Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Project] Jeremy's 77 T/A Project

Hey All,

So over the weekend I picked up another project, this one is going to be a bit more of a long term project, more about enjoying the build and doing what I want to it than trying to get it road worth to dive asap. I don't expect this car to be road worthy anytime soon, so I will update the project as I go along. I don't have full details on the car yet because I have yet to really dig into the vin number and get a PHS report on the car. But I will tell you what I know so far (which isn't much)

The car was previously owned by my brother's father-in-law, he has owned the car for 25+ years, it has sat in his garage for the last 20. When parked there were no mechanical issues, he parked it because this was his DD and couldn't afford to drive it anymore, so he bought a new car and this one sat. It is has the pontiac 400 with the auto trans (turbo 350?), no t-tops, but from what I am told has an upgraded rear end with either a 3.7x:1 or 4.1x:1 posi rear end, won't really know until it is ripped open, looks to be a 10 bolt, assuming its the 8.5" ring gear?

looking all over the car it looks to be pretty solid, underbody appears to only have surface rust, didn't see anything that looked too concerning, but won't know for sure until I can get it in the air and really inspect. The body also looks to be pretty solid, but there are a few spots that will for sure need patched, looks like sometime in the past body filler was used to fix a couple spots, won't know for sure until I can get paint off the car, but really I was surprised that there weren't big rust holes through the body all over the place. keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way.

As of now the plan for the car is to get it up in the air, and start stripping it down to a shell, fixing any rust/body issues, get it painted, and start putting back together one piece at a time, upgrading and fixing along the way, I know this will be a LONG expensive project, but I think it will be a lot of fun, and it will be something I can work on with my daughter when she gets older.

Car has come with a lot of extra parts that can be sold to help fund the project, extra trim pieces, spare tail lights, etc. I can't wait to get started on this thing.

Basic Plans for the Car:
    - Body fixed up, repainted
    - Upgraded Suspension
    - Beefed up engine
    - Manual Transmission swap
    - New carpet, seat covers/upholstered, fix imperfections

main goal for the car, get it looking good, doesn't need to be show quality, car will be a driver, not a show car. get it reliable, and get it to a point of being fun to drive. This won't be a race car, mostly a weekend cruiser, so things will be upgraded as needed, but not going overboard on performance stuff.

I'll get more photos, details, etc as soon as I can

side note: I am keeping the 84

IMG_20161105_141736.jpgIMG_20161105_141749.jpgIMG_20161105_151139.jpg
    Attached Files
    "Project Shadowfax" <- Clicky Clicky

1984 Pontiac Trans Am (15th Anniversary Edition)
    L69 (High Output 5.0) / 700r4 Auto Trans

Looks like a real solid foundation for a great project!

Glad to hear you're keeping the '84 as well!
    Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

Saw it on facebook, awesome ill be following
      -Joel
      1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
      1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

Also saw it on facebook, awesome and congrats. I am glad your keeping the thirdgen as well.

Has this car been started in the last 20 years? Or been tried to start?

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
          Also saw it on facebook, awesome and congrats. I am glad your keeping the thirdgen as well.

Has this car been started in the last 20 years? Or been tried to start?
          sounds like he did that early on when he first parked it, but over the years it became less and less a priority, it hasn't been started in a LONG time, I'm basically just hoping the engine will be ok as a rebuildable core. I made a deal with a machine shop to do an engine rebuild, was originally going to have that done on a 350 I bought for the 84, but had them hold off in hopes to rebuild this engine instead.

I'll take some engine bay pics, everything has a nice coat of surface rust on it haha, not much would be reusable (alt,a/c compressor, power steering pump, etc)

Comment

Congrats, I was wondering whatever happened with this situation over the weekend.

13th!!! Annual Michigan FBody Meet & Greet Car Show 2017
            June 10th, 2017 - 9am to 3pm!!!
            Bakers of Milford, Milford, MI

Classics only cost alot if you add up what you spend!

sigpic

"The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose."
            - Dale Earnhardt -

Comment

IMG_20161107_194530.jpgIMG_20161107_194818.jpgIMG_20161107_194826.jpgIMG_20161107_195709.jpgIMG_20161107_195743.jpgIMG_20161107_195753.jpgIMG_20161107_200541.jpgIMG_20161107_200604.jpgIMG_20161107_200625.jpg

Comment

A bit crusty underhood, but looks pretty solid overall - you get to do a lot of disassembly and cleaning - but that's half the fun, right?

The trunk floor looks like a bit more than surface rust - but it doesn't appear to have any holes. I think some POR-15 and you'll be good to go - that's how @s.reef and I took care of the similar conditions on his Monte's floor pan. Does the lid stay open on its own, or do you need to hold it?

The interior looks obviously dirty, but also appears to be complete, which is great. Enjoy getting those rear seat bottoms out!
                Last edited by MP81; November 8th, 2016, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MP81 View Post
                  A bit crusty underhood, but looks pretty solid overall - you get to do a lot of disassembly and cleaning - but that's half the fun, right?

The trunk floor looks like a bit more than surface rust - but it doesn't appear to have any holes. I think some POR-15 and you'll be good to go - that's how @s.reef and I took care of the similar conditions on his Monte's floor pan. Does the lid stay open on its own, or do you need to hold it?

The interior looks obviously dirty, but also appears to be complete, which is great. Enjoy getting those rear seat bottoms out! [emoji38]
                  Yea when I originally looked in the trunk it didn't seem to look that bad, but there was a rug in there and when I pulled it, that's what it looked like on the one side.. thinking the rug got wet and just sat there, if you look you can see there is no weather stripping around the trunk lid...

The lid stays up by itself, there is one bad spot on the body I couldn't get a pic of, its on the rear passenger quarter panel. But really for the most part this car looks to be pretty solid

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jdseibe View Post
                    Yea when I originally looked in the trunk it didn't seem to look that bad, but there was a rug in there and when I pulled it, that's what it looked like on the one side.. thinking the rug got wet and just sat there, if you look you can see there is no weather stripping around the trunk lid...

The lid stays up by itself, there is one bad spot on the body I couldn't get a pic of, its on the rear passenger quarter panel. But really for the most part this car looks to be pretty solid
                    Yep - that'll certainly do it. I'm not looking forward to replacing the trunk, door and t-top weatherstripping next spring. Already did the T-top weatherstripping on my '86, and that was no fun, since it's all adhesive.

And that's good - means your torque rods are still good. Those, I've heard, are absolutely the devil to replace...and can be super sketchy while doing so. You're safer to remove the rear window when doing it, lest the rod slip while you're prying it into place and breaking that expansive ass piece of glass. Mine are bad, and I really have no intention of trying to replace them.

Comment

Originally posted by MP81 View Post
                      Yep - that'll certainly do it. I'm not looking forward to replacing the trunk, door and t-top weatherstripping next spring. Already did the T-top weatherstripping on my '86, and that was no fun, since it's all adhesive.

And that's good - means your torque rods are still good. Those, I've heard, are absolutely the devil to replace...and can be super sketchy while doing so. You're safer to remove the rear window when doing it, lest the rod slip while you're prying it into place and breaking that expansive ass piece of glass. Mine are bad, and I really have no intention of trying to replace them.
                      luckily I have an extra rear window that came with the car haha!

Comment

I haven't done anything to the car yet, but I decided to go out and just look through some of the extra stuff that comes with the car, looks to be a lot of good stuff there, I haven't taken inventory of everything yet, have been pretty sick the last couple of weeks, but i did snap a few pics. and took mental notes of stuff, I should probably be able to sell some of this stuff to put into the project.

Extra Parts:
                        - Misc Interior Pieces (trim, seatbelts, etc)
                        - Gauge cluster and trim panel
                        - Exterior chrome window trim
                        - Extra tail light (just 1)
                        - Extra trunk spoiler piece
                        - Extra steering column
                        - Extra wiring harness
                        - Extra Q-Jet
                        - Manual transmission shift linkages
                        - Extra rear window
                        - Extra sway bar
                        - plus a bunch more I haven't even gotten to yet, couple more small boxes

IMG_20161115_093839.jpgIMG_20161115_094021.jpgIMG_20161115_093947.jpg

Comment

Gotta love extra shit!

Comment

word of advice - don't sell anything off until your project is complete

I did when redoing mine and wound up regretting it for sure
                            Last edited by TSTONE; November 17th, 2016, 01:36 PM.

13th!!! Annual Michigan FBody Meet & Greet Car Show 2017
                            June 10th, 2017 - 9am to 3pm!!!
                            Bakers of Milford, Milford, MI

Classics only cost alot if you add up what you spend!

sigpic

"The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose."
                            - Dale Earnhardt -

Comment

decided to decode the vin number..

Vin is 2W37Z7N130042 which translates to..

2 - Pontiac
                              W - Trans Am (1975-1979)
                              87 - 2 door coupe
                              Z - 400 c.i.d, 4-bbl V8 (1976 - 79)
                              7 - 1977
                              N - Norwood Plant
                              130042 - Sequence Number

Which is completely what I expected, so thats good!

Comment

Working...
                              X