99 Trans am
    5.7 LS1
    Long tube headers
    Cat delete
    3" cat back
    Flow master
    I hate the way it sounds
    Thinking of magnaflow due to price
    Hearing that it's a deeper throaty sounding muffler.
    I don't like the raspy sound with the crackle of flow master. And input would help as far as the series of magnaflow.
    Or ? Keep in mind I'm I a budget and I need a shop to install it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put a bullet muffler in the I-pipe. I have a Borla catback, not cats and added a magnaflow bullet after I deleted the cats to kill the rasp.
    2000 Trans Am l 1967 Firebird

sigpic

Comment

I used a Powerstick muffler in the I pipe. Took out 90% of the rasp. Rasp comes from no cats in Y pipe.
      When in doubt, Whip it out !

Comment

Thanks lucky SOB and Farmington

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you put a bullet muffler or powerstick muffler on, do you have to have it re-tuned?
          sigpic

Comment

nope.

Comment

the flowmaster will get less raspy with time, just needs a nice coating of carbon in there haha, also rust makes them sound better too! haha
              "Project Shadowfax" <- Clicky Clicky

1984 Pontiac Trans Am (15th Anniversary Edition)
              L69 (High Output 5.0) / 700r4 Auto Trans

Comment

I have the same setup. I hate my flowmaster.. until 3000+rpm, after which it sounds amazing.. below that though, it sounds ridiculous, and not in a good way. Just cruising through town it's almost offensive it's so loud and raspy lol
                Pacesetter LT's, Pacesetter ORY, full MSD ign., 2 step, rear LCA's, SFC's, B&M Ripper, poly motor mounts, Nitto NT05R's, WS6 wheels, KYB AGX adj. suspension, Eibach Sprotline springs, Trickflow elbow w/K&N, All HVAC deleted w/ delete panel, no AIR, No EGR

96 Z28 Camaro M6
                2008 Silverado quad cab LTZ

Comment

I put the Powerstick muffler in my I pipe and it took care of most of the rasp. then I removed my exhaust tips and replaced them with turndowns and tucked everything up so they can't be seen. I still can hear a rasp when the trans shifts 1-2 but that's the only time. Shoulda just put cats in the y pipe.

Comment

I went with the SLP loudmouth resonator and it eliminated the rasp.

Comment

No one here has mentioned y-pipe yet... The design of the merge of the y-pipe has a huge influence on how raspy any given exhaust will sound. You want a clean merge with a decent volume for scavenging (brief section the diameter is larger than the remainder of the exhaust like a header collector). What you dont want is a "crash" pipe where the banks abrubtly collide and there is no chamber for scavenging to take place.

I experienced this first hand on my car because some jackhole that made a "custom" y-pipe for me did a terrible job, and when i redid it myself using a flowmaster(?) merge from summit my exhaust sounded way better and i noticed a power increase (butt dyno) above 5k rpm.
                      Last edited by JoeliusZ28; September 15th, 2016, 08:54 AM.
                      -Joel
                      1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
                      1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

I've got Borla installed, and totally love the way it sounds

Comment

in case anybody is interested, I do have a Flowmaster merge that I no longer need. sell/trade?

Comment

i'm not a fan of flowmaster also. It is really loud with some drone. I like the deep sound of magnaflow.

Comment

I swapped a flowmaster for a Magnaflow and was much happier.
                              sigpic
                              If you come across a cobra in the wild, wipe it off and apologize.

Comment

Working...
                              X