Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duplicolor Tire Coat

130609-IMG_20130609_133936.jpg

Duplicolor's Tire Coat product is literally a rubberized "clear coat" spray paint to spray onto your tires. Because it's a spray paint, it's supposed to "last 5x longer."

I gave it an honest try yesterday and today. It says that you have to wash the tires thoroughly before applying so that they're nice and clean - so I washed the tires last night. I got a little impatient and the tires were still a little damp around the treads, but I went ahead and tried spraying it onto the rear driver's side tire anyway. It was really runny and didn't apply well - it instantly turned brown. I was pissed with how it looked so I stopped for the night to let the tires dry entirely before trying again.

Today I went back outside to play with it some more and applied some to just the driver's side front tire to see how it'd come out. That tire came out a lot better, so I decided to do the rest of the tires. When I finished, I figured "Well - what the hell, I'll try the 1st tire again and see if the brown goes away." Sure enough - it did!

Application is pretty straight forward - you spray it on just like spray paint. Getting it to look consistent and smooth is a little tricky, but it wasn't that bad. You cannot wipe the tires off - you can't touch it until it's dry.

So far its given just the right amount of shine - the tires look nice and wet even though the paint is dry. The real test will be to see how long it lasts and whether it turns yellow or brown again.

Here's the pictures:
    130609-IMG_20130609_134036.jpg
    130609-IMG_20130609_134021.jpg
    130609-IMG_20130609_134044.jpg
    130609-IMG_20130609_134059.jpg
    130609-IMG_20130609_134050.jpg
    130609-IMG_20130609_134013.jpg
    130609-IMG_20130609_134000.jpg
    - Brian Meissen
    Owner, MiFBody.com
    Administrator, LTxTech.com

1994 Camaro LT1 Transplant - 357ci LT1, cammed, stalled, and driven.
    2022 Camaro LT1 - "Cherry Bomb 2"
    Michigan FBody Meet & Greet Car Show 2022
    June 4th, 2022 - 9am to 3pm!!!
    The HUB Stadium, Auburn Hills, MI

Nice review Brian! Was it difficult to remove any overspray from the wheels?
    sigpic

Facebook | Website

Comment

Originally posted by Matt@Vivid View Post
      Nice review Brian! Was it difficult to remove any overspray from the wheels?
      When I started spraying last night and it was really runny, I started wiping down the silver vanity ring and it was really tacky -- the bottle says to use rubbing alcohol to remove overspray. Today when I sprayed, I didn't do anything to clean off any overspray. I didn't notice any getting on the body, and with the silver vanity ring it wasn't really obvious since it's basically just clear coat. With polished, chrome, or rims you actually care about I'd imagine it'd be a pain to deal with the overspray. But it's just like paint - just have to control how close or far you're spraying from and do light coats so you can control where the spray really is going.
      - Brian Meissen
      Owner, MiFBody.com

Comment

I'm curious how long it will hold up so keep us updated. I don't like using tire shine in spray cans for the overspray you mentioned above; it will fling all up and down your doors when you get the car up to speed. however if you use these it may solve the problem. Just spray the can right onto the swipe.

Last edited by 00firebird; June 9th, 2013, 06:22 PM.
        2000 Firebird A4 black hardtop
        intake/exhaust, fuel/ignition, pcm retune, rims/tires
        ~Phil

Comment

I don't think that would work at all to be honest. This is literally a rubber paint when it sprays out. It's not watery like a normal spray product would be. Think of this as a clear plasti-dip that doesn't peel off easily.
          - Brian Meissen
          Owner, MiFBody.com

Comment

Did you get any splatter on the car after driving?
            sigpic

355 LT1 M6. 232/240 LE cam. 21* Trick Flow heads. Fully ported intake. 58mm TPIS tb. 42# SVO Injectors. LS7 Lifters. Moser 9" TrueTrac w/ 4.22 gears. True Duals. UMI Suspension. LS1 brake swap. Dr. Phil tuned 400ish rwhp. Money Pit.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanwarby01 View Post
              Did you get any splatter on the car after driving?
              No - it's literally paint so there's nothing to splatter off after driving. I'll try to remember to snap some pictures when I'm walking up to the car today. Drove through the rain on the way to work and when I pulled in the tires still looked mint.
              - Brian Meissen
              Owner, MiFBody.com

Comment

Here's pictures after Week #1 - all I did was drive it through a touchless car wash. Keep in mind, this car is a daily driver... I've put over 500 miles on the car since June 9th.

130615-IMG_20130615_085218.jpg
                130615-IMG_20130615_085257.jpg
                - Brian Meissen
                Owner, MiFBody.com

Comment

And here's pictures from today -- I haven't washed the car since June 15th before the dyno day. It's now been 2 full weeks since applying, and as I said in my last post -- over 500 miles. No tire shine gel or spray would last this long - the results are simply amazing IMHO.

130623-IMG_20130623_120945.jpg
                  130623-IMG_20130623_120936.jpg
                  130623-IMG_20130623_120930.jpg
                  130623-IMG_20130623_120916.jpg
                  130623-IMG_20130623_120907.jpg
                  - Brian Meissen
                  Owner, MiFBody.com

Comment

Thats pretty impressive i may have to try that!
                    -Joel
                    1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
                    1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

So far I'm in love with this product. Jason Debler applied a similar product that was a spray on spray paint and it turned his wheels yellow. That's why I tried this on the 5th gen. It's not for the faint of heart -- from what I understand, if you decide you want to remove this product (if it yellows, if you think it's too glossy, etc) you have to use a wire brush against the tire to get it off.

That said - it's been 2 weeks and I'm feeling confident that this product is good. The first time I applied it was to only one wheel that was slightly damp and it turned a yellow hue and looked horrible. I waited 24 hours for the tire to thoroughly dry off and then I resprayed it. The respray took away all of the yellow hue and it looked great. So at this point, I believe if it does turn yellow or start looking like crap that a simple respray would fix it.
                      - Brian Meissen
                      Owner, MiFBody.com

Comment

That stuff is impressive, I will have to check it out ! I have about 100ft of dirt to drive down to get to my driveway and just the spray bottle stuff gets nasty after a few trips
                        sigpic

Go BIG or go HOME!

2000 Camaro SS Triple Black, 6 speed, Born 6/16/2000. SLP #8468. Plenty of Goodies

Comment

I'm wondering how it will work on older tires. I guess thats enough excuse to go try some.

The only concern i have is, when it actually does start wearing off, will it start peeling? i don't like the idea of wire brushing my tires everytime i need to reapply.

Keep us updated Brian!

2001 Bright Rally Red Camaro SS
                          - M6, Livernois Stage 3 ported 243 heads, Livernois 230/236 114 LSA cam, FRPP 36# injectors, Ported TB, SLP MAF, Volant CAI, Kooks 1 3/4 headers & ORY, GMMG Cat-back. Koni SA 4/3's, BMR springs, Founders Performance, STB, LCA's and Panhard bar.

Comment

deff going to be buying some of this stuff soon

Comment

Originally posted by Dummybait View Post
                              I'm wondering how it will work on older tires. I guess thats enough excuse to go try some.

The only concern i have is, when it actually does start wearing off, will it start peeling? i don't like the idea of wire brushing my tires everytime i need to reapply.

Keep us updated Brian!
                              From what I could tell it appears like if it starts to yellow or needs reapplying that you can just spray over it and it'll be OK. But I'm not 100% sure, will know in time.
                              - Brian Meissen
                              Owner, MiFBody.com

Comment

Working...
                              X