Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never fear YoshiBear is here! LoL

ok as far as the cam goes :
    ( Sorry if this is a bit random but its just the way my brain works..or doesnt)

The kit is made by comp cams ( ...or was it crane?) for GM who then puts there stamp on it

The cam has real nice streetability, Just the right amount of lope for a daily driver and doesnt seem to have problems with cold weather or anything like that. And you cant really beat the price for three very critical valvetrain componants. The question is...what is your car gonna be? a daily driver, a sunny day car or (uGH!) a trailer queen. For a daily driver I wouldn't go much wilder than this cam, a little bigger maybe but not much.
    I had this Cam installed by a shop along with some bolt on's ( intake and exhaust stuff) and I dyno'd 300 rwhp but keep in mind thats without a computer tune or the proper size injectors and that makes a big difference. You WILL need a computer tune otherwise the car will run rich but you CAN drive it without one so thats another bonus. Also doing this kit should let you raise your rev limiter at LEAST 500 rpm safely (complements of the roller rockers). Another thing, if you dont do a PCM tune you'll notice that the motor is a complete dog in the low end but will run like a raped ape once you get past 4000 rpm. A computer tune should take care of that though. I havent had my computer tuned yet and with the stock rev limiter a cant even reach peak horsepower, you can feel the car still pulling hard when the rev limiter kicks in.

If I could do it over again It would depend on my cash situation more than anything seeing as to buy 1.6 (or 1.7 ) ratio roller rockers, a slightly larger cam, and the same springs would cost something around $700-$800 (depending on what from who) where as the whole Hot cam kit is only $550. Bottom line Im very happy with the cam kit but if you've got money flying out the exhaust pipe you might want to shop around for seperate parts to crank out that extra 10 hp.

I never ran at the track with just the cam and exhaust so I cant help you there. But I have run against a few bolt on SS's and everytime I get the same question : WHAT THE HELL DO YOU HAVE DONE TO THAT THING! so yeah, it works

With a good track day I think the hot cam kit will cover everything you want. Hope that helps
    The Chevy Camaro was built with a single purpose in mind which it executes flawlessly...Going very very fast in a straight line until your hair catches on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by CollinsAutomotive
      If your willing to port the heads and intake manifold along with full bolts on we have a few grinds that will put you in the 350ish range with a stalled automatic unlocked and keep the power under 6200rpm.
      Hey mister collins automotive, not to gank joelius's thread but I believe it was you SS4matt pointed towards and said "get tuned by this man for he is wise". SO what would you charge for a dyno tune and PCM reprogram ?
      The Chevy Camaro was built with a single purpose in mind which it executes flawlessly...Going very very fast in a straight line until your hair catches on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by YoshiBear
        Never fear YoshiBear is here! LoL

ok as far as the cam goes :
        ( Sorry if this is a bit random but its just the way my brain works..or doesnt)

The kit is made by comp cams ( ...or was it crane?) for GM who then puts there stamp on it

The cam has real nice streetability, Just the right amount of lope for a daily driver and doesnt seem to have problems with cold weather or anything like that. And you cant really beat the price for three very critical valvetrain componants. The question is...what is your car gonna be? a daily driver, a sunny day car or (uGH!) a trailer queen. For a daily driver I wouldn't go much wilder than this cam, a little bigger maybe but not much.
        I had this Cam installed by a shop along with some bolt on's ( intake and exhaust stuff) and I dyno'd 300 rwhp but keep in mind thats without a computer tune or the proper size injectors and that makes a big difference. You WILL need a computer tune otherwise the car will run rich but you CAN drive it without one so thats another bonus. Also doing this kit should let you raise your rev limiter at LEAST 500 rpm safely (complements of the roller rockers). Another thing, if you dont do a PCM tune you'll notice that the motor is a complete dog in the low end but will run like a raped ape once you get past 4000 rpm. A computer tune should take care of that though. I havent had my computer tuned yet and with the stock rev limiter a cant even reach peak horsepower, you can feel the car still pulling hard when the rev limiter kicks in.

If I could do it over again It would depend on my cash situation more than anything seeing as to buy 1.6 (or 1.7 ) ratio roller rockers, a slightly larger cam, and the same springs would cost something around $700-$800 (depending on what from who) where as the whole Hot cam kit is only $550. Bottom line Im very happy with the cam kit but if you've got money flying out the exhaust pipe you might want to shop around for seperate parts to crank out that extra 10 hp.

I never ran at the track with just the cam and exhaust so I cant help you there. But I have run against a few bolt on SS's and everytime I get the same question : WHAT THE HELL DO YOU HAVE DONE TO THAT THING! so yeah, it works

With a good track day I think the hot cam kit will cover everything you want. Hope that helps
        thank you, i appreciate the input! my car is definitely not a daily driver, i usually only do about 3k a year. But my car is also primo and i want to keep it that way. its not a drag car or anything im gonna rag on until she blows, i want it to be reliable and last. Ive got plenty of time to decide, but this is the kind of opinion i like to hear.
        -Joel
        1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
        1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

Hey mister collins automotive, not to gank joelius's thread but I believe it was you SS4matt pointed towards and said "get tuned by this man for he is wise". SO what would you charge for a dyno tune and PCM reprogram ?
          yeah Josh, Sean is who i was speaking of to talk to for LT1 tunes along with tuning anything else you can imagine!

1998 Camaro SS Bullseye Turbo
          2002 F-250 7.3 Leveled on 20s with 35's
          2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary
          http://www.mifbody.com/vbulletin/sho...-Update/page11

Comment

Jsut an lt4 hot cam with the usal upgrades ??? $450

Comment

Jsut an lt4 hot cam with the usal upgrades ??? $450
              Yeah I have a LT4 hot cam kit, with ported and polished heads and intake, enlarged valves ( 2.0 intake, 1.55 exhaust) then the usual intake and exhaust stuff. Plus I plan on installing 32# injectors right before I have it tuned so it will need to be adjusted for that as well. I dont know if that affects price or not. I know most of the difference I will feel will be in how the car reacts and responds. but could you give me a rough estimate of what the horsepower increase will be?

Comment

Yeah I have a LT4 hot cam kit, with ported and polished heads and intake, enlarged valves ( 2.0 intake, 1.55 exhaust) then the usual intake and exhaust stuff. Plus I plan on installing 32# injectors right before I have it tuned so it will need to be adjusted for that as well. I dont know if that affects price or not. I know most of the difference I will feel will be in how the car reacts and responds. but could you give me a rough estimate of what the horsepower increase will be?
                im no expert but i would think you could easily get 30rwhp out of a tune. you can get 15 on a stock car, let alone all the mods you have. You might be pretty close to 350 rwhp after a tuning.
                -Joel

Comment

Originally posted by JoeliusZ28
                  im no expert but i would think you could easily get 30rwhp out of a tune. you can get 15 on a stock car, let alone all the mods you have. You might be pretty close to 350 rwhp after a tuning.
                  That would be enough to make me happy....for now thanx!

Comment

That would be enough to make me happy....for now thanx!
                    I have never seen a LT4 hot cam car make anywhere near 350whp. As for the tune sometime we turn up power sometimes we don;t Most of the reasoning behind a tune is to correct driveability issues. As for the tune nope none of that affects the price.

Sean

Comment

I have never seen a LT4 hot cam car make anywhere near 350whp. As for the tune sometime we turn up power sometimes we don;t Most of the reasoning behind a tune is to correct driveability issues. As for the tune nope none of that affects the price.

Sean
                      i was told that you used a mustang dyno correct? dont those dyno lower numbers?
                      -Joel

Comment

Yes, Seans Mustang Dyno is "stingier" then most, but probably one of the most accurate i've been on...if you're looking for a dyno queen number...go to a DynoJet...those are the ego makers IMO
                        1998 Camaro SS Bullseye Turbo
                        2002 F-250 7.3 Leveled on 20s with 35's
                        2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary
                        http://www.mifbody.com/vbulletin/sho...-Update/page11

Comment

what is a "mustang" dyno? a brand name or something?

Comment

yep just a brand or type.
                            Doing less with more

Comment

Sean
                              right but I have more than just the cam kit into the car so...i dunno.
                              I looked around on the internet and just about everybody recomends a dyno tune over a "mail order" tune. so you should here from me in the next month or two.

Comment

i have a hot cam in my SS kinda its the GM847
                                1997 Camaro SS convertible #594-Gone but never forgotten
                                1995 Camaro Z28 hard top - 14:1 355.
                                1997 Camaro SS convertible #455 30th anv #80

Comment

Working...
                                X