to order a 40 or 45 inch roll of tint just to do my windshield.

To remove tint from side windows. peel the film off and remove the glue with lots of glass cleaner and scrape it off with a razor blade. up and down directions only. left and right may scratch glass from the curve in the window.

To remove tint from a rear window (with defrost lines) you can't use a razor blade. it'll take off you defroster lines. you have to first peel off the tint and then use a "tint remover" solution...something along the lines of adhesive remover and/or "goo-gone"...then let it soak for a little bit until it softens up and use a "scotch brite" pad or something along those lines to scuff up the glue. i then use a squeegy to "squeeg" off the glue. then repeat numerous times until all glue is off....

we remove other tint at my work, but it's usually a good couple of $$ because that purple tint stuff never peels off in one piece. it always comes off in little bits and pieces like wallpaper. my windows are "professionally" done. and not only is it flawless. it has a lifetime warranty against any i mean ANY defects. even if there's a spec or two of dirt that bothers you!!!
                      Ok, first, how do you get away with having the front window done? Second, I won't be self tinting, I tried it, I don't have the patience. Where are some good places to go and get it done?

Comment

I'll have a pro do mine. It seems like it would last longer and look a lot better!

Comment

I have a convertible so obviously there is not a huge back window to tint so I am mainly focusing on the side windows. I want them tinted but I don't need limo tints either. what would be a good % to put on without getting lots of attraction from cops?

Comment

I have 15% on my sides and 10% on the back and I've never been pulled over for it.

And now that I've posted this I will get pulled over tomorrow.
                            sigpic
                            99 Camaro Z28 A4

Comment

lol, thanks most cops around here don't really care too much but still. One day before this winter I might go get them put on

Comment

Working...
                              X